Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #931
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
A church AND a covered bridge. Very nice
Glad you enjoyed the image. I would never have remembered the name of the church, but fortunately the sign on it is easy to read when sufficiently enlarged.

02-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

St. Mary Magdalen Chapel, Camarillo CA
02-11-2021, 07:04 PM - 5 Likes   #933
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Small town church in Texas Big Bend country is actually a movie set that was used in multiple productions including the TV series "Lonesome Dove." . Some of the slapped-together buildings were evidencing their shoddy construction.when we visited, but major damage caused by flooding of the nearby river made them dangerous, and all but one structure - I don't know which* - were torn down for safety reasons.

*I would guess the orange-colored building in the second image, just because it's higher.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-11-2021 at 07:12 PM.
02-28-2021, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #934
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I seem to be the only one, even on this Sunday, who is going to church - - - - - thread to post an image.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #935
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I seem to be the only one, even on this Sunday, who is going to church - - - - - thread to post an image.
Your comment triggers interesting thought about our current situation where the photographer can take pictures of elements in the built environment but without the people from whom those things were built.
03-01-2021, 11:31 AM   #936
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Your comment triggers interesting thought about our current situation where the photographer can take pictures of elements in the built environment but without the people from whom those things were built.
Often elements of church architecture say something about the beliefs and spiritual philosophies of the denomination or sect which worships there, and during the week, not just on the Sabbath, the building is meant to communicate some of those messages. I have thought for a long time, that in rural areas the tallest spires, together, say a great deal about the traditional aspirations of a community--whether they be church steeples, courthouse cupolas, the crowns of municipal water towers, or the tops of grain elevators. Each has its own, congregation, sometimes overlapping with that of some of the other spires.
03-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #937
Pentaxian

It is interesting looking at churches from that point of view of the embodied theology. Your picture did something different in putting a church, designed as a statement of and in community, without the people and with the doors closed. I found the latter point was what you picture triggered for me.

Here, in Oxford, the competition for tall spires is between churches and the university. That reflects other contestation between them.
03-01-2021, 03:50 PM - 3 Likes   #938
Pentaxian

In the small rural communities in my part of the world, the churches still play a role at the center of village life and I'm glad they are there. I have friends who go to services even though they haven't got any faith of their own, but they go because the village church is the social glue that holds their community together. Although I'm a committed non-believer myself, I love visiting churches and always find it a peaceful and meditative experience. And I love photographing them.

This is the 13th Century church in the tiny village of Sampford Spiney, which is exactly the sort of place I mean.

03-02-2021, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #939
Pentaxian

One of those halls looks much older than the other. Seems like an extension project during the centuries. Another church I know like that is at Cogges, along the Windrush opposite the Witney Waitrose. The Cogges church has a door with no external knob, just like Holman’s famous painting.
03-02-2021, 02:26 AM   #940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
One of those halls looks much older than the other. Seems like an extension project during the centuries. Another church I know like that is at Cogges, along the Windrush opposite the Witney Waitrose. The Cogges church has a door with no external knob, just like Holman’s famous painting.

Apparently the tower, south aisle and porch are 16th Century additions, and if my hopeless sense of direction is right then the south aisle is the one closest to the camera here. The main church was originally a private family chapel for the lord of the manor.

I'd guess that making architectural additions to churches in the 16th Century must have been a fairly contentious issue. Do something that implied the wrong doctrine and you could have ended up in a whole heap of dry kindling.
03-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #941
Pentaxian

There was contention during the 15th century that was on a fairly short time frame compared with the building project duration. The major theological issues were with the furnishings, images or not, and placement of furniture in the altar area. Those were relatively easy to choose after the main structure.

Going to an older church it is interesting to see modifications done through the history.
03-22-2021, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #942
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find Greek churches most interesting, culturally and architecturally. I say Greek, because locus has played a huge part here. Especially when it comes to those remote ones, up in the mountains or far away at a rocky shore. Traditional churches seem to possess the secret of perfectly fitting in their surroundings , like they emerged from the earth's depths. Painted white, most of the times, so they can reflect the beautiful light of the Mediterranean sky.
03-22-2021, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #943
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being a Pastor, with some knowledge of the histories of some churches, I'll resist the temptation and simply post
03-23-2021, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #944
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mykonos. As I've remarked before, prior to "modern architecture" churches within some countries tended to have standardized features, or a very similar overall design, or were made with particular materials so that you would at a glance know where the church was built. Traditional Greek design is stark white stucco exteriors, generally small windows, and rather than a bell tower some sort of arch atop the front wall where one or more bells were hung and operated by a rope from the outside of the building.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
5 Days Ago   #945
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Being a Pastor, with some knowledge of the histories of some churches, I'll resist the temptation and simply post
Well built but very austere.