Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
A few from a photo charter last week K1 plus DA28-105WR or Tamron 70-200
Nice nostalgia. Thanks for posting.

10-23-2017, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #1715
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's something about seeing a reflector on something that hasn't been on the road in over twenty years....

Tamron SP (54B) f/5.6 300mm, wide open.
K10D, iso 800 (with noise reduction on)
10-25-2017, 02:46 AM   #1716
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Some of my favorite Vintage Hydroplane shots from this past summer. All taken with my K-3 and DA* 60-250. This combo give me a lot of room for tight crops from across the river with no real loss of quality.

Awesome shots. I especially like the two that are riding the props. Nice work.
10-25-2017, 02:53 AM - 2 Likes   #1717
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Another of the many cars I shot alongside a county road near Shelby, North Carolina a few years ago. I was making the last cross country run with Monstro and was stuck doing an hours of service reset. Rather than sit in my sleeper and watch TV I bob tailed around the countryside.

I though it was a Ford Falcon, but it looks like a rare OR Falcon.

10-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #1718
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Another from the County Road in Shelby series.

A 1957 Oldsmobile.

10-25-2017, 03:54 AM   #1719
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
A few from a photo charter
Good ones Stephen.
I must admit I was scrolling up from the bottom of the page and after seeing #3 and #2 I thought, "S.Hampshire!"
10-25-2017, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #1720
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Another from the County Road in Shelby series.

A 1957 Oldsmobile.
Silver '57 Olds 2 door hardtop was my drool over car when I was 17. In 1957.
10-25-2017, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #1721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another of the many cars I shot alongside a county road near Shelby, North Carolina a few years ago. I was making the last cross country run with Monstro and was stuck doing an hours of service reset. Rather than sit in my sleeper and watch TV I bob tailed around the countryside.

My dad owned couple of Falcon wagons. While the Falcon was quite compact for an American car of its day, you could lay a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood down in the back of the station wagon models if you put the rear seat down. Being able to do that was Dad's minimum requirement for any station wagon he would own. It had to be able to haul tools and materials in the back if he needed to do that. I can't tell the early from the later Falcons without seeing the sides of the vehicles -- that front to back indented area on the sides always seemed like the main design element of the body, and it was something that evolved from model to model.
10-25-2017, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #1722
Pentaxian

That's an interesting old hearse sitting behind the Falcon. It's sad to see these old machines, that were once someone's pride and joy, rusting away like that. Some years ago (actually a lot of years ago) I had the honor/heartbreak of taking an H-3 helicopter to Davis-Monthan (the Boneyard). It's hard to shut down and chock, for the last time, a machine that had saved countless lives. You keep telling yourself that "It's just a machine."

Do machines have a soul?
10-25-2017, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #1723
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
That's an interesting old hearse sitting behind the Falcon. It's sad to see these old machines, that were once someone's pride and joy, rusting away like that. Some years ago (actually a lot of years ago) I had the honor/heartbreak of taking an H-3 helicopter to Davis-Monthan (the Boneyard). It's hard to shut down and chock, for the last time, a machine that had saved countless lives. You keep telling yourself that "It's just a machine."
Do machines have a soul?
I believe some do. The one I cry over was a 1958 220S Mercedes I picked up for DM 1500 in 1965 (Cdn$450). I thought when I bought it - I had just arrived for my posting to W. Germany - that if it lasted 3 months, I would be happy. It turned out to be the car that I hadn't realized was the car of my dreams. Sheer luck to happen upon her, but was too broke to get the head rebuilt (at 185,000 miles!) in 1971. I brought her back to Canada in 1967 at the end of my tour, and regret to this day not having her to drive. A good machine will get into your soul.
10-25-2017, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #1724
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #1725
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote

Do machines have a soul?
In my opinion Yes they do especially when it comes to crews of ships and aircraft. Over time the crews almost become part of the machines to the point they can sense when things are not quite right. It's not uncommon to have a crewmember, and I've done it myself, start talking to the machine as if was a close friend coaxing it along to the next port or the end of a mission.

I've also felt the sadness when in my case a ship is laid up for the final time or sent for scrap. I've also seen men almost break down in tears as if they lost a close friend when the look at pictures or video of a ship the served on for may years being cut up or disapearing beneath the surface of the sea
Closed Thread