Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5201 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 05:15 AM   #4066
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been several times I've been obliged to switch sides when driving outside the USA. One persistent error problem you don't always think about - - looking back to the right when making a right turn. In the USA, you always look both ways when making a left turn from a secondary onto a bigger road, but generally you only need to look back to the left when making a right turn after pausing at a stop sign. Almost made a disastrous error a couple times on that. And once I entered a "roundabout" ("traffic circle" in U.S. parlance) the wrong way in Britain. Fortunately it was essentially empty and i was able to pull off quickly into a restaurant parking lot.

01-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #4067
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
There have been several times I've been obliged to switch sides when driving outside the USA. One persistent error problem you don't always think about - - looking back to the right when making a right turn. In the USA, you always look both ways when making a left turn from a secondary onto a bigger road, but generally you only need to look back to the left when making a right turn after pausing at a stop sign. Almost made a disastrous error a couple times on that. And once I entered a "roundabout" ("traffic circle" in U.S. parlance) the wrong way in Britain. Fortunately it was essentially empty and i was able to pull off quickly into a restaurant parking lot.
I was taught, and I taught my son, that at any intersection the sequence is to look:

left

right

left

go

whether you intent to go straight or turn left

why

oncoming traffic from the right ( the further lane ) allows you to turn into nearest lane ( yes the wrong lane ) to avoid it

oncoming traffic from the left, ( the first lane ) however, makes you have to cross the nearest lane to get to a clear lane

you also have to be careful when turning that some idiot hasn't stepped from the curb into your path while you check the other direction for oncoming traffic

I hate 2 lane roads because the 4 lane road have " taught " too many idiots that there is no need to hurry to pass a vehicle and get back to your normal lane

Defensive Driving, First, Second and Last

road travel is one of the most, if not the most, dangerous things we do on a regular basis
01-03-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #4068
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On rural highways around here, it isn't uncommon to see people pulling to the wrong side of the road to check their mailboxes. Then they often block both lanes as they turn into their farmstead driveways!
01-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #4069
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

in the two lane county black tops where I grew up in east central Illinois, the roads were "crowned " and slightly dipped toward the edges

so you routinely drove down the middle until you approached a curve or a hill or saw oncoming traffic

of course with the farmers growing corn ditch to ditch, you had to slow at each intersection because you could not see down the intersecting road until you actually started to enter the intersection

01-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #4070
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
in the two lane county black tops where I grew up in east central Illinois, the roads were "crowned " and slightly dipped toward the edges

so you routinely drove down the middle until you approached a curve or a hill or saw oncoming traffic

of course with the farmers growing corn ditch to ditch, you had to slow at each intersection because you could not see down the intersecting road until you actually started to enter the intersection
I was talking about small state highways with center striping, but driving in the center on truly narrow unstriped blacktop roads, as with gravel roads, is still the norm. Those roads might actually be a good place for someone to practice left side driving before going on a trip to the UK--except they'd have to be sure to get over to the right at blind intersections or when approaching the tops of hills!

When I was a kid, the state highways were much narrower, the turns were much sharper, the valleys had much less fill in them, and the speed limit signs showed a night-time speed limit ten mph lower than for daytime. In some areas driving on those roads was a bit like being on a roller coaster ride.
01-03-2018, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #4071
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Then there is this one. .[Graphic of car on its side] ... It says it indicates a traffic accident.

So, they have to erect a permanent sign for this?
It does not need to be permanent. There are such things as folding fabric or metal signs that police can carry to put up. Having said that, I cannot recall ever having seen your sign in the UK; usually there is a sign that says "Police Accident" that makes it sound like the police themselves have had the accident

01-03-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #4072
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I was talking about small state highways with center striping, but driving in the center on truly narrow unstriped blacktop roads, as with gravel roads, is still the norm. Those roads might actually be a good place for someone to practice left side driving before going on a trip to the UK--except they'd have to be sure to get over to the right at blind intersections or when approaching the tops of hills!
One thing I found difficult to adjust to when driving on the right in Europe and North America was judging the distance from parked cars on the passenger side. It was like being a learner again.

I heard Bill Bryson describing what he liked about the UK and one thing he said was that it was a country designed for left-handers - for example, you change gears with your left hand, and you drive on the left. I'm left-handed and get what he means.

