Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #5806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Last edited by noelcmn; 06-21-2022 at 01:39 PM.
06-21-2022, 01:41 PM   #5807
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bicycles for public use. I don't know the rules that govern the use of these. They seem to be available on the honor system. On the other hand, electric-assist bicycles and scooters require a credit card to free from their dock and activate.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
06-21-2022, 02:31 PM - 3 Likes   #5808
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OV-10B Bronco, K-3 Mk III + smc DA* 60-250

06-21-2022, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #5809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

06-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #5810
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect this is a retired whaler, designed to haul the biggest creature up over the stern. BTW: "Whale meat" was both on sale in the fish market and was offered on the menu of some restaurants in Norway.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
06-22-2022, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #5811
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Summer Solstice evening 2022 K-70/Sigma 18-300 Contemporary
Attached Images

06-22-2022, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #5812
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Truly modern subway system. Aside from the trains being whisper quite and silky smooth, the entire length of the platform has a glass (plexiglass?) barrier so it is impossible for someone to fall - or be pushed - onto the tracks. The trains stop at exactly the right spot so automated doors on train and the platform barrier align and slide open then close simultaneously. Two images one with the doors fully open, the other with doors partially closed. Automated signs tell you how soon the next train will arrive and what its final stop will be.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
06-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #5813
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The first one, which was the original model, lasted 214,000 miles but faced repair costs three or four times book value.
That is usually what happens with my vehicles. They are great and then have the car equivalent of a massive heart attack that does them in. My previous car was a '02 BWM 325i. Ran great up until I finally wore through the factory original pressure plate at 341,XXX miles. The part cost was more than the car was worth but before that it was just regular maintenance including things that become regular maintenance like water pumps and blower fans when a car gets that old with that many miles.

Cady she owned had an all-touch-screen control system for radio, defroster, ventilation, etc. Outrageously irresponsible design.
I hate those things in the Infotainment system. What I want is a good radio that gets AM, FM, HD, and weather band that also has USB or Aux in that has real physical buttons or knobs. This is actually surprisingly hard to find with lots not getting HD and weather band.
06-22-2022, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #5814
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I hate those things in the Infotainment system. What I want is a good radio that gets AM, FM, HD, and weather band that also has USB or Aux in that has real physical buttons or knobs. This is actually surprisingly hard to find with lots not getting HD and weather band.
I want more than buttons and knobs. I want knobs that have a sharp-edge ridge around the outside, the way even the dials on a kitchen or living room radio once had. That way I can tell exactly where the heat, defroster, etc. are set by touch - without taking my eyes off the road!! That's why the touch-screen Cadillac controls were, IMHO, a criminally irresponsible design. To set anything, radio station, volume, heat or AC temp, rear-window defroster, fan speed, etc. you absolutely had to take your eyes off the road, sometimes for a prolonged time just to figure out where to tap the screen to activate the control you wanted to adjust. Tech-fixated people who could not envision how dangerous it was to use such touch-screen controls while navigating a curve-filled high-speed road during commuter rush-hour.
06-22-2022, 11:20 AM   #5815
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want more than buttons and knobs. I want knobs that have a sharp-edge ridge around the outside, the way even the dials on a kitchen or living room radio once had.
Button and knobs are expensive, touchscreens you can buy in chinese supermarket in bulk by few cents a piece. Besides you in US have it good, on our side of the pond VW has touchpads even on steering wheel.
06-22-2022, 02:28 PM   #5816
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I want more than buttons and knobs. I want knobs that have a sharp-edge ridge around the outside, the way even the dials on a kitchen or living room radio once had
Those are the ones I like and have been lucky in that is what my cars have. Finding and operating things by touch alone is wonderful. I should be able to do so in complete darkness. That is how I run cameras at night too.

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Besides you in US have it good, on our side of the pond VW has touchpads even on steering wheel.
What new circle of hell is that. I don't want a stupid touch screen flying at my face if the air bag goes off.
06-22-2022, 06:08 PM - 3 Likes   #5817
Pentaxian

I think I've posted this before a long time ago, but this discussion reminded of something I saw at Barrett-Jackson in 2015:

It was a 1986 Porsche 930 Turbo R69 Rinnspeed. The Germans (and Swiss) sure do love their buttons. In support of Jersey's point about buttons being expensive, this was among the costliest cars in the world at the time.
06-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #5818
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AS532 Cougar, with K-3 Mk III and 60-250 DA*

06-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #5819
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my old Altima...
06-26-2022, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5820
Pentaxian