Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8422 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2022, 04:44 PM   #6121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I remember those spring loaded license plates. Trying to hold that license plate out of the way with a cigarette and a bottle of beer in one hand and the gas pump nozzle in the other. They were a terrible pain PITA.
After a bit of searching I'm convinced the Chevy we had was a 1956 Bel Air 4-door coupe that had the gas filler below the driver's side taillight. You had to twist a chrome (or pseudo-chrome) vertical piece above the bullet-shaped taillight to drop it open and get access to the gas filler.

11-25-2022, 06:21 PM   #6122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
After a bit of searching I'm convinced the Chevy we had was a 1956 Bel Air 4-door coupe that had the gas filler below the driver's side taillight. You had to twist a chrome (or pseudo-chrome) vertical piece above the bullet-shaped taillight to drop it open and get access to the gas filler.
Same with Dad's '55 Caddy. You raised the hinged taillight lens (which was built into the top of the fin) to access the filler. I think maybe you had to press a button/reflector on the back of the lens to release...?

https://flickriver.com/photos/greggjerdingen/7416980818/

Last edited by paulh; 11-25-2022 at 06:26 PM.
11-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #6123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Same with Dad's '55 Caddy. You raised the hinged taillight lens (which was built into the top of the fin) to access the filler. I think maybe you had to press a button/reflector on the back of the lens to release...?

55 Cadillac - a photo on Flickriver
The image in your link shows the taillight open. The metal circle under the tailight is the gas cap. The clear/white lens below that is the backup light. The red circle above the backup light is a reflector that releases the spring loaded tailight to flip up exposing the gas cap. To close it, the taillight is just swung down and locks into place until the reflector is pushed in. Back when cars were fun....
11-26-2022, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #6124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Baldwin locomotive from the 1880's, and one of the articulated monsters from near the end of the steam locomotive era. SCANS, which never look as good as the original chromes.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS Rebel T7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS Rebel T7  Photo 
11-26-2022, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #6125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some train cars with a little of the typical graffiti found on them pretty much everywhere.

---------- Post added 11-26-22 at 09:16 AM ----------

A Baldwin locomotive from the 1880's, and one of the articulated monsters from near the end of the steam locomotive era. SCANS, which never look as good as the original chromes.
My Dad worked for Baldwin Locomotive in the early '40s when he first started working. He was in the Diesel division, I believe the company was also working on some experimental steam locomotives, then WWII changed things for them. He did leave before they closed their doors.
11-26-2022, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #6126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This paddlewheel was moored at a loading ramp in Paducah, Kentucky, about to load passengers for a river cruise. This was early October. River levels may be too low for it to sail now...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-26-2022, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #6127
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
This car was featured in "American Graffiti"
From the movie:

“What color is that? **** yellow?”

11-27-2022, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #6128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

November 26th afternoon intermodal freight on the Norfolk Southern RR. New Florence Pennsylvania. KP DA*300/4
Attached Images

11-27-2022, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #6129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another locomotive in retirement. I wonder how many miles of track it traversed before coming to rest at this outdoor railroading museum.

I'll observe that diesels most commonly have the operator's cab up front where the engineer has the best possible view of the track ahead (there are exceptions). In contrast, the vast majority of steam locos have the cab at the back of engine (there were also some exceptions to this generality, a few rather odd-looking cab-forward steam locomotives). Consider the monstrous articulated loco I posted above. It's like having the driver's seat of a car in the trunk/boot, actually much worse considering the length of that giant. It's seems like a leftover from the days when someone had to stoke the engine manually with coal or wood from a following tender, and they just could not give up on that basic layout of a locomotive.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-27-2022 at 05:51 AM.
11-27-2022, 07:39 AM   #6130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
November 26th afternoon intermodal freight on the Norfolk Southern RR. New Florence Pennsylvania. KP DA*300/4
Interesting! A question, if you know -- what are the curtain-like things below the containers, covering the wheels and trucks? I don't think I've ever seen those before (it's been a long while, but I've chased a few trains )
11-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #6131
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Interesting! A question, if you know -- what are the curtain-like things below the containers, covering the wheels and trucks? I don't think I've ever seen those before (it's been a long while, but I've chased a few trains )
The rail cars that carry shipping containers are built to handle the containers stacked two high. So the car is built with a drop to get the bottom container as low as possible so the second container doesn’t make the car over height.

The “curtain” you see is the structure of the rail car. Since the bottom of the car is so close to the roadbed, the sides are built to carry the load, much like a floor truss in a house or commercial building.

The rail cars share trucks at each end, the trucks supporting the trailing end of one car, the leading end of the next.

Like this:

11-27-2022, 03:45 PM   #6132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The rail cars that carry shipping containers are built to handle the containers stacked two high. So the car is built with a drop to get the bottom container as low as possible so the second container doesn’t make the car over height.

The “curtain” you see is the structure of the rail car. Since the bottom of the car is so close to the roadbed, the sides are built to carry the load, much like a floor truss in a house or commercial building.

The rail cars share trucks at each end, the trucks supporting the trailing end of one car, the leading end of the next.

Like this:
Ah, OK, I see that now, thanks. The lower containers show less height because they are inside, so to speak, the cars. Frankly I've never seen a rig like this, should pay more attention, but now that I'm not making that hellish commute I rarely see rail freight. I hear it -- there's a line about a mile and a half east of here. But the line down south on my commute carried mostly hoppers in and out of a mine. Not fun to be caught at the crossing when a loaded "rock train" was trying to get out of the quarry.
11-28-2022, 09:51 AM   #6133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone know the cost differential (say per mile?) from hauling these cargo containers by rail as opposed to OTR by trucks? I'm assuming it's MUCH cheaper to ship by rail than by truck for long hauls. Let the truckers handle the local deliveries.
11-28-2022, 11:13 AM   #6134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
Does anyone know the cost differential (say per mile?) from hauling these cargo containers by rail as opposed to OTR by trucks? I'm assuming it's MUCH cheaper to ship by rail than by truck for long hauls. Let the truckers handle the local deliveries.
Intuitively, the railroads must maintain the RoW and that cost must be paid by the shipping, the RoW for truckers is paid by state or federal government, but the truckers contribute through taxes. For trucking, its one driver per container. For RR transport, it's one driver for potentially a hundred or more containers (never seen a container train so I don't know how many are in one string). The savings in labor cost for the RR is therefore huge, so for long hauls, RR is probably significantly less expensive, provided the handling and local delivery at each end is reasonable. The first experimental Jerry-rigged container ship vastly reduced the cost of shipping by boat even without the special-purpose loading/unloading machinery that now exists because of the enormous saving in labor costs.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-28-2022 at 06:25 PM.
11-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #6135
Pentaxian

Intuitively, the railroads must maintain the RoW and tht cost must be paid by the shipping, the RoW for truckers is paid by state or federal government, but the truckers contribute through taxes. For trucking, its one driver per container. For RR transport, it's one driver for potentially a hundred or more containers (never seen a container train so I don't know how many are in one string). The savings in labor cost for the RR is therefore huge, so for long hauls, RR is probably significantly less expensive, provided the handling and local delivery at each end is reasonable. The first experimental Jerry-rigged container ship vastly reduced the cost of shipping by boat even without the special-purpose loading/unloading machinery that now exists because of the enormous saving in labor costs.

Out here in the west it's common to see one semi pulling three containers down the freeway. A freight train OTOH can carry literally hundreds of containers.
Closed Thread