Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8422 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2022, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #5791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A plane for short hops, but taken off the Kirkenes to Oslo run (if this plane ever flew that route) by newer, bigger, much faster chunky short-runway jets.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
06-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #5792
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Some of the vehicles were far more modern than these.
Well the Morgan might be newer than you think. There is probably a lot of jokes that can be made about them all being on that ferry overnight about oil leaks and the lord of dark. British car humor aside I love seeing those old British cars.
06-20-2022, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #5793
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Swanage Railway, Dorset

KP and 16-85
06-20-2022, 11:29 AM   #5794
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Well the Morgan might be newer than you think. There is probably a lot of jokes that can be made about them all being on that ferry overnight about oil leaks and the lord of dark. British car humor aside I love seeing those old British cars.

The club was British, and all save one of the drivers were British. Most but not all of the cars were British. As I will eventually post once I get around to doing some PP, there were also Mercedes, Alpha Romeo, Citroen-Maserati, Porsche, and several Mustangs. The most abundant single car seemed to be E-type Jaguars. I think there were five.

As to the Morgan, I would place it in the 1960's, but it could be later as it was not SFAIK until about 2000 that Morgan introduced some radically new designs, including the re-imagined three-wheeler (I do not know the exact years or model designations)

06-20-2022, 03:21 PM   #5795
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most abundant single car seemed to be E-type Jaguars. I think there were five.
You posted an image of one of the E-types in the alphabet thread...I was tempted to comment on it but didn't want to hijack/sidetrack that thread (CARS or no CARS ). When I was in high school a neighbor had an E-type Jag, which (at the time) I thought was immensely cool. But I never could get used to the narrow toy wheels on it. Nowadays when one sees a vintage E-type, they have wheels and tires that look more proportional.
06-20-2022, 05:36 PM   #5796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most abundant single car seemed to be E-type Jaguars. I think there were five
That isn't surprising. The E-type is a very popular and good looking cark although I do like the XK series better for looks.
and several Mustangs
Reminds me of when I lived in Paris an one Sunday morning I hear the rumble of a very big American V8 with a very lumpy cam idling at the stoplight at the intersection of Rue de Riviloi and Rue du Temple at about 6 AM. I peer out my apartment window and saw a late 60s (didn't get a good enough look to really know but it looks almost exactly like a buddies '67) Olds 442 sitting there and when they got the green they laid some rubber. My apartment was on Rue du Temple and I was the south most one on the upper floor of the building just north of BHV.

As to the Morgan, I would place it in the 1960's, but it could be later as it was not SFAIK until about 2000 that Morgan introduced some radically new designs, including the re-imagined three-wheeler (I do not know the exact years or model designations)
I believe they still make the old looking ones and the trikes but yes sometime in the early 2000s they did start making some more modern looking vehicles but even those still have the retro styling. The one I always wanted was the Morgan Aero 8. Take a BMW 4.4L V8 and stuff it in a retro styled modern Morgan. Although I wouldn't mind one of their modern trikes as they look like a riot to drive a well. However when you see a Morgan it is very clearly a Morgan. Since those are all out of price range I will stick with eventually finishing my post war Midget and since there really isn't much collector value and it isn't like they are rare having some fun with it isn't ruining something special. It has the square rear wheel arches, the 1275cc motor, but doesn't have the big black bumper so while it has desirable motor, preferred bumpers it has the not well loved square wheel arches. Also it isn't like they didn't make a million of the things.
06-21-2022, 04:10 AM   #5797
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you see a Morgan it is very clearly a Morgan. Since those are all out of price range I will stick with eventually finishing my post war Midget and since there really isn't much collector value and it isn't like they are rare having some fun with it isn't ruining something special. It has the square rear wheel arches, the 1275cc motor, but doesn't have the big black bumper so while it has desirable motor, preferred bumpers it has the not well loved square wheel arches. Also it isn't like they didn't make a million of the things.

