Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5203 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #5086
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice and informative reply Rob. I was being facetious though.
Ah, such things can be hard to detect in the absence of the voice and body language.

QuoteQuote:
Here is a Qantas 787.
I had to check that a bit more, but I figured it out eventually by the info you put on Flickr - Qantas doesn't fly to Seattle, but their aircraft might be built there (and I hope they are).
Nice shot!

11-02-2019, 04:14 AM   #5087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-02-2019, 06:06 AM   #5088
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I had to check that a bit more, but I figured it out eventually by the info you put on Flickr - Qantas doesn't fly to Seattle, but their aircraft might be built there (and I hope they are).
Nice shot!
Thanks Rob!

Actually, that is a brand new 787, preparing for takeoff abort testing, at Paine Field, about 30 miles North of Seattle. The Boeing factory in Everett, Washington manufactures the 747 (since 1969), the 767 freighter, KC-46 tanker, 787, 777 and 777X (or 777-9), in the World's Largest Building (by volume).
11-02-2019, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #5089
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Qantas was one of the first operators of the 707, 747 and other Boeing aircraft. They are phasing out the 747-400, and I'm going on a flight to Japan on one in December before it is retired. Qantas and Virgin operate large numbers of 737 aircraft in Australia (three have been grounded due to the "pickle fork" fault). Canberra is also a base for a number of 717 aircraft. Qantas appears to be leaning toward Airbus, and is purchasing a quantity of A321 aircraft to replace some of the 737 fleet. Qantas has just started flying the 787, but already had them in its Jetstar fleet. They haven't chosen between the A350 and 777 for the super long haul routes. The RAAF also operates the Wedgetail and P8 which are based on the 737BBJ as well as a couple of BBJ executive jets. I suspect that the A330 MRTT was chosen because Qantas also fly the A330 and could do the heavy maintenance on the MRTT. The RAAF also has the F18A,B, F,G and the C17. I think the FA18A/B aircraft were built here under license.

Come to think of it, Qantas have one 767 freighter and a couple of 747-8 freighters.

So yes, there's lots of Boeing aircraft in the air in Oz. Actually - one of the other photos I recently posted was a Qantas 737-800 at Avalon.

PS I've flown on the 707, 747B, 747SP, 747-400, 717, 727, 737-200, 737-800, 787, 767, 777 and in the USA possibly the 757. I also flew on the DC-9 when I was a kid, the aircraft which became the 717.
You can put a number on this thing that we road back from Melbourne to LA (about 14 hours). It isn't really an aircraft, it's a skyscraper with wings. In fact, it's a good craft, very smooth and with sufficient knee room that I was generally comfortable, although I always take an aisle seat so I can stretch my leg out. $%#&&#*! osteoarthritis causes my knees to get very stiff and painful if I sit too long, walk too far, or stand too long in one place = cannot win.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
11-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #5090
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Rob!
Actually, that is a brand new 787, preparing for takeoff abort testing, at Paine Field, about 30 miles North of Seattle. The Boeing factory in Everett, Washington manufactures the 747 (since 1969), the 767 freighter, KC-46 tanker, 787, 777 and 777X (or 777-9), in the World's Largest Building (by volume).
Yep, I read your description of the photo on Flickr; that's how I realised that it came to be in the Seattle region. I didn't explain well that I hoped our 787 aircraft weren't built in the other factory, where there's been issues with quality. So I'm happy to see the aircraft built and tested in Everett.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 11:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
You can put a number on this thing that we road back from Melbourne to LA (about 14 hours). It isn't really an aircraft, it's a skyscraper with wings. In fact, it's a good craft, very smooth and with sufficient knee room that I was generally comfortable, although I always take an aisle seat so I can stretch my leg out. $%#&&#*! osteoarthritis causes my knees to get very stiff and painful if I sit too long, walk too far, or stand too long in one place = cannot win.
That one is an Airbus A380, which I didn't mention earlier since it's made by Boeing's competitor. I've flown the A380 to Europe twice, although my experience on Malaysian was light years ahead of Lufthansa. May I never see the inside of another Lufthansa plane! On Malaysian I was able to get an exit row seat for about $30 extra, resulting in about 3 metres of leg room. I recommend that option if you fly the other way!
11-02-2019, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #5091
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I read your description of the photo on Flickr; that's how I realised that it came to be in the Seattle region. I didn't explain well that I hoped our 787 aircraft weren't built in the other factory, where there's been issues with quality. So I'm happy to see the aircraft built and tested in Everett.

---------- Post added 02-11-19 at 11:28 PM ----------

That one is an Airbus A380, which I didn't mention earlier since it's made by Boeing's competitor. I've flown the A380 to Europe twice, although my experience on Malaysian was light years ahead of Lufthansa. May I never see the inside of another Lufthansa plane! On Malaysian I was able to get an exit row seat for about $30 extra, resulting in about 3 metres of leg room. I recommend that option if you fly the other way!
I was switched to an exit door row once in a 747 when traveling with a small child, which I think would be forbidden now. I didn't need the leg room then, but Matthew could sit on the floor and play (they weren't as strict about always wearing your seat belts back then). One of my worst experiences comfort wise for room was Alaska Airline. I think they only know how to transport dead fish - - and sardines at that.
11-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #5092
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't explain well that I hoped our 787 aircraft weren't built in the other factory, where there's been issues with quality. So I'm happy to see the aircraft built and tested in Everett.
Yes, I hear the discussion frequently, but I shouldn't comment further, for obvious reasons.

That one is an Airbus A380, which I didn't mention earlier since it's made by Boeing's competitor.
Boeing doesn't have an airplane to compete or even compare to the A380.

And I doubt there ever will be one.

I read recently that Airbus is having trouble selling the A380, and is now planning to discontinue it. They likely will never recover the development costs, let alone make a profit from it.

The current trends in air travel are twin aisle twin engine airplanes for long haul routes, and single aisle twin engine airplanes for shorter routes.

11-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #5093
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it have a restaurant in the middle?

A small shopping mall?

What a behemoth.
11-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #5094
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. There is what might be called a shopping mall level, below the lobby level, but it's actually a double level mall with multiple shops, some of them high end, and multiple eateries, most of them low end. And of course the hotel itself had several restaurants on intermediate floors. The neighborhood stores also included all the big names, Armani, Cartier, Vuitton, TAG Heuer, places that only sell handbags with a select few on display, and numerous others I've never heard of but you can tell "if you ask the price, you shouldn't be in here."
All that on an airplane?

Priceless!

11-02-2019, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #5095
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All that on an airplane?

Priceless!
And I didn't mention the tennis courts, jogging track and Olympic pool. They want to make it a destination in itself.
11-02-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #5096
Veteran Member

Bond, James Bond… Aston Martin DB9 Inspection Plate. Martyn did a good job.

11-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #5097
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sign and scene seen in passing, from the window of a small tour bus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
11-02-2019, 10:16 AM - 4 Likes   #5098
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"LOVE" sign at Davio's
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10 Mark III  Photo 
11-02-2019, 10:51 AM - 4 Likes   #5099