Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #2747
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Apparently, Budd held thousands of patents dealing with transportation equipment and heavy platform work. A very dynamic American Company that sadly went out of business late last century. In fact, Budd Co. was so significant in Philadelphia that their original plant, built in 1917 on Hunting Park Avenue (not far from the original TastyKake plant) was declared an historic landmark and is preserved to this day. The company was founded in Philly in 1912, and patented the stainless "shotweld" system that revolutionized stainless manufacturing by joining pieces of Stainless without damaging the anti-oxidation properties. Amazing company. Wish it was still here.

---------- Post added 03-13-19 at 11:17 AM ----------

Pop started at the Hunting Park plant in 1934 and moved to the new plant on Red Lion Road when it was built by the government in 1942 for the war. The company got involved in developing a short take-off & landing airplane to get to the South American rubber plantations. They built at least one (maybe 2) prototypes - my dad did get a ride in one - before the project was shut down because figured out large scale manufacture of artificial rubber.

I know my dad’s name was on a couple of those patents - one for a tamper-proof screw that was used on the Phila. Subway cars. Another was for a wiring system they used in production. There may have others.

After the war Budd bought the plant (for a song I bet) and that is where all railcars were built. They were also making auto chasses there when I was there in the early 1960s.

Apparently Edw. Budd Jr. spent time on the production floor, because I know that every once in a while when he would be at the Red Lion plant he would stop down and visit with my dad. I am guessing that is how he would have known him.

It is interesting to know that the Hunting Park plant is now a landmark. When did that happen? I left the Philly area some 38 years ago and seldom get back there.

About Tastykake. When I was in college the son of the Tastykake president lived in our dorm, and every Thursday there was a big box of Tastykakes on the mail table. First in the door usually grabbed them. I don’t know if they ever got to their intended recipient. And who didn’t like Butterscotch Krimpets?
03-17-2019, 03:26 AM   #2748
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Pop started at the Hunting Park plant in 1934 and moved to the new plant on Red Lion Road when it was built by the government in 1942 for the war. The company got involved in developing a short take-off & landing airplane to get to the South American rubber plantations. They built at least one (maybe 2) prototypes - my dad did get a ride in one - before the project was shut down because figured out large scale manufacture of artificial rubber.

I know my dad’s name was on a couple of those patents - one for a tamper-proof screw that was used on the Phila. Subway cars. Another was for a wiring system they used in production. There may have others.

After the war Budd bought the plant (for a song I bet) and that is where all railcars were built. They were also making auto chasses there when I was there in the early 1960s.

Apparently Edw. Budd Jr. spent time on the production floor, because I know that every once in a while when he would be at the Red Lion plant he would stop down and visit with my dad. I am guessing that is how he would have known him.

It is interesting to know that the Hunting Park plant is now a landmark. When did that happen? I left the Philly area some 38 years ago and seldom get back there.

About Tastykake. When I was in college the son of the Tastykake president lived in our dorm, and every Thursday there was a big box of Tastykakes on the mail table. First in the door usually grabbed them. I don’t know if they ever got to their intended recipient. And who didn’t like Butterscotch Krimpets?
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
The Hunting Park plant was ultimately closed in 2002 and was made a landmark approximately 8 years later.
03-18-2019, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #2749
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Boaters returning from a morning on the water, entering the cut at Deception Pass.

03-18-2019, 05:34 AM   #2750
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Broad & Chestnut Streets

Girard Bank Building (now part of the Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LEICA CL  Photo 
03-18-2019, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2751
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An old stationed wagon:

Pentax K-R, iso 100, 1/250
Promaster AF Aspherical f/3.5-5.3 28-80mm, at 80mm, f/5.6
03-18-2019, 06:24 PM - 3 Likes   #2752
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Farm truck in suburbia. The owner told me he picked it up for a song a few years back and was working on it in his spare time. Clearly not aiming for a restoration, as evident by the aftermarket wheels. He said he had a Chevy 350 and automatic transmission in it, and I heard the dual exhausts with what sounded like a set of cherry bombs on them. The owner is hoping to get it roadworthy in time for his grandson to drive it to high school in three years. I'd say the young man will have instant cred if he shows up in this old Ford. SMC Takumar 55 f/2.

03-18-2019, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2753
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1902 Curved Dash Oldsmobile

From the Philadelphia Antique Auto Club
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5c  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5c  Photo 
03-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #2754
Pentaxian

This one really struck me, as I've never seen someone pumping gas sitting down... How big is that vehicle's gas-tank??

03-19-2019, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #2755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
This one really struck me, as I've never seen someone pumping gas sitting down... How big is that vehicle's gas-tank??
Maybe he couldn't stand how high the gas price was that day.
03-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #2756
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Maybe he couldn't stand how high the gas price was that day.
It has been worse... $2.69 cash this week ($2.76 CreditCard)
03-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #2757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wish gas was that price here
Gas here is $1.187/Litre or roughly $3.44.9/US Gallon with no discount for using cash
03-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #2758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Gas here is $1.187/Litre or roughly $3.44.9/US Gallon with no discount for using cash
Wow, and I thought we had it bad!
03-20-2019, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #2759
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
And up here in the mountains of British Columbia we are $1.269/L or $4.82/gal ($4.02/gal US).
03-20-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #2760
Veteran Member

the Us has some of the lowest gas prices on the planet, , as a comparison in Paris today it is 6.78 USD pre US gallon (1.55 euro per liter, i don't feel so bad when i see 1.13 cad now about .75 euro so less than half the price )
Closed Thread