Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 01:34 AM - 3 Likes   #2731
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
If it was built by Budd, it passed through my dad's hands. Starting with their first railcars the Zephyrs in 1934 my dad was responsible first for the electrical assembly, then all final assembly of railcar manufacture through to the Metroliners. He retired in 1970. Thanks for this pic.
These were built by Budd (ib their Philly plant) sometime in the late 1960's. the design is similar to the Chicago versions I have seen. Later, due to demand (a few hundred were eventually built), Vickers Canada made several dozen as well. At present, PATCO is still using nearly 200 of these. They were "re-manufactured" in 2015-2019. Some of these cars are 50 years old now. The exteriors were acid washed and re-finished, the interiors gutted, and all new electronics, lighting and push motors re-done by ALSTOM in upstate New York.

Your father and the engineers at BUDD built some of the best equipment in the history of rail travel. It;'s a true testament that these look and run as well as they do. I will try and get a pic of the interior ID plate with the manufacturer location and other data for you....here's a front view

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
03-09-2019, 09:33 AM - 4 Likes   #2732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
KC0PET's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Central Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,588
Loading the baggage. Took a trip to west Texas this week.



---------- Post added 03-09-19 at 10:44 AM ----------

Taking off from Dallas/Ft. Worth. This is a classic "Texas" freeway with slip ramps and continuous one-way service roads (sorry it is a highway engineer thing).

03-09-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #2733
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,631
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Loading the baggage. Took a trip to west Texas this week.
That's the old fashioned way.

Today the ramp rats work inside, cramming everyone's luggage into aluminum boxes, designed to fit snugly in the cargo deck, and be loaded mostly by conveyors and then tracks and motorized rollers on the cargo deck floor.

Fascinating to watch how it all works.

But you don't get to sit in the plane and watch some gorilla throw you bags around.

Those were the days, eh?
03-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #2734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
KC0PET's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Central Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,588
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
These were built by Budd (ib their Philly plant) sometime in the late 1960's. the design is similar to the Chicago versions I have seen. Later, due to demand (a few hundred were eventually built), Vickers Canada made several dozen as well. At present, PATCO is still using nearly 200 of these. They were "re-manufactured" in 2015-2019. Some of these cars are 50 years old now. The exteriors were acid washed and re-finished, the interiors gutted, and all new electronics, lighting and push motors re-done by ALSTOM in upstate New York.

Your father and the engineers at BUDD built some of the best equipment in the history of rail travel. It;'s a true testament that these look and run as well as they do. I will try and get a pic of the interior ID plate with the manufacturer location and other data for you....here's a front view
Very interesting. I love the look of those, kind of a classic/retro transit train look.

03-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #2735
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,631
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Taking off from Dallas/Ft. Worth. This is a classic "Texas" freeway with slip ramps and continuous one-way service roads (sorry it is a highway engineer thing).
I can relate, having worked in civil engineering just out of college.

The first time I drove through Texas was a surprise. It took some changes in how I viewed navigating where I wanted to go, and a different strategy for figuring out where to get off, and get back on.

Something else I found odd was how that style didn't carry over to some of the more rural parts of the state.

And the 85 mph limit out West was awesome.

I found the mechanical limit for Monstro's top end out there. It felt good to be rolling along at speed, the road surfaces are in good condition, and very smooth. I'd like to go there in one of my cars.
03-09-2019, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #2736
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
KC0PET's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Central Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,588
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's the old fashioned way.

Today the ramp rats work inside, cramming everyone's luggage into aluminum boxes, designed to fit snugly in the cargo deck, and be loaded mostly by conveyors and then tracks and motorized rollers on the cargo deck floor.

Fascinating to watch how it all works.

But you don't get to sit in the plane and watch some gorilla throw you bags around.

Those were the days, eh?
It is cool seeing some old school stuff still in action. At Columbia, MO, they still use the roll around ramps on the tarmac. A new airport terminal is in the works, though to update things and expand.
03-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #2737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
AggieDad's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 731
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
These were built by Budd (ib their Philly plant) sometime in the late 1960's. the design is similar to the Chicago versions I have seen. Later, due to demand (a few hundred were eventually built), Vickers Canada made several dozen as well. At present, PATCO is still using nearly 200 of these. They were "re-manufactured" in 2015-2019. Some of these cars are 50 years old now. The exteriors were acid washed and re-finished, the interiors gutted, and all new electronics, lighting and push motors re-done by ALSTOM in upstate New York.

Your father and the engineers at BUDD built some of the best equipment in the history of rail travel. It;'s a true testament that these look and run as well as they do. I will try and get a pic of the interior ID plate with the manufacturer location and other data for you....here's a front view
Thanks for the additional photo of the PATCO cars. We see no passenger service (well, there might be an occasional Amtrak) down here in Houston. It's nice to know some of these old cars are still going.

Late '60s. Too late for me. I worked at the plant as a "production electrician" the summer of 1964 between my junior and senior years in college. I worked the B Shift installing (but not wiring in) the wire packs in cars for the Phila. Subway. I also worked on a few dome cars headed out to the Union Pacific.

