Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2022, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #6106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
-

Similar story, I had a college roommate that had 2 Spitfires (1 that ran and 1 for parts). He was well over 6' also and pretty much never drove it with the top up.
Now that you mention it, I don't remember Ray putting the top up, either.

11-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #6107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This car was featured in "American Graffiti"
11-23-2022, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #6108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An iconic land barge
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-23-2022, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #6109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
An iconic land barge
Yes! I saw a newer Eldorado at a show in September, I think it was a '74. It looked too big for any roads east of Texas. It was about 110° that day, and I imagine that 500-cubic-inch V8 drives an air conditioner pretty well.

11-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #6110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I once worked for a man who had a late 60's Eldorado - pumpkin orange convertible. That car was so big, it was scary to drive. My life flashed in front of me, driving it on a very narrow curvy bridge. I have NO idea how I managed to get it around that curve without damage to the car and the bridge.
11-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #6111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I once worked for a man who had a late 60's Eldorado - pumpkin orange convertible. That car was so big, it was scary to drive. My life flashed in front of me, driving it on a very narrow curvy bridge. I have NO idea how I managed to get it around that curve without damage to the car and the bridge.
Yeah, but all that room was woooonderful when you parked. (Not that I would know about anything like that...)
11-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #6112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I was never in was of those great land barges, but a friend told me that being behind the wheel of an Oldsmobile from that time was like looking across the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-25-2022 at 08:31 AM.
11-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #6113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Yeah, but all that room was woooonderful when you parked. (Not that I would know about anything like that...)
Not in the boss's car, I assure you!
11-23-2022, 04:59 PM - 3 Likes   #6114
Pentaxian

A favorite of mine is the '49 Caddie. The gas cap is hidden under the (hinged) driver's side tailight.

A reflector below the light is actually a button that, when pushed, releases the tailight which swings up to access the gas cap. Loads of fun at the full service gas station! The tailight on this Caddie is in the up position.
11-24-2022, 02:09 AM - 2 Likes   #6115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 Mk III + 20-40 Ltd

11-25-2022, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #6116
Pentaxian

Jersey - great shots of vintage planes. Just for fun, I googled the "numbers" on the first plane - SP-BNU, and the first hit, planelogger.com, identified the plane as an RWD-13 at the Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego, and included a picture of it in the same location as yours, but not half as good. So due to your post, I learned of the existence of the RWD-13 plane type, and the museum, located at the historic Kraków-Rakowice-Czyżyny Airport, established in 1912 as one of the first airports in the world. The photographs from all over the world are part of what makes Pentax Forums so great. Thanks, Jersey!
11-25-2022, 08:37 AM   #6117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
A favorite of mine is the '49 Caddie. The gas cap is hidden under the (hinged) driver's side tailight.

A reflector below the light is actually a button that, when pushed, releases the tailight which swings up to access the gas cap. Loads of fun at the full service gas station! The tailight on this Caddie is in the up position.
There were several other GM cars that had the gas filler hidden below the tail light. I vaguely recall a Chevy we owned had that feature. (both my parents wanted only GM because everyone knew that Ford products were "oil burners"). The filler was also sometimes hidden below a spring-hinged license-plate holder.

This is the only Wonder Wagon I've every seen, or heard of for all that. I've otherwise only seen such paint jobs on old VW shoe-boxes. SCAN from the Film Era
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS Rebel T7  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-25-2022 at 08:43 AM.
11-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #6118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Snap taken at Marina Park in Ventura on an overcast day.

11-25-2022, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

P&H mining shovel, The company was founded by Pawling and Harnischfeger in 1881, now owned by Komatsu
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS Rebel T7  Photo 
11-25-2022, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #6120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
There were several other GM cars that had the gas filler hidden below the tail light. I vaguely recall a Chevy we owned had that feature. (both my parents wanted only GM because everyone knew that Ford products were "oil burners"). The filler was also sometimes hidden below a spring-hinged license-plate holder.

This is the only Wonder Wagon I've every seen, or heard of for all that. I've otherwise only seen such paint jobs on old VW shoe-boxes. SCAN from the Film Era

I remember those spring loaded license plates. Trying to hold that license plate out of the way with a cigarette and a bottle of beer in one hand and the gas pump nozzle in the other. They were a terrible pain PITA.

Closed Thread