Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8422 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #2386
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It is tempting to postpone those $300 services, . . . .
I hear people tell me all the time about $300, $500, even $800 and higher service costs.

That’s crazy.

From my very first car I have always done all my own maintenance and repairs. Even when I have bought new vehicles I have elected to do routine maintenance myself.

I suppose having worked many years as a mechanic has given me the skills and knowledge, but even before serving an apprenticeship I could be found crawling under a vehicle, changing oil, relining brakes, replacing clutches, etc.

I’ve even painted a few cars.

It would go against my nature to pay some stranger to change my oil.

10-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #2387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I hear people tell me all the time about $300, $500, even $800 and higher service costs.

That’s crazy.

From my very first car I have always done all my own maintenance and repairs. Even when I have bought new vehicles I have elected to do routine maintenance myself.

I suppose having worked many years as a mechanic has given me the skills and knowledge, but even before serving an apprenticeship I could be found crawling under a vehicle, changing oil, relining brakes, replacing clutches, etc.

I’ve even painted a few cars.

It would go against my nature to pay some stranger to change my oil.
My first vehicle repairs where when my age was single digit. That's the way it is when Dad is a commercial fisherman. The engine was a 1928 Easthope 10-14 marine engine. I bought and rebuilt the engine and transmission in my first motor vehicle, a 1946 Royal Enfield 350, when I was 16. I maintained for the 6 years I owned it a 1958 Mercedes Benz 220S 6cyl, overhead cam 2.2 liter engine that I bought used in 1965. It had 185,000 miles on it when a very expensive valve started to burn (sodium cooled exhaust valve). I was earning $540/month as an accounting clerk. I did not have the $$$ required to rebuild the aluminum head with valves. I bought a Dorf station wagon.

There is no way I am even going to attempt to change the timing belt in my Tundra. To get at it one has to take the whole front of the truck apart. For C$300 I can go shopping at CostCo while the service department does it.

One old man's opinion who has driven one or two miles/kilometers over his 62 years on the road.
10-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #2388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
No, Tony, it's gas powered. Thank goodness for that. Diesel is too expensive. It has a 20.5 gal tank and it's not 4WD, it's 2WD. It has a V6 (210HP) engine in it and RWD.
Well, diesel may be a bit more costly, however in the long run a diesel engine will perform better and its reliability is unquestioned. The maintenance on those engines is minimal and it will offer better fuel economy. Just a coincidence that I happen to be in the market for a newer vehicle. Newer, not new. Why? I usually wait a few months and then shop around for a vehicle that a customer had turned in with very low mileage. That way, I let someone else pay for the $1,000.00 destination charge. Getting back to your purchase, you have made a very good buying choice because all of the reviews and ratings for that model year are excellent. Usually it is a good idea to get a pre-purchase inspection performed by a qualified mechanic. It may seem expensive, but not really if you are forewarned of any problems or potential for problems. It is money well spent.

Good luck with your newly acquired vehicle. )

TT
10-18-2018, 11:36 PM - 4 Likes   #2389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always admired the early Corvettes, with their two-tone paint, whitewalls and chrome. Here's a nice '60 seen at a recent carshow. DA16-45 on K10D:

10-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #2390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I've always admired the early Corvettes, with their two-tone paint, whitewalls and chrome. Here's a nice '60 seen at a recent carshow.
Very pretty car.
10-19-2018, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #2391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B747 Dreamlifter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
10-20-2018, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #2392
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Shot on Kodak color film (probably 100ASA color film), with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Vivitar 90-230mm f4.5 Close Focusing Auto Zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.

Then something weird happened.

Death rays began shooting from it.

I snapped a quick picture and ran for my life.

{Cross posted all over the place}

10-20-2018, 05:41 PM - 3 Likes   #2393
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Tokyo Taxi in Shibuya.

K3 and DA10-17 at 10mm under heavy rain. I have to constantly wipe off raindrop on the lens's front glass during the shooting and only wish it was a wr lens. Pentax should had made all DA as wr lens. Anyway, I still love what this lens can do. ... if it can do nice starburst like the 15 or 21 green ring, it will be good too... I know it is too much to ask

10-21-2018, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #2394
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Savannah Bikini

Came across this in my travels... this vessel could be yours to charter at a cool "from €1,000,000 p/week + expenses, Approx $1,162,500"

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-47976/savannah.htm

Due to the expense... I've only booked it for the month.

10-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #2395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Due to the expense... I've only booked it for the month.
Just living it up as a canny Scot?
10-21-2018, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #2396
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Just living it up as a canny Scot?
Ah didnae wish tae appear tae bein' tae extravagant.
10-21-2018, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #2397
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

My mother's airplane, back when she owned it. Parked at a tie down at Paine Field.

The guy she sold it to took it to California. At some point he was traveling East across the US and somewhere over Kansas ran low on fuel. Afraid he wouldn't make it he tried to set it down in a freshly plowed wheat field. The plane did a ground loop and was destroyed.
10-21-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #2398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Took advantage of a Sunny Sunday and combined my 2 passions Photographing Fall Colors and driving around in the Mustang with the top down

10-22-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #2399
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I've only booked it for the month.
I'll fly in to join you on my imaginary helicopter!

Here's a shot of a TU-22M at the airport in Riga. I should have researched a bit better, and visited the air museum there, with a great collection of Soviet-era aircraft.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #2400
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
I'll fly in to join you on my imaginary helicopter!
Unfortunately this vessel doesn't have it's own helipad onboard... you'll need to find some other way to join me.
Closed Thread