01-03-2018, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #4073
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
... Bill Bryson describing what he liked about the UK and one thing he said was that it was a country designed for left-handers - for example, you change gears with your left hand, and you drive on the left. I'm left-handed and get what he means.
But you change gears with your left hand while steering with your right, and the latter requires more skill.

Driving on the left was designed for right-handers because that is how you held your whip in horse-drawn days, and you did not want the whip to tangle with the hedge. Pedestrian peasants walked on the right (still the case in the UK) to face any oncoming carriages that might be driven at them by aristocratic Hooray Henries, so they could see them coming and leap to safety into the ditch. Officials in carriages in Revolutionary France took to driving on the right to show solidarity with the peasants and avoid being mistaken for aristocrats and lynched. I believe that the USA followed French practice to show solidarity with French republicanism.
01-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #4074
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
But you change gears with your left hand while steering with your right, and the latter requires more skill.

Driving on the left was designed for right-handers because that is how you held your whip in horse-drawn days, and you did not want the whip to tangle with the hedge. Pedestrian peasants walked on the right (still the case in the UK) to face any oncoming carriages that might be driven at them by aristocratic Hooray Henries, so they could see them coming and leap to safety into the ditch. Officials in carriages in Revolutionary France took to driving on the right to show solidarity with the peasants and avoid being mistaken for aristocrats and lynched. I believe that the USA followed French practice to show solidarity with French republicanism.
this article says it was the teamsters in the US

no not the Union Teamsters, before that group

Why Some Countries Drive on the Right and Some Countries Drive on the Left

and possibly Napoleon in other parts of the world
01-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #4075
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
this article says it was the teamsters in the US

no not the Union Teamsters, before that group

Why Some Countries Drive on the Right and Some Countries Drive on the Left

and possibly Napoleon in other parts of the world
A very interesting article. As with some other traditions, the precise origin is sometimes a bit murky. (example: why kiss under mistletoe at Christmas?)
01-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #4076
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
. . . . . . . . and the speed limit signs showed a night-time speed limit ten mph lower than for daytime. In some areas driving on those roads was a bit like being on a roller coaster ride.
Some states still have split daytime/nighttime limits on rural 2 lane highways.

Montana for example.

Which is weird, because Montana didn't have a state speed limit until the Fed threatened to pull highway funding for states that failed to comply with "gas saving" 55mph maximum speed limits in the 1970's. Of course they have raised the limits back up to reasonable numbers now, 75 most multi lane interstates, and 65/70 (day/night) on 2 lanes.
01-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #4077
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I found difficult to adjust to when driving on the right in Europe and North America was judging the distance from parked cars on the passenger side. It was like being a learner again.
But the distance is the same.

I heard Bill Bryson describing what he liked about the UK and one thing he said was that it was a country designed for left-handers - for example, you change gears with your left hand, and you drive on the left. I'm left-handed and get what he means.
I'm ambidextrous.

I should do well if I ever drive where they sit on the other side and drive on the left.

I drove a truck once that had operating controls the right side. It was a chassis cab destined to be a refuse truck. Kinda of like this one:

Last edited by Racer X 69; 01-05-2018 at 08:46 PM.
01-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #4078
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
(example: why kiss under mistletoe at Christmas?)
Because kissing is fun and I'll make any excuse to lock lips with a member of the opposite gender?
01-06-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #4079
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Montana for example.

Which is weird, because Montana didn't have a state speed limit until the Fed threatened to pull highway funding for states that failed to comply with "gas saving" 55mph maximum speed limits in the 1970's. Of course they have raised the limits back up to reasonable numbers now, 75 most multi lane interstates, and 65/70 (day/night) on 2 lanes.
The ones I remember from about 60 years ago in rural west-central Illinois were 65 mph daytime, and 55 mph at night. The 65 was printed in black on the white upper half of the sign, and the 55 was reversed, white numerals on black, on the lower half of the sign.
01-06-2018, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #4080
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Montana for example.

Montana's Interstates are now 80 MPH with no night time restrictions, trucks go at 65 MPH. Two lanes are 70 MPH day, 65 MPH night, trucks 60 and 55. The night limits are to protect nocturnal wildlife.
« in your garden... | - »