07-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #2282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not everybody's cup of tea
Hmmm. Not mine certainly.
How far down to the water?

Interestingly, if I was there I would be reasonably OK until I looked straight down or put my camera up to my eye, at which time I would lose all idea of my surroundings and actually have to lean on the hand rails to balance myself. Leaning on rails is something that is not usually my first choice in remaining safe and secure.
07-31-2021, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #2283
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Hmmm. Not mine certainly.
How far down to the water?

Interestingly, if I was there I would be reasonably OK until I looked straight down or put my camera up to my eye, at which time I would lose all idea of my surroundings and actually have to lean on the hand rails to balance myself. Leaning on rails is something that is not usually my first choice in remaining safe and secure.
It's not far down, about 60 metres. The water tumbles down another 145 metres where you see it disappear over the edge. The bridge spans 47 meters.

I'm not too fond of heights myself, but I have a (hopefully not misplaced) trust in engineering - unless it's obviously rickety. As this bridge is brand new I felt quite safe crossing it, twice, even.

The last time I felt properly queasy was after having climbed to the top of a ski jumping tower. The thing had steel grating steps, so looking down was a no-no I got to the top and enjoyed the view - until the wind picked up and the tower started swaying... I definitely needed the rails to get down again.
07-31-2021, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #2284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(hopefully not misplaced) trust in engineering
I stood on a lookout structure in Tasmania once - 275 metres above the water. (not straight down, but steep enough that one would roll all the way I think!!)
Then I realised I was standing on a platform of grating made from recycled plastic

07-31-2021, 03:17 PM   #2285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Footbridge crossing a gorge. Not everybody's cup of tea
Looks somewhat sturdy
08-01-2021, 12:22 AM - 3 Likes   #2286
Pentaxian

Possibly slightly over-engineered, compared to the footbridge above, is the old traffic bridge over the Swan River at Fremantle. It is still in daily use by cars and trucks with semi trailers taking laden containers to the port, but it has now been slated for replacement leaving a portion for heritage value. The two wider spans in the middle allow for small to medium craft to pass under and through.
Allegedly there are two kinds of captains of craft on the Swan river - those who have hit the pilings and those who have yet to hit the pilings. Through the pilings in the upper picture you can see the more modern railway bridge slightly downriver and nearest to the port.. This one was hit by a wayward container ship a couple of years ago. It is now defended by robust bumper rails set into the river floor a few meters down river of the bridge.

MX and TMax 100 and possibly M28 2.8, comercial development and scan

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 08-01-2021 at 12:33 AM.
08-01-2021, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #2287
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Looks somewhat sturdy
Definitely sturdy. No swaying what so ever even with a bit of wind and a good number of people on it. It certainly looks a tad spindly - but that just enhances the experience

08-18-2021, 06:03 AM - 4 Likes   #2288
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Crossing Rock Creek

On the way to Glacier Lake in the Beartooth Mountains of Montana.

08-18-2021, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #2289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

08-21-2021, 10:34 AM - 4 Likes   #2290

Looking straight up at the Forth Road Bridge in Fife.

Pentax Q and 01 lens,
Thanks for looking,

Ralph
08-23-2021, 07:39 AM - 4 Likes   #2291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pony Bridge over the Hoh River in Olympic Nat'l Park. Still one of my favorites.

08-23-2021, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #2292
Pentaxian

Footbridge crossing a gorge. Not everybody's cup of tea
If I were to make it 1/4 of the way, you'll need to call a helicopter to get me out. I would paralyze.
08-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #2293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bridge crossing the Arroyo Conejo to the Hill Canyon trails. Santa Rosa Valley, Calif.
08-24-2021, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2294
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
If I were to make it 1/4 of the way, you'll need to call a helicopter to get me out. I would paralyze.

I'm not too fond of heights, but crossing this one felt fine. Some years ago I climbed the tower of a ski jumping hill, and that was right on the limit of what I can manage. When the wind picked up and the tower started swaying I crossed that limit well and truly I more or less crawled to the nearest railing and lumbered down with white knuckles, eyes fixed on the horizon
08-24-2021, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #2295
Pentaxian

I'm not too fond of heights, but crossing this one felt fine. Some years ago I climbed the tower of a ski jumping hill, and that was right on the limit of what I can manage. When the wind picked up and the tower started swaying I crossed that limit well and truly I more or less crawled to the nearest railing and lumbered down with white knuckles, eyes fixed on the horizon
I have a pretty good tolerance for heights, I think. I went to Cedar Point once and rode every adult roller-coaster there... I think there were 14 at the time, one was 400 feet tall, one was 300 feet. All fun!

Then we went on the Ferris wheel, and I just about had a panic attack, sitting up there at the top, swaying gently in the breeze. There's also a tower that lifts riders gently straight up 240 feet, sits there, then abruptly drops after a random amount of time. I will never do that again. No.