Take a look at post #2719 of this thread to see the absolute first train Budd ever built. This Zephyr, Number 9900, was the first stainless-steel train built. It was also the first diesel, the first streamliner, the first ... (oh, you get the idea). Pop was an electrical foreman for the building of this train.
03-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #2738
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,631
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
It is cool seeing some old school stuff still in action. At Columbia, MO, they still use the roll around ramps on the tarmac. A new airport terminal is in the works, though to update things and expand.
The county airport that Boeing Everett is adjacent to began commercial flight service last week. Something that has been on the table for years, and met with strong resistance from the local community. Alaska airlines I think is the first carrier to offer flights in and out.

The airport is no longer the friendly little county general aviation former Army base airstrip with a major airplane manufacturing facility next door.

Time waits for no man.

03-09-2019, 12:11 PM - 4 Likes   #2739
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 204
Douglas C-54 "Spirit of Freedom", one of the last survivors of the fleet that carried out the Berlin Airlift in 1948 and 1949. She overwinters in Winston-Salem, NC.

03-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #2740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Thanks for the additional photo of the PATCO cars. We see no passenger service (well, there might be an occasional Amtrak) down here in Houston. It's nice to know some of these old cars are still going.

Late '60s. Too late for me. I worked at the plant as a "production electrician" the summer of 1964 between my junior and senior years in college. I worked the B Shift installing (but not wiring in) the wire packs in cars for the Phila. Subway. I also worked on a few dome cars headed out to the Union Pacific.

Take a look at post #2719 of this thread to see the absolute first train Budd ever built. This Zephyr, Number 9900, was the first stainless-steel train built. It was also the first diesel, the first streamliner, the first ... (oh, you get the idea). Pop was an electrical foreman for the building of this train.
AggieDad: Stainless steel trains in the 21st Century would cost a real bundle now. As it was, PATCO stated that it cost over $1 Million just to refurbish these cars--with the Stainless shell intact. Can only imagine how much it would cost to build these today (5-10 million a car?). Plus, would they have been built with the same pride and quality as the 1960's BUDD products? I hope so, but one never knows.
03-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #2741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,313
PATCO "BUDD" Co. Plaque

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Thanks for the additional photo of the PATCO cars. We see no passenger service (well, there might be an occasional Amtrak) down here in Houston. It's nice to know some of these old cars are still going.

Late '60s. Too late for me. I worked at the plant as a "production electrician" the summer of 1964 between my junior and senior years in college. I worked the B Shift installing (but not wiring in) the wire packs in cars for the Phila. Subway. I also worked on a few dome cars headed out to the Union Pacific.

Take a look at post #2719 of this thread to see the absolute first train Budd ever built. This Zephyr, Number 9900, was the first stainless-steel train built. It was also the first diesel, the first streamliner, the first ... (oh, you get the idea). Pop was an electrical foreman for the building of this train.
AggieDad:

Here is a pic with the original Budd Co. plaque along with the 'remanufactured' plaque from Alstom. Perhaps by viewing it, you can find out some additional info about these excellent trains.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
03-12-2019, 03:47 PM - 3 Likes   #2742
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
KC0PET's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Central Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,588
Driving up Highway 63 after a snow

03-13-2019, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #2743
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,547
1969 Camaro RS seen at a car show last Fall. DA16-45/4:
03-13-2019, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #2744
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,631
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
AggieDad:

Here is a pic with the original Budd Co. plaque along with the 'remanufactured' plaque from Alstom. Perhaps by viewing it, you can find out some additional info about these excellent trains.
The Budd Corporation was into everything, railcars, automotive, heavy trucks, and more.

Here is a detail of the Budd lug nut system for heavy truck dual wheels:

03-13-2019, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #2745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Budd Corporation was into everything, railcars, automotive, heavy trucks, and more.

Here is a detail of the Budd lug nut system for heavy truck dual wheels:
Apparently, Budd held thousands of patents dealing with transportation equipment and heavy platform work. A very dynamic American Company that sadly went out of business late last century. In fact, Budd Co. was so significant in Philadelphia that their original plant, built in 1917 on Hunting Park Avenue (not far from the original TastyKake plant) was declared an historic landmark and is preserved to this day. The company was founded in Philly in 1912, and patented the stainless "shotweld" system that revolutionized stainless manufacturing by joining pieces of Stainless without damaging the anti-oxidation properties. Amazing company. Wish it was still here.

---------- Post added 03-13-19 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Very interesting. I love the look of those, kind of a classic/retro transit train look.
And nearly 200 are still going...American industry was great. Maybe we can see some new manufacturing with the quality of a plant like BUDD Co. The interiors are brand new--remind of the NJ Transit trains that got to Penn Station in New York.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
500mm, auckland, bill, boat, cars, engine, farm, flickr, ford, guard, hull, hydroplane, k-3, million, morris, nissan, oil, packard, pak, pay, people, pm, post, production, r0ckstarr, rolls, sigma, time, turbine, vehicles
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery Road Trains Bruce Clark Post Your Photos! 25 02-03-2014 10:25 AM
Night Planes at night RobG Post Your Photos! 5 04-24-2011 06:11 PM
Travel Travel Trains - (no planes or automobiles) - Part II daacon Post Your Photos! 12 03-11-2011 05:46 PM
Travel Trains - (no planes or automobiles) - Part I daacon Post Your Photos! 9 03-10-2011 07:46 PM
WINNERS P52-2-38: Automobiles Rense Weekly Photo Challenges 10 04-12-2010 09:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top