Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #2401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Edit: funny, but in the quote I see that it is indeed on the River walk! Thank you for posting!Wait, now it’s gone!?! Oh well, nice photo!!
Glad you liked it - and I believe the Riverwalk is still there

08-09-2022, 10:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shieldstown covered bridge, near Seymour, Indiana
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-S908U  Photo 

Last edited by cdd29; 08-09-2022 at 11:49 AM.
08-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #2403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Medora covered bridge, near Seymour, Indiana
Why did they box the bridge in? It does not appear to be for a structural reason. I gather this was not uncommon in the USA (thinking of the film, The Bridges of Madison County, which starred Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep and a Nikon F2).
08-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #2404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Why did they box the bridge in? It does not appear to be for a structural reason. I gather this was not uncommon in the USA (thinking of the film, The Bridges of Madison County, which starred Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep and a Nikon F2).
When you say 'boxed' do you mean the sides covered? Protection from weather primarily. Most later/newer built covered bridges (at least the ones that I'm familiar) with were built like this. I also screwed up. This is the Shieldstown covered bridge, not the Medora bridge. The two are not far apart and I was thinking of the other bridge. Post corrected.

08-09-2022, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #2405
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bridges were covered to keep them safer in the winter. As we all know, bridges freeze before a road because of the air under them. In days of horse-drawn vehicles, including horse-drawn snow plows if any (NOT out in the country), even a small snow, or a drizzly rain with the temp hovering near freezing, could make a bridge dangerous to the point of deadly. So they were covered for safety. All those that I've seen, like this one, are perfectly level, no upward arch to the roadbed. There are complex beams inside to make the roadbed rigid, and these also serve to support the walls and roof. The design limits the span, so longer covered bridges such as the one in the image above always had mid-stream support(s) that survive long after the bridge is gone.
08-09-2022, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #2406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Bridges were covered to keep them safer in the winter. As we all know, bridges freeze before a road because of the air under them. In days of horse-drawn vehicles, including horse-drawn snow plows if any (NOT out in the country), even a small snow, or a drizzly rain with the temp hovering near freezing, could make a bridge dangerous to the point of deadly. So they were covered for safety. All those that I've seen, like this one, are perfectly level, no upward arch to the roadbed. There are complex beams inside to make the roadbed rigid, and these also serve to support the walls and roof. The design limits the span, so longer covered bridges such as the one in the image above always had mid-stream support(s) that survive long after the bridge is gone.
Here's one of my favorite spots. The closest pylon was from another covered bridge that the county sadly neglected despite several efforts to save it & and part of it collapsed in the late 90's. The rest of it collapsed around 2008. The second pylon was from a railroad bridge that was removed in the late 70's, early 80's.
Attached Images

08-09-2022, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #2407
Pentaxian

Here's a "bridge" in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. This is on Big Fork Ridge trail just off of Caldwell Fork in Cataloochee. That's my son with his K70! You only get the luxury of these bridges when you are fairly close to a trailhead, as you hike further into the backcountry, its off with the boots and wade!

08-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #2408
Pentaxian

Here's a bridge from a recent trip to Boston. I cant remember the name, but it starts with a Z, I think and is named after a civil rights activist if I remember correctly!

08-09-2022, 04:39 PM   #2409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one of my favorite spots. The closest pylon was from another covered bridge that the county sadly neglected despite several efforts to save it & and part of it collapsed in the late 90's. The rest of it collapsed around 2008. The second pylon was from a railroad bridge that was removed in the late 70's, early 80's.
We visited the site of a covered bridge that wasn't there, although there was a historic marker (it was a particularly long bridge). It had been completely restored some time earlier, and within a short time after the restoration a freak windstorm completely destroyed it. No one seemed to have the will to start a second restoration.
08-18-2022, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #2410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes this is a candidate for a multi-shot pano with a long lens (if I have the opportunity), It is the railroad bridge over the North Platte River, Guernsey, Wyoming. I thought it unique so rather than wait for perfection. . . .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
08-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #2411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Here's a bridge from a recent trip to Boston. I cant remember the name, but it starts with a Z, I think and is named after a civil rights activist if I remember correctly!
You remember correctly. It is the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge. He was a civil rights activist, much later than Bunker Hill.
08-18-2022, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #2412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the phrase "they don't build them like they used to" applies to both of these bridges.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
08-21-2022, 04:25 PM - 6 Likes   #2413
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mill Race Park
720nm false color infrared
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 
08-21-2022, 11:17 PM   #2414
Unregistered User

The Bridge
by C R L on Flickr
08-22-2022, 06:31 AM   #2415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mill Race Park
720nm false color infrared
False colors works very well for that image. A dreamscape.

---------- Post added 08-22-22 at 09:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote

The Bridge
by C R L on Flickr
That shadow creates a near ominous mood.