When I was in college, mid '60s, young and foolish and seeing a vehicle as an extension and expansion of personality, as well as "fun," it was the four-seater Morgan that appealed to me most, the "+4" as I recall. It offered the possibility of sharing the ride with some friends, not just your (hopefully) sweetheart.

Older and wiser (or more of a stick-in-the-mud) I force myself, against emotion, to evaluate a vehicle purchase on the basis of reliability, durability, and suitability (=it must serve all the transportation needs I have, including transporting junk and garbage to the dump several times a month).

06-21-2022, 05:45 AM - 3 Likes   #5798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-20D/16-45 f4 June 2008 at Steamtown NHS in Scranton Pennsylvania USA.
Attached Images

06-21-2022, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #5799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I make this out to be a Morgan, substantially like those I knew when in college (1960's), However, the image file does not have enough resolution to read either the hood ornament or the name on the wheel nuts. I can, however, just barely make out the spread wings of a Morgan emblem.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
06-21-2022, 06:33 AM   #5800
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

from the inner harbour at Victoria BC

various modes of transportation
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
06-21-2022, 06:48 AM   #5801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The NordNorge, the Norwegian coastal ferry we took to the far northern tip of Europe. The near ramp is for passengers, the farther ramp for vehicles and cargo. The boat's shape, especially the bow end. is distorted in this UWA shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
06-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #5802
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Older and wiser (or more of a stick-in-the-mud) I force myself, against emotion, to evaluate a vehicle purchase on the basis of reliability, durability, and suitability (=it must serve all the transportation needs I have, including transporting junk and garbage to the dump several times a month).
This is why I have a a boring Subaru Impreza wagon as a daily driver. Boring as all get out with the naturally aspirated 2.0L engine but it does have the 5 speed manual which I like since a manual transmission lasts forever if you know how to drive stick and keep reasonably fresh gear oil in it.
06-21-2022, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #5803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is why I have a a boring Subaru Impreza wagon as a daily driver. Boring as all get out with the naturally aspirated 2.0L engine but it does have the 5 speed manual which I like since a manual transmission lasts forever if you know how to drive stick and keep reasonably fresh gear oil in it.
I'm on my second Subaru Forester. The first one, which was the original model, lasted 214,000 miles but faced repair costs three or four times book value. The new one is better in many ways, including a far more comfortable back seat (so my kids tell me). So far, at about 140,000, it has been even more reliable than the original.
06-21-2022, 12:46 PM   #5804
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I'm on my second Subaru Forester. The first one, which was the original model, lasted 214,000 miles but faced repair costs three or four times book value. The new one is better in many ways, including a far more comfortable back seat (so my kids tell me). So far, at about 140,000, it has been even more reliable than the original.
Have you had head gasket leaks yet?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-22-2022 at 01:35 AM.
06-21-2022, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #5805
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Have had head gasket leaks yet?
No. The first one needed a gasket replacement at around 100,000, and was in need of another head gasket when I retired it. The only repairs on the current Forester have been a consequence of accidents by me (backed into something and broke a rear tail light cover; also backing out of the garage I left the hatch up and a plastic part caught on the garage door handle and broke). The battery needed replacement once, and of course a light bulb would burn out now and then. Otherwise the car has only had routine scheduled maintenance.

As for reliability, one of the most reliable, and some years the absolutely most reliable car available in the USA has been the Toyota Prius. I drove one as a rental in New Zealand. It's a little under powered for pulling out briskly onto a fast road, but primarily it's a little too small for our needs, and very difficult to get in-out for me with my arthritic knees. M considered a new Prius and a Prius wagon when finally selected and Impreza. The wagon was really too anemic for power, and again, the newest Prius was just murder for me to get in-out. BTW: Our daughter has a Cadillac, an SUV body type, and it is way harder for me to get in-out than the Forester especially the rear seat. An earlier Cady she owned had an all-touch-screen control system for radio, defroster, ventilation, etc. Outrageously irresponsible design.
Closed Thread