Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8422 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #2686
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
My favorite ferry is the Brussells Free Ferry which crosses the Illinois River, not a long way above it's mouth on the Mississippi. It doesn't travel a long way, and it doesn't carry a lot of vehicles. But you don't have to wait for it a long time, it's fun, and it's free.

Brussels Ferry - Bussels and Grafton, Illinois - Ferries and Ferry Landings on Waymarking.com
Thanks, that's good to know. I will try to get there some time, we are in the St. Louis area quite a bit.

02-23-2019, 10:45 AM - 5 Likes   #2687
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kayaking

02-24-2019, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #2688
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
"Luigi"
A buddy had one of these in college...we went zipping by our electronics classroom one sunny afternoon while the teacher was teaching his class. We were supposed to be in that class. He may not have noticed except that we were all standing up through the sunroof as we did a second slow drive-by....saluting. *sigh*
02-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #2689
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
View from a ferry...a BC Ferries ferry

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by CharLac; 03-02-2019 at 03:56 PM.
02-24-2019, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #2690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1958 Corvette seen at the Coppell TX car show last September. While it was *very* nice, it wasn't an immaculate example. I'm thinking this car is a daily driver, showing some signs of wear. DA16-45 on K10D:

The judges making their rounds:

Last edited by paulh; 02-24-2019 at 10:25 AM.
02-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #2691
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
1958 Corvette seen at the Coppell TX car show last September. While it was *very* nice, it wasn't an immaculate example. I'm thinking this car is a daily driver, showing some signs of wear. DA16-45 on K10D:
Nice car; personally, I prefer cars that are driven.

My favourite example:
A few years back a Model T club came through our area. Every year they get together for a month and drive from a point A to point B. That year was Kalispell MT to Jasper AB. I stopped to help one fellow change a tire at the side of Highway 3 West of Hosmer on the way to the Fernie BC overnight stop. He had picked up a spike. His car was original. He said his top speed was around 38 mph (speed limit was 100 K/hr (62 mph) and most of us tend to "cheat" by about 5 mph. He didn't feel comfortable in the traffic lane, and was driving the not overly clean shoulder of the road. He and his wife old me that the following year the club was going to Italy.

-
02-26-2019, 01:27 AM   #2692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Nice car; personally, I prefer cars that are driven.
Agree - nothing wrong with a nice old "road warrior" !

02-26-2019, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Car in an arch, a long-time landmark along Farmington Rd., on the fringe of Peoria, Illinois. It hasn't always been the current car. Thirty-five years ago it was a real junker.

Russian Lubitel 2 TLR + amber warming filter
+ expired Tri-X exposed at iso 300, normal devl & scans by Old School Photo
+ some despotting & minor digital tweaking by me

(cross-posted in the BW film shots thread)
02-27-2019, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #2694
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'm thinking this car is a daily driver
Hey, I wouldn't mind giving it a spin every day!

Something totally different - Vancouver Fire and Rescue - FB1.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-27-2019, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #2695
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Car in an arch, a long-time landmark along Farmington Rd., on the fringe of Peoria, Illinois. It hasn't always been the current car. Thirty-five years ago it was a real junker.

Russian Lubitel 2 TLR + amber warming filter
+ expired Tri-X exposed at iso 300, normal devl & scans by Old School Photo
+ some despotting & minor digital tweaking by me

(cross-posted in the BW film shots thread)

Is that like the McDonlad's of car dealerships?
02-27-2019, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #2696
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Racing the boat along Windermere., I was on my bike using this forestry path, the challenge was to find a gap in the trees to shoot the boat

02-27-2019, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #2697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Is that like the McDonlad's of car dealerships?
There aren't cars for sale out in front of the building. At the time I took the picture, I didn't really know what the business did, but back when the elevated car was more of a junker, I thought there was a junk yard there. Some of the largest junk yards in the region are very near there. I suspect the property is under new management now.

This is what the business's website says: "At Neal Auto Parts we specialize in providing our customers with superior quality late-model recycled auto parts." So I guess that makes it an upscale junk yard.

I have wondered whether there might have been an early McDonalds restaurant there at one time, but the arch looks to be quite a bit taller than those I saw on the earliest restaurants I recall from the late 1950s. It's possible though, there was less standardization in the restaurant designs then, and some might have had taller front arches. If there was an early McDonalds there, the bar holding the car might be the bar that supported the lower part of the animated marching hamburger man neon sign they used to have. I remember when the hamburger man in the arch waved a sign that said "15c" on it, what a McDonalds hamburger cost at the time.
02-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #2698
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
There aren't cars for sale out in front of the building. At the time I took the picture, I didn't really know what the business did, but back when the elevated car was more of a junker, I thought there was a junk yard there. Some of the largest junk yards in the region are very near there. I suspect the property is under new management now.

This is what the business's website says: "At Neal Auto Parts we specialize in providing our customers with superior quality late-model recycled auto parts." So I guess that makes it an upscale junk yard.

I have wondered whether there might have been an early McDonalds restaurant there at one time, but the arch looks to be quite a bit taller than those I saw on the earliest restaurants I recall from the late 1950s. It's possible though, there was less standardization in the restaurant designs then, and some might have had taller front arches. If there was an early McDonalds there, the bar holding the car might be the bar that supported the lower part of the animated marching hamburger man neon sign they used to have. I remember when the hamburger man in the arch waved a sign that said "15c" on it, what a McDonalds hamburger cost at the time.
Could be a reference to the St. Louis arch.
02-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #2699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Could be a reference to the St. Louis arch.
Were it meant as a commemorative monument, it probably would have been built on the Peoria riverfront or in one of it's very scenic parks, not down at the junkyard end of town. Also the St. Louis arch wasn't even begun to be built until 1963, and this arch might well be older, especially if it is a vestige of a very early McDonalds restaurant.
02-28-2019, 03:50 AM - 6 Likes   #2700
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
4:08 to Upfield. Flagstaff Station, Melbourne. KP + DA 20-40 Ltd

Last edited by Des; 03-01-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Closed Thread