Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #2491
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Driver left it idling and trotted across to visit the station.
Always amazed me how flip some drivers can be about the truck and load.

That is a lot of responsibility to walk off and leave ready to go, even running. I suppose many feel that since shifting a multi range gearbox is far too complex a matter that in of itself is deterrent enough.

But.

Some idiot who is smart enough to release the brakes, and get it in gear is all it takes to turn a good day into a very bad one.

And should someone be sharp enough to actually get away, there is a lot of money hooked to a truck that itself is worth more than most of us make in a year or two.

Either way, there would be some explaining to do if it wasn't still sitting there when he came back out.

That's a big fold-up disk harrow hooked on behind, but I was too close to show the whole rig.
Multi shot panorama.

Or, a different perspective.

12-22-2018, 07:41 PM - 2 Likes   #2492
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Multi shot panorama.

Almost a "road train"

---------- Post added 12-22-18 at 08:42 PM ----------

Don't ask me why. I guess when you are sitting in the passenger seat with a camera, these things happen.

12-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #2493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Multi shot panorama.

Two 40 foot trailers? I can't imagine it, that driver must be skilled.
12-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #2494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote

The first trailer appears to be a 53 footer and the second may well be a 48 footer, however it is difficult to determine given the angle. Very nice photography.

TT

12-23-2018, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #2495
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
The first trailer appears to be a 53 footer and the second may well be a 48 footer, however it is difficult to determine given the angle. Very nice photography.

TT
Both trailers are 53 feet long. Each has a pintle hook at the back. The converter dolly has tandem axles, rather than the single axle dolly used for coupling 28 foot trailers for triple trailer configurations.
12-23-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #2496
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both trailers are 53 feet long. Each has a pintle hook at the back. The converter dolly has tandem axles, rather than the single axle dolly used for coupling 28 foot trailers for triple trailer configurations.
Thanks, appreciate the information.

TT
12-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #2497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Call me silly, but I wouldn't want to drive along side that on a twisty road.

12-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #2498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Guess hauling two 53 footers like that is primarily done on long haul runs over Interstate/multilane highways to terminals close to the highways. I wouldn't want to try and move such a rig through city streets or even a tight interchange
12-23-2018, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #2499
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Call me silly, but I wouldn't want to drive along side that on a twisty road.
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Guess hauling two 53 footers like that is primarily done on long haul runs over Interstate/multilane highways to terminals close to the highways. I wouldn't want to try and move such a rig through city streets or even a tight interchange
Setups like that are limited strictly interstate or open highway operations. The set of 53' doubles was seen in Saskatoon. They only run the open prairie highways in the plains of central Canada.

There are also similar setups run on the Ohio Turnpike, with marshaling yards where the sets are built up and broke apart while going to and from the freight terminals. They run all manner of trailers too, dry box, reefer box, flatbed, tank.

They also run double 53's in some parts of Oklahoma, and I think in the Dakotas.

Out in the Western half of the US they also run sets of 28.5 foot pups in triples. Like below:

12-23-2018, 03:30 PM - 4 Likes   #2500
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since pictures of freight getting hauled look to be in now here is probably one of the last lakers of the season on Superior taken on the 21st of December. Looked like it is heading to Thunder Bay. Cropped down but was taken with my 135mm so I probably should have used my 200 or even the 300 instead.

12-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #2501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Since pictures of freight getting hauled look to be in now here is probably one of the last lakers of the season on Superior taken on the 21st of December. Looked like it is heading to Thunder Bay. Cropped down but was taken with my 135mm so I probably should have used my 200 or even the 300 instead.
The Lakers will be plying Lake Superior for a while yet. The ships will be hauling ore and coal out of Duluth/Superior, Silver Bay & Two Harbors until the 15th of January when the Soo locks close for the season
12-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #2502
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The ships will be hauling ore and coal out of Duluth/Superior, Silver Bay & Two Harbors until the 15th of January when the Soo locks close for the season
I thought the shipping season up there was closer to being done, but it has been abnormally warm this year.
12-24-2018, 05:31 AM   #2503
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I thought the shipping season up there was closer to being done, but it has been abnormally warm this year.
No not any more. The St Lawrence Seaway between Lake Erie and Montreal shuts down around the New Year but The Corp of Engineers keep the Soo lock open until January 15th and sometimes later every year.

Depending on ice conditions shipping on Lakes Erie, Huron & Michigan is now pretty well year round for a few ships. Even on Lake Superior ships will run after the 15th hauling ore and coal to the steel mill in Sault Ste, Marie on the Canadian Side from Superior and Marquette and Coal from Superior to the Generating Plant in Marquette

Both the US and Canadian Coast Guards work together to provide Ice Breaking Services to keep the ships moving during the winter

I worked on the Canadian Lakers for almost 28 years. If you check some of my posts in this thread and others you will see pictures from the ships I worked on doing the Winter Trade and in the ice hauling salt from Goderich Ontario to Chicago and Milwaukee

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 12-24-2018 at 05:49 AM.
12-26-2018, 05:42 AM   #2504
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sailboat docket in Ponce, PR

SMC Tak 35/3.5 on K-50
12-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #2505
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Depending on ice conditions shipping on Lakes Erie, Huron & Michigan is now pretty well year round for a few ships. Even on Lake Superior ships will run after the 15th hauling ore and coal to the steel mill in Sault Ste, Marie on the Canadian Side from Superior and Marquette and Coal from Superior to the Generating Plant in Marquette
Learn something new every day.

f you check some of my posts in this thread and others you will see pictures from the ships I worked on doing the Winter Trade and in the ice hauling salt from Goderich Ontario to Chicago and Milwaukee
I will have to check those out.
Closed Thread