Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2020, 04:31 AM   #841
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
Mission San Xavier del Bac, Tucson, AZ
You caught it in beautiful light. I got it in flat frontal light. Did you spot the cat & mouse?

04-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #842
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Spanish influence on the architecture, I'm thinking.
I tend to concur with your thoughts...

---------- Post added 04-15-20 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
You caught it in beautiful light. I got it in flat frontal light. Did you spot the cat & mouse?
Metaphorically, no. You must have a better eye than I... Aye?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Geodude; 04-15-2020 at 08:50 AM.
04-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #843
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to concur with your thoughts...

---------- Post added 04-15-20 at 10:44 AM ----------

Metaphorically, no. You must have a better eye than I... Aye?
Look at this image closely. There's a curl on the fancy work on each side at about 10-11 o'clock from the balcony on the right and symmetrically at 1-2 o'clock on the left. Within each curl there's an animal, just visible. It's a cat on the left, a mouse or rat on the right. The legend/myth whatever = when that cat catches that rat, eternity will begin.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-16-2020 at 07:40 AM.
04-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #844
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at this image closely. There's a curl on the fancy work on each side at about 10-11 o'clock from the balcony on the left and symmetrically at 1-2 o'clock on the right. Within each curl there's an animal, just visible. It's a cat on the left, a mouse or rat on the right. The legend/myth whatever = when that cat catches that rat, eternity will begin.
Quite interesting. It probably would have taken me an eternity to have found them on my own...

Attached Images

04-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #845
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite interesting. It probably would have taken me an eternity to have found them on my own...
I got them backwards: Cat on the right, mouse or rat with more pointy muzzle on the left.
04-28-2020, 12:59 AM   #846
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hazy Inverness

The prospect of a fine day beckons...

04-28-2020, 01:08 AM   #847
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The interior of the "Great st.Laurence Church" in Alkmaar

04-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #848
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
The interior of the "Great st.Laurence Church" in Alkmaar
I want to play that organ. I've heard recordings.
04-28-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Immanuel Protestant Episcopal Church, founded 1689, old by the standards of the USA. I doubt very much that the building now standing is the original.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
04-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #850
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Immanuel Protestant Episcopal Church, founded 1689, old by the standards of the USA. I doubt very much that the building now standing is the original.
Interesting how measures of old depend on place. Where I was born the oldest churches are less than 200 years. The church I go to now has one item of the communion silverware that is 15 years older than that church. And a church has been on the site for about 1200 years, maybe more. Parts of the building date back to the Norman era and the most recent parts to about 15 years ago. Plans for further additions and changes.
04-30-2020, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #851
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Interesting how measures of old depend on place. Where I was born the oldest churches are less than 200 years. The church I go to now has one item of the communion silverware that is 15 years older than that church. And a church has been on the site for about 1200 years, maybe more. Parts of the building date back to the Norman era and the most recent parts to about 15 years ago. Plans for further additions and changes.
Time is really an elusive concept. We visited a megalithic site, called a "temple," on Malta that predates the earliest Egyptian pyramids as well as Stonehenge. Then I go back to being a paleontologist and realize its age compared to the age of the Earth is like dust atop a 20 story building. Imagine time as a string in which one inch = one million years. To cover the age of the Earth, the string would be about 4,000 inches (333 feet) long. All those megalithic structures, including the single one that's older than the Malta "temple" would be within less than 1/100 of an inch at the end of the string. "Deep time" as paleontologists, geologists, astronomers etc call it is really scary and sobering. Small wonder that vast numbers of humans cannot grasp it and will not accept it.
04-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #852
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
In North America 100 years is a long time.
In Europe 100 miles is a long distance.
04-30-2020, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Notre-Dame Cathedral, Ottawa

This is the largest and oldest-standing church in Ottawa. Construction began in 1841, and the church became a cathedral in 1847, eight years prior to the formal creation of the city of Ottawa.
Here are two views from the National Gallery of Canada on a grey and drizzly evening.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-30-2020 at 07:42 AM.
04-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #854
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In North America 100 years is a long time.
In Europe 100 miles is a long distance.
A famous paleontologist when asked why he only worked on reptiles that lived before the dinosaurs but never worked on post-dinosaur mammals replied: "They still smell."
04-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #855
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
This is the largest and oldest-standing church in Ottawa. Construction began in 1841, and the church became a cathedral in 1847, eight years prior to the formal creation of the city of Ottawa.
Here are two views from the National Gallery of Canada on a grey and drizzly evening.

- Craig

I walked past there during my only visit to Ottawa in 2013, a little earlier in the year than now. There was still a lot of snow around.