Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2022, 08:11 AM - 3 Likes   #5746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
1930 Bentley Speed Six, sort of an earlier day version of the car above.. Image re-posted from some other thread years ago. The auction price of this car might exceed the new price of the Bugatti above (one sold for about 2.4 million USD, but value depends on a variety of details)
In 1955, a Texas owner of a Bentley Speed Six was driving to a show in Vancouver BC, as people would actually do with their valuable antiques in those days, and I was hitchhiking. He was bored and picked up an impressionable barely 15 year old a few miles North of the US border. So there I am, sitting behind the smaller windscreen used by the mechanic when racing, when an unknowledgeable, stupid owner of a new MG thought he would play games with the big old, slow (?) antique. You know the type, pass, slow down force pass, repeat ad nauseum to show how good a driver he is and how he is driving such a hot car. Owner of Bentley felt frisky, and asked if there was a two lane stretch soon. I pointed out a hill on old highway 99 a few miles ahead. Owner yelled (it was noisy in the old girl) in my ear and said I was to tell him when his exhaust pipe was exactly beside the idiot's left ear and made a pass at the bottom of the hill. I tapped his shoulder as instructed, and he sped up a bit. MG followed. About the time we hit the top speed of the MG Owner of Bentley shifted into top gear and floored it with supercharger screaming leaving MG in the dust, owner's jaw in his slippers. We stopped later for a drink and snack and owner let me in on the secret. He was driving one of the 1928 Le Mans spares and informed me it would do some ridiculously fast 3 digit speeds. Since that day I have lusted over driving one for even a few blocks.

05-13-2022, 01:23 PM   #5747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
A 2018 Bugatti Veyron - the cheapest model is $1.7 million US this year. Let's see, if I sell the house, can I get a mortgage on a car?

Only if you can scare up a minimum of two co-signers and approximately $750,000.00 for a down payment.

Very beautiful motor car capture. Excellent use of lighting, amazingly sharp and could not ask for better composition. Well done sir.

Tony
05-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #5748
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every time I see a little boat such as this one I wonder how many craft of similar size and design there are in the USA.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #5749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
MG touring car, looking extremely inelegant IMHO.
Isn’t that the style they used to call a “doctor’s coupe”? So-called, I understand, because it was just large enough for a doctor and medicine bag.

05-14-2022, 01:36 AM   #5750
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Isn’t that the style they used to call a “doctor’s coupe”? So-called, I understand, because it was just large enough for a doctor and medicine bag.
I've never heard that. The flat, upright window is what destroys the appearance.
05-14-2022, 02:39 AM   #5751
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never heard that. The flat, upright window is what destroys the appearance.
The term seems to have originated with a version of the Model T Ford, quite similar in appearance to the cabin of the MG, ie upright and 2-door. I’ve seen various similar configurations referred to for models of Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Rover.
05-14-2022, 04:22 AM - 3 Likes   #5752
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RJ Corman RR, Clymer Pennsylvania. EMD SD40-2 7109 is over forty years old and working daily for its third owner.

Attached Images

05-14-2022, 04:39 AM   #5753
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The term seems to have originated with a version of the Model T Ford, quite similar in appearance to the cabin of the MG, ie upright and 2-door. I’ve seen various similar configurations referred to for models of Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Rover.
there is this thread from a " Model T forum ":

QuoteQuote:
What exactly is a "Doctors Coupe"

By David Boe on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:46 am:
Greetings Everyone,

I often see Coupes of various makes listed as a Doctors Coupe. What makes them such?

THANKS!
David. . .

Peter Claverie on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:42 pm:
Congratulations, David! You've hit one of the trifecta of subjects guaranteed to start a long list of replies. The other two are the oil you should put in your engine, and the kind of transmission bands to use. Stan is right -- Here We Go!!

Seriously, and there will be some serious answers and some not-so-serious ones, the designation "Doctor's Coupe" is not original. It was added over the years through custom and by sheer numbers.

The "Coupe" model of a Model T, which is an enclosed car with one seat and a trunk, was very popular with country doctors for several reasons, some of which are:

-- It's a Ford, which meant Doc could usually get where he was going.

-- It's enclosed, because Doc had to be available in all weather.

-- It has a trunk, so Doc could carry extra equipment that wouldn't fit in his little black bag.

So, over the years, the sheer number of doctors who drove Model T Coupes made it a commonly-known designation. That's all there is to it.

But, interestingly, if today you see an advertisement for a "Model T Doctor's Coupe," no further explanation of its body type is necessary. So I guess it has a reason to keep being used. . . .
https://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/89028.html?1240976188
05-14-2022, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #5754
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Only if you can scare up a minimum of two co-signers and approximately $750,000.00 for a down payment.

Very beautiful motor car capture. Excellent use of lighting, amazingly sharp and could not ask for better composition. Well done sir.

Tony
I guess I'll have to wait for that lottery win! And thanks for the comments, Tony. The car show helps by providing some good lighting; the McLaren headlight and Aston Martin front end as examples.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Arn; 05-14-2022 at 09:56 AM.
05-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #5755
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
RJ Corman RR, Clymer Pennsylvania.
Nicely framed, Bill!
05-15-2022, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #5756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A300M after delivering some copters for NATO exercises in Poland. K-3 Mk III + HD DA 70mm Limited

05-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #5757

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
A300M after delivering some copters for NATO exercises in Poland. K-3 Mk III + HD DA 70mm Limited
This is A400M Atlas.
05-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #5758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as are these smaller trains ( which also appeals to some who might be just " young at heart " )
That they are. Sometimes just the fact that something exists makes me happy.
05-18-2022, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #5759
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
That they are. Sometimes just the fact that something exists makes me happy.
And sometimes it makes me happy to see kids enjoying something I enjoyed when young, or wish that I had. For us, one of the great appeals of Disney World and Land is that you can ride on anything and pretend you're doing it to make your kid(s) happy.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-20-2022 at 04:10 AM.
05-19-2022, 03:48 PM   #5760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Shipwreck" at a beach park...

Closed Thread