Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #4891
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
In the UK the number plate is allocated by the licensing authority when the vehicle is first registered.It is possible to go through an expensive process to buy a personalised plate but not many people bother.
The first 3 are fine ( you are from Oz ? ) the last 4 not so much ( read with a quick glance )

09-15-2021, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #4892
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
the last 4 not so much
Dave, I read that as 8OZO not BOZO as I assume that you did.
09-15-2021, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #4893
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The first 3 are fine ( you are from Oz ? ) the last 4 not so much ( read with a quick glance )
I’m not from Oz.The way the numbering system works in the UK is the first two letters are a regional area code,the two numbers denote the year it was first registered 08 would be the first half of 2008 and 58 the second half of 2008,the last three letters are AFAIK random.

---------- Post added 09-16-21 at 03:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Dave, I read that as 8OZO not BOZO as I assume that you did.
Doh!I’d not noticed that!

I’ll try to persuade myself it’s less noticeable viewed face on,but some things you can’t unsee!

09-16-2021, 01:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4894
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Iím not from Oz.The way the numbering system works in the UK is the first two letters are a regional area code,the two numbers denote the year it was first registered 08 would be the first half of 2008 and 58 the second half of 2008,the last three letters are AFAIK random.

---------- Post added 09-16-21 at 03:53 AM ----------

Doh!Iíd not noticed that!

Iíll try to persuade myself itís less noticeable viewed face on,but some things you canít unsee!
Sorry Tim I mistook you for the other Tim ( from Oz )..

09-16-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #4895
Pentaxian

Airplane Over the Bronx Into LGA
09-16-2021, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #4896
Pentaxian

It was a pleasure to see this Thunderbird on my daily walk. I was glad to have my camera with me, with a CPC Phase 2 28/2.8 mounted (likely made by Pentax's plant that produced the Cosmicar line of CCTV and industrial lenses, as well as some of the early K-mount lenses).

09-16-2021, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #4897
Pentaxian

I’m not from Oz.The way the numbering system works in the UK is the first two letters are a regional area code,the two numbers denote the year it was first registered 08 would be the first half of 2008 and 58 the second half of 2008,the last three letters are AFAIK random.
Where I live, Arizona used to do three letters + four numbers meaning nothing, just progressing through the alphabet as the years went on. Most states do it this way.

However, they just changed it to a completely random alphanumeric sequence. Any of the characters can be a letter, number, or space. Now all the cars purchased after then change look like they have vanity plates whose intended message can't quite be deciphered. The brain tries so hard to pull meaning from random gibberish. It freaked me out a little before I learned what was going on. I thought I was being surrounded by cultists or something.

Oh, I almost forgot. Nice car.

09-16-2021, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #4898
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Where I live, Arizona used to do three letters + four numbers meaning nothing, just progressing through the alphabet as the years went on. Most states do it this way.

However, they just changed it to a completely random alphanumeric sequence. Any of the characters can be a letter, number, or space. Now all the cars purchased after then change look like they have vanity plates whose intended message can't quite be deciphered. The brain tries so hard to pull meaning from random gibberish. It freaked me out a little before I learned what was going on. I thought I was being surrounded by cultists or something.

Oh, I almost forgot. Nice car.
It is a handsome vehicle.

My license plate is British Columbia Veteran 1551LT. I call the 2002 Tundra it is mounted to a veteran, I am a veteran RCAMC and my wife is a veteran of the RCAMC. I figure the veteran plates are for all three. Oh, yeah, my wife is an RN and was a LieuTenant int the Royal Canadian Medical Corps while I was a LieuTenant administration in the RCAMC.
09-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #4899
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Eons ago, Florida plates began with a county code, "1" for Miami-Dade at the time. Then there might be a "weight" code, with "D" for small cars and "W" or even "WW" for larger, heavier vehicles, then numbers which might have been random, I honestly don't know. Anyway using the county code immediately identified the vehicle's origin, and during the era of the cocaine cowboys (think "Miami Vice" ) a lot of Dade drivers got followed, harassed (or worse) by cops upstate and out-of-state. Eventually the state switched over to a random letter/numeric code. It's possible, with payment of an exorbitant fee, to apply for a "vanity" plate with a self-designated sequence. So now there's no identifying origin on the plate, you have to guess based on the dealer decals on the rear bumper or plate frame.
09-17-2021, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #4900
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Although it may appear random, vehicle licensing departments follow a logical sequential pattern.

In the early days the first letter or number indicated the county or parrish the plate was issued in, followed by a series of numbers and/or letters in a logical sequence. Ultimately the number of vehicles registered exceeded the number of letter/number combinations available, so other strategies were employed.

So sequences usually started AAA 111, to AAA 999, followed by AAB 111, then ABB 111, etc, or 111 AAA, followed by 112 AAA, etc.

Some states used A1A 1A1, then followed the logical progression throughout the plate run.

Midwestern states like Iowa would stack a two character number/letter code followed by four or five numbers and/or letters, again in logical sequence from 1 and A through 0 and Z.

California was the first state to move from six characters to seven, when the number of registered vehicles exceeded the number of possible number/letter combinations. Most jurisdictions now use a seven character scheme.

Also, heavy trucks are usually given a combined unique and different from passenger vehicles.

Municipal, fire and police vehicles also get a specific series of numbers and letters.

For instance, in my state, the Washington state patrol vehicles have the trooper's bagde number. It used to be (Washington State Patrol) WSP 123, until there were more than 999 troopers. Then they switched to (State Patrol) SP 1234. When the state went to seven digit plates, the series changed again, to WSP 1234. City vehicles had a 12345 D scheme until the series was exhausted, then D 12345 series then D 123456 when the seven digit scheme started. County and municipal agencies were 12345 C, then C 12345, then C 123456. The governor gets plate number 1, the state attorney general gets number 2, then 3, 4, 5, etc go to the state representatives.

The US Federal government has their own set of prefix codes signifying what government agency the plate is for, followed by a series of numbers starting at 00001.

I'm not as informed about the numbering schemes in most other countries, but I do know that a logical sequence is employed, and similar distinction is made for trucks, municipal and official vehicles.

Also interesting to note, in the US and Canada (and some other countries), the vehicle licensing authority issues the plates, but places like Great Britain, and European countries, the licensing authority issues the registration number, aand the vehicle owner then goes to a private business that specializes in making plates and they get their pages made.

There is a whole lot more, but it would take more space and time than I have here. In fact several books have been devoted to the subject, and the ALPCA (Automobile License Plate Collector's Association) membership boasts a number of knowledgeable historians whose grey matter is loaded with this information.

Racer, ALPCA member 8426.
09-18-2021, 01:46 AM - 3 Likes   #4901

09-18-2021, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #4902
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amtrak runs exactly one passenger train across Pennsylvania, 017, ĎThe Pennsylvanianí, shown here at Torrance, PA fifty miles from its final destination; Pittsburgh. Running over an hour late and forty-five minutes after sunset!
K-70 w/SMC-A 50/1.4 1/250 @ f2.0 ISO 8000 Manual exposure mode.
Attached Images

09-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #4903
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of US Navy vehicle license plates from NAS Whidbey.

Notice the monochromatic plate doesn't have an expiration date.

Both places have an N prefix, for Navy.
09-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #4904
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The front license plate on my Legacy.

09-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #4905
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Plate on a 36 Ford.