Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
June "Pentax Challenge" - Ordinary Objects

As some of you who once did or still do "hang out" at the dpreview Pentax DSLR forum know, there is a monthly Pentax Challenge with anonymous entries posted for all to see and all to vote.

Go to The pentaxchallenge Photo Galleries at pbase to see this month's and previous months' challenges. You'll see some familiar names.

This month I'm hosting, and as host, I decided that I could announce both at dpreview (***Pentax Challenge #23: Ordinary Objects*** at Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) and here at PentaxForums. I plan to allow voting in threads on both forums. If you don't want to risk winning and becoming the host for the August challenge (requiring posting to dpr), you should only enter in the Exhibition Gallery.

So here's the theme and the rules . . .

Challenge Theme

Theme: "Ordinary Objects"

Commences: 1 June 2007

Closes: 30 June 2007 12:00 midnight IDLW – International Date Line West(one second before the start of July 1 at the International Date Line West = GMT -12, that is, the latest it will be June 30 anywhere on Earth )

Show us you can make extraordinary photos from “Ordinary Objects” .

I’ve seen Pentaxians do it again and again – a bicycle chain, fire hydrant, lamp, coffee cup, eyeglasses, chair, medicine for a pet, a bottle or glass of beer (a few of those out there!), barbed wire, plumbing fixtures, benches, folded napkins, chessboards, shoes, garden tools, pots and pans, etc. etc. – all made to look extraordinary through your photography.

Let’s see some more!

Look around – what do you see?

The Challenge and Exhibition Galleries are here:
Pentax Challenge #23 - Ordinary Objects

Challenge Rules

If you have not entered before, please read the rules carefully, as this challenge is somewhat different from other challenges.

** Images ARE NOT posted to this thread or the dpreview thread, but rather uploaded anonymously to a Pbase gallery.

Illustrated upload instructions can be found on this gallery page:
Illustrated Upload Instructions

** If you would like your entry to be judged, you must then send an email to pentaxchallenge@hotmail.com, including the title of your photo and your (real) name. Please put the "Title" in the subject line to make ID easier.

** The Challenge Gallery is for entries which were taken between 1-30 June 2007 (i.e. shoot for the theme).

** The Exhibition Gallery is for entries which were taken at any time that meet the challenge theme. (Any camera will do as long as you are a Pentax SLR user)

** Password to access PBase is unchanged but for those who still require it please send e-mail to pentaxchallenge@hotmail.com

** Open to all Pentax users digital or scanned film

** Leave EXIF data intact

** Maximum size image is 800 pixels on the long-side and 300kB JPEG

** You may post a maximum of three (3) entries into either gallery.

** If you need assistance uploading images send an e-mail to pentaxchallenge@hotmail.com (we want your images even if you aren't an experienced PBase user)

* New or changed rules *

** If you, for any reason, cannot upload your image(s) to PBase, it is possible to e-mail them as a properly formatted attachment to pentaxchallenge@gmail.com. *This is a test feature which may not be available in any subsequent challenges.*

** If you, for any reason, cannot send e-mail to the hotmail account, you can use pentaxchallenge@gmail.com instead. *This is a test feature which may not be available in any subsequent challenges.*

** End of new or changed rules***

Voting

After the Challenge period ends, the forum (fora) votes to determine the winners. All forum members may vote. Voting is done in a separate voting thread established by the Challenge host. There will be three winners chosen from each gallery. When the voting is complete, the winning entries will be named and their winning entrants identified.

** When voting you will not be able to vote for your own pictures.

The entrant who submitted the winning entry in the Challenge Gallery will serve as host for the August Pentax Challenge.

One more change (and an acknowledgment of an earlier change)

For the June Challenge, I decided to cross-post with PentaxForums.

And, as a Pacific Northwesterner, I decided that as long as it's still June somewhere, entries should still be accepted - so for this time at least, I changed from GMT to IDLW.

06-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The sample shots

My parents' lamp, aka, one of my favorite "ordinary objects" to shoot.

