Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #1546
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the vehicle on top, the one with the nook on the roof is one of mine, the 2015 Audi A 5 coupe 2.0 Turbo with about 20,000 miles [ the first 2 door I have ever owned ]

my wife drives a Chevy Cruz and my other vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Suburban LT with 185,000 + miles on it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
04-19-2017, 01:33 PM - 4 Likes   #1547
Veteran Member

A train.....

and these two move under their own power, so I guess they count as "automobiles"!!
04-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #1548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love those old machines, Stephen. Modern stuff may be more efficient, but it is awfully boring.
04-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #1549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Towboat shuttling recently filled barge from grain terminal to somewhere downriver, below the bridge. Illinois River at Havana, Illinois.

Auto Sears Multi-Coated f/4 80-200mm, Pentax ME Super SE, Ilford FP4, F/5.6, 1/1000 sec.

04-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #1550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-25-2017, 01:54 AM - 2 Likes   #1551
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Even though it rained all day, these modern machines weren't boring.

04-25-2017, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #1552
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This modern machine also defies the label "boring", although I agree with Canada_Rockies, that shots of steam engines, or the big Martin Flying Boats of the 1930's, evoke a lot of nostalgia, and the romance of travel.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-27-2017, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #1553
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An Oldie but a Goodie,

Taken with Nikon N8008s body with AFNikkor 70-210 mm non D Lens.

No EXIF data.

Thanks so much for viewing.

Tony
04-28-2017, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #1554
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

an oldie and a meanie (as far as NATO goes)

(Mikoyan-Gurevich) Polish Lim-6R (MiG-17F) Fresco C

This jet fighter is a Lim-6R, a Polish-built version of the Soviet Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17 that was given the NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) code name Fresco. The Lim-6R was a photoreconnaissance aircraft that could also be used as a fighter-bomber. Its tactical number, Red 611, refers to this aircraft.

The MiG-17 was an upgraded and improved version of the Korean War era Soviet MiG-15. It was designed in 1949 and first flown in 1950. The type entered service in 1952 eventually replacing the MiG-15 as the Soviet’s main fighter. Although the Fresco was not supersonic in level flight it could break the sound barrier in a dive . . . The MiG-17's wing has two different sweep angles on the leading edge. The resulting bend in the middle of the wing led to it being referred to as a "sickle wing". The change in wing angle may not be noticed until you sight along the leading edge of the wing; then the bend is quite obvious. . . . Red 611 was made in late 1963 or early 1964 and probably continued in active use by the Polish Air Force until 1991-1992 when Poland retired their Lim-6 variants. . . .

Armament:
One 37mm cannon, two 23mm cannon. Can carry up to 1,102 lb (500kg) of bombs or wing tanks.

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17

[ obviously in need of repair- well the Combat Air Museum is an understaffed amateur organization ]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #1555
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can' help but notice the aircraft in the background with the wings folded up
I think by the paint scheme and the numbers it could be a former Canadian Navy Gruman/D'Havaland S2 Tracker that flew off Canada's Aircraft Carriers HMCS Bonaventure and HMCS Magnificent as an Anti Submarine patrol aircraft and submarine killer

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 04-29-2017 at 12:32 PM.
04-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #1556
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I think by the paint scheme and the numbers it could be a former Canadian Navy Gruman/D'Havaland S2 Tracker that flew off Canada's Aircraft Carriers HMCS Bonaventure and HMCS Magnificent as an Anti Submarine patrol aircraft and submarine killer
This website has information on all the planes at the combat air museum in topeka

Aircraft on Display at the Combat Air Museum

It is a Grumman S2 tracker but not the one you thought

http://www.combatairmuseum.org/aircraft/grummanus2tracker.html
04-30-2017, 04:05 AM   #1557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
This website has information on all the planes at the combat air museum in topeka

Aircraft on Display at the Combat Air Museum

It is a Grumman S2 tracker but not the one you thought

Grumman US-2A Tracker
Thanks for the information.
I first came across the Tracker as a cadet in the early 70's while in Camp Borden Ontario. The reason I thought it could have been a "Canadian" Aircraft because, the aircraft that were in Camp Borden (at least the one's I remember climbing through) their Identifier numbers also began with a 4 and believe some of them went museums. Plus many RCAF and RCN Squadron numbers also began with the number 4
I also feel pretty confident in believing that while based around Detroit or in other some of other areas of operation the aircraft was based over it's operational life. The aircraft in the museum, quite likely flew in training missions or on joint NATO, Standing Naval Force Atlantic or Pacific operations with it's "Canadian" cousins. I've also been told by some vets that while on training or joint operations there was quite a rivalry between the American and Canadian Tracker Crews as to who was the best at finding and "Sinking" each other's subs, especially the Diesel boats

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 04-30-2017 at 04:23 AM.
04-30-2017, 04:17 AM   #1558
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the information.
I first came across the Tracker as a cadet in the early 70's while in Camp Borden Ontario. The reason I thought it could have been a "Canadian" Aircraft because, the aircraft that were in Camp Borden (at least the one's I remember climbing through) their Identifier numbers also began with a 4 and believe some of them went museums. Plus many RCAF and RCN Squadron numbers also began with the number 4
I also feel pretty confident in believing that while based around Detroit or in other some of other areas of operation the aircraft was based over it's operational life. The aircraft in the museum, quite likely flew in training missions or on joint NATO, Standing Naval Force Atlantic or Pacific operations with it's "Canadian" cousins. I've also been told by some vets that while on training or joint operations there was quite a rivalry between the Tracker Crews as to who was the best at finding and "Sinking" each other's subs
you could be correct, I know what is on the website, details like you relate is more than the CAM may know

it is a nice little museum crammed into 2 hangers

I'll PM when I get back (on a rainy day perhaps) and get some better pictures if I can. It is in the most crowded hanger of the two.
05-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #1559
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A CDN naval aviator friend of mine, who flew Trackers off the Bonny, says that the Cdn Trackers were #1501 and up.
05-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #1560
Veteran Member

I think by the paint scheme and the numbers it could be a former Canadian Navy Gruman/D'Havaland S2 Tracker
I don't think De Havilland/De Havilland Canada and Grumman had any relationship. DHC was later bought by Boeing then eventually sold off to Bombardier.
Closed Thread