Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #2116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
gaweidert, the second shot is a nice variation on the typical gushing water going over the upper falls of the park. I do like the look of the new bridge. I have strong memories of shooting down at the upper falls from the old one, and a train coming along! I waited until the train went by, then promptly left!

There is quite a story behind the old bridge. The original bridge was a wooden structure and an engineering marvel of it's day. One night it suddenly caught fire from end to end. Luckily, there happened to be a cast iron bridge sitting unassembled in a warehouse in Buffalo. NY. It was supposed to be for a railroad in Africa but it just happened to be a perfect fit for this site too. It was erected in only 51 days in 1875. It stood for 143 years.

There was a lot of thought put into the design of the new bridge so it would fit in the location. I think it actually adds to the view. It is located 75 feet south of where the original bridge was. It is a beautiful structure. The railroad offered the old bridge to the park as a pedestrian bridge, but the state did not want the upkeep and liability associated with keeping it open to the public. I do not blame them. You cannot go out onto the new bridge.

11-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #2117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
he railroad offered the old bridge to the park as a pedestrian bridge, but the state did not want the upkeep and liability associated with keeping it open to the public.
That's quite interesting since down my way they took over the Poughkeepsie RR bridge from Penn Central/NYNH&H that remained vacant and unused since about 1982 (after the decking on IT caught fire). It was repaired and reconfigured with concrete decking and is now known as The Walkway Over the Hudson. It is one of the most "visited" state parks in NY now. It also connects rail trails that were developed on each side of the river, on the old rail line. You can now walk or bicycle from Hopewell Jct, NY to New Paltz, NY on that trail and then hook up with the old Wallkill Valley rail trail line and go from New Paltz, south to Gardener, NY or North to Kingston. You can then hook up to the old NYO&W rail trail that heads south towards Port Jervis. It is possible that in the future you can hook up to the Erie rail trail (old Erie main line) in Pt Jervis and ride/walk al the way BACK to Monroe/Harriman! I kinda liked the old bridge though.
11-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #2118
Pentaxian

The Walkway Over the Hudson.
I've visited this a few times in the past few years. Never fully crossed the bridge, as I'm always on foot (and now with a little one).

Bicycles are extremely popular here. I love heading into New Paltz to then stay the night around P'ksie... Great breweries all over this area
11-09-2020, 10:11 PM - 3 Likes   #2119
Pentaxian

A two lane bridge just a few blocks from where I live. Old, new, official and illicit signage.

That must have hurt! At some point, a vehicle going over the bridge gave one of the girders a good whack. I imagine the bridge gave back just as good in return...

11-10-2020, 01:11 PM - 5 Likes   #2120
John McC from Aotearoa.
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bridge to nowhere

11-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #2121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite interesting since down my way they took over the Poughkeepsie RR bridge from Penn Central/NYNH&H that remained vacant and unused since about 1982 (after the decking on IT caught fire). It was repaired and reconfigured with concrete decking and is now known as The Walkway Over the Hudson. It is one of the most "visited" state parks in NY now. It also connects rail trails that were developed on each side of the river, on the old rail line. You can now walk or bicycle from Hopewell Jct, NY to New Paltz, NY on that trail and then hook up with the old Wallkill Valley rail trail line and go from New Paltz, south to Gardener, NY or North to Kingston. You can then hook up to the old NYO&W rail trail that heads south towards Port Jervis. It is possible that in the future you can hook up to the Erie rail trail (old Erie main line) in Pt Jervis and ride/walk al the way BACK to Monroe/Harriman! I kinda liked the old bridge though.
Not to get too political, but the western part of the state is treated a lot different than the eastern side. I used to do field service and was in the eastern part of the state a lot. You can really see the difference.
11-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #2122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, anything north of Westchester gets treated differently. Albany thinks it's part of Westchester, however.
11-12-2020, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #2123
Pentaxian

11-13-2020, 10:42 AM - 5 Likes   #2124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Walkway in the fog
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
11-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #2125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
Like your perspective, great image.

---------- Post added 11-04-2020 at 04:47 PM ----------

A bridge across the Mississippi River Alton Il.
Thanks
11-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #2126
Pentaxian

Don't let the locals hear you say that!
11-13-2020, 07:44 PM - 4 Likes   #2127
Pentaxian

Same location, same subject, minutes if not seconds apart... The change in light is all in the angle of POV.

SMC 55/1.8 on K-S1

11-13-2020, 07:47 PM - 2 Likes   #2128

Small footbridge crossing a stream

11-16-2020, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #2129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-24-2020, 05:59 AM   #2130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Old and new