My parents' rubber band ball, a silver coffee pot, and me :).
06-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, Betsy! It has been a while since I've entered one of these...maybe I'll try my hand this month. Or maybe I already have....bwahahahaha....
06-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Thanks, Betsy! It has been a while since I've entered one of these...maybe I'll try my hand this month. Or maybe I already have....bwahahahaha....
Are you channelling Eric? This sounds like a very Oklahoman "bwahahahahaha".

I'll look for yours, and others', shots. Of course, as host I get to know who's taken all of the images.

06-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Finally I figured out how to enter this competition, Betsy.

Just did few random shots around the house. Quite fun actually.

I can upload 3 pics right?
06-23-2007, 03:34 AM   #6

deleted object

Last edited by petekd; 06-25-2007 at 04:36 AM. Reason: deleted
06-23-2007, 04:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petekd Quote
Here is my shot
Pete, this challenge is a bit different from most - there is an anonymous 'pentaxchallenge' Pbase account that we use so that the contest can be anonymous. Non-anonymous entries are allowed, but only in the Exhibition Gallery - not in the main challenge one.

It is fun to enter anonymous challenges - you end up knowing that people enjoy (or don't!) your photography for what it is, and not just who you are.

06-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #8

Hi Carpents

Sorry dont understand what you are trying to tell me ?? I am a member of this forum and also I have posted an email to pentax challenge with an attachment of the image for judging. I dont have a Pbase account yet so I just posted it from where I have it stored (photobucket).

Perhaps your care to explain ??

Thanks Pete
06-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by petekd Quote
Hi Carpents

Sorry dont understand what you are trying to tell me ?? I am a member of this forum and also I have posted an email to pentax challenge with an attachment of the image for judging. I dont have a Pbase account yet so I just posted it from where I have it stored (photobucket).

Perhaps your care to explain ??

Thanks Pete
This has always been the most confusing part of these anonymous challenges. You don't need your own pbase account - you just use the "pentaxchallenge" account there. I've sent you the password via email.

I've clipped some of the explanation below, and as I said in my e-mail, I'll try to figure out how to post your pic from here.

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Go to The pentaxchallenge Photo Galleries at pbase to see this month's and previous months' challenges. You'll see some familiar names.

. . .

I plan to allow voting in threads on both forums. If you don't want to risk winning and becoming the host for the August challenge (requiring posting to dpr), you should only enter in the Exhibition Gallery.

. . .

The Challenge and Exhibition Galleries are here:
Pentax Challenge #23 - Ordinary Objects

Challenge Rules

If you have not entered before, please read the rules carefully, as this challenge is somewhat different from other challenges.

** Images ARE NOT posted to this thread or the dpreview thread, but rather uploaded anonymously to a Pbase gallery.

Illustrated upload instructions can be found on this gallery page:
Illustrated Upload Instructions

** If you would like your entry to be judged, you must then send an email to pentaxchallenge@hotmail.com, including the title of your photo and your (real) name. Please put the "Title" in the subject line to make ID easier.

** Password to access PBase is unchanged but for those who still require it please send e-mail to pentaxchallenge@hotmail.com

** If you need assistance uploading images send an e-mail to pentaxchallenge@hotmail.com (we want your images even if you aren't an experienced PBase user)

* New or changed rules *

** If you, for any reason, cannot upload your image(s) to PBase, it is possible to e-mail them as a properly formatted attachment to pentaxchallenge@gmail.com. *This is a test feature which may not be available in any subsequent challenges.*
06-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I sent my image at pentaxchallenge@gmail.com but I see it isn't in the lot.
06-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I sent my image at pentaxchallenge@gmail.com but I see it isn't in the lot.
I sent you an e-mail back asking which gallery you wanted it in - let me know and I'll post away.
06-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
I sent you an e-mail back asking which gallery you wanted it in - let me know and I'll post away.
The email I sent you the photo with is my work email, so can't check it at home. Place my entry in the main gallery. I think it fits better there.

Thanks

Deni