Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2020, 06:35 PM - 5 Likes   #5626
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 2,333
They are serious here on the Eastern Shore

g

09-06-2020, 09:31 AM - 5 Likes   #5627
Pentaxian
Sage97's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,911
QuoteOriginally posted by jquill Quote
They are serious here on the Eastern Shore
Hilarious!!!

---------- Post added 09-06-20 at 10:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Glad that Bud's house is so neat a clean. What a living room!
Bud's house has some nice stars too.



To clarify that this is relevant to the thread, there is a small sign on the left side of the pic.
09-09-2020, 01:53 PM - 3 Likes   #5628
Pentaxian
Thagomizer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 1,453
Swans:




09-09-2020, 03:14 PM - 4 Likes   #5629
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 2,333
I only have one word: Merica!!!

Merica!!

09-09-2020, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #5630
Pentaxian
scratchpaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,775
QuoteOriginally posted by jquill Quote
I only have one word: Merica!!!

Merica!!
I see he has a spotlight to light 'er up at night, too.

A comment on the other signs in the picture: I work at a place that (among other things) prints signs, and we absolutely cannot keep up with the demand for "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" signs. It went through the roof a few months ago and has stayed there ever since.
09-09-2020, 07:29 PM - 3 Likes   #5631
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 2,333
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I see he has a spotlight to light 'er up at night, too.

A comment on the other signs in the picture: I work at a place that (among other things) prints signs, and we absolutely cannot keep up with the demand for "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" signs. It went through the roof a few months ago and has stayed there ever since.
I think I know where some of them went.

Yes, but what do they really mean?
09-09-2020, 08:33 PM - 7 Likes   #5632
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,447
One cow...

09-10-2020, 08:49 PM - 4 Likes   #5633
Pentaxian
Thagomizer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 1,453
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
One cow...

I guess cows are little more widely spread than swans (see above) , though when you get down to it, neither is a terribly practical unit of measure, as it's always likely that the nearest convenient swan (or cow) is going to be otherwise engaged in swan (or cow) business of its own that it may not wish to interrupt at short notice. There's the whole issue of metric or Imperial swans (or cows) to further complicate matters. For issues of social distancing, it may notbe a big deal, but if you're launching a rocket or building a skyscraper, yuo've got to be careful and consistant with your choice of bird or bovine.

Of course in the old days, when the official unit was the king's foot, or the distance between his oustretched hand and the end of his nose, flustered monarchs would be hauled out of banquets, hunting parties and important ministerial meetings so that people could measure things. Pacing off here and there, or holding his hand and nose just so for hours at a time as he was passed from measurement to measurement (as there was only ever one king at a time to go around), was an inconvenience to all concerned. It played constant havoc with royal schedules. Before the king could open a bridge or launch a ship, he would have had to measure it scores of times as it was being built; sure once it was opened or launched that would be the end of it, but then it was on to the next building site and another load of interminable pacing and stretching. And not tÚ mention the chaos that would ensue any time dynastic succession resulted in a king significantly larger or smaller than the previous one. The distances to places throughout the land would change, and as a result, all the road signs would have to be replaced.


Last edited by Thagomizer; 09-10-2020 at 09:08 PM.
09-11-2020, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #5634
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,147
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
I guess cows are little more widely spread than swans (see above) , though when you get down to it, neither is a terribly practical unit of measure, as it's always likely that the nearest convenient swan (or cow) is going to be otherwise engaged in swan (or cow) business of its own that it may not wish to interrupt at short notice. There's the whole issue of metric or Imperial swans (or cows) to further complicate matters. For issues of social distancing, it may notbe a big deal, but if you're launching a rocket or building a skyscraper, yuo've got to be careful and consistant with your choice of bird or bovine.

Of course in the old days, when the official unit was the king's foot, or the distance between his oustretched hand and the end of his nose, flustered monarchs would be hauled out of banquets, hunting parties and important ministerial meetings so that people could measure things. Pacing off here and there, or holding his hand and nose just so for hours at a time as he was passed from measurement to measurement (as there was only ever one king at a time to go around), was an inconvenience to all concerned. It played constant havoc with royal schedules. Before the king could open a bridge or launch a ship, he would have had to measure it scores of times as it was being built; sure once it was opened or launched that would be the end of it, but then it was on to the next building site and another load of interminable pacing and stretching. And not tÚ mention the chaos that would ensue any time dynastic succession resulted in a king significantly larger or smaller than the previous one. The distances to places throughout the land would change, and as a result, all the road signs would have to be replaced.


---------- Post added 09-11-20 at 11:14 AM ----------

No it wasn't. Never saw a dog, never saw any police, and certainly didn't see any training going on. I guess "Please keep out" doesn't cut it any more.


Police dog training area par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
09-11-2020, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5635
Pentaxian
Thagomizer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 1,453


Translation: Keep back 75 swans (or cows). Now that's real social distancing!
09-11-2020, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #5636
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 2,333
The Viking Shore. N77TF is the aircraft tail number for a Viking Air Limited DHC-6-400 however the prop on the sign would be a bit small for that aircraft model.

In any case, you are not welcome.

09-11-2020, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #5637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,148
The Power of Broccoli
09-11-2020, 05:06 PM - 3 Likes   #5638
Pentaxian
scratchpaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,775
QuoteOriginally posted by jquill Quote
The Viking Shore. N77TF is the aircraft tail number for a Viking Air Limited DHC-6-400 however the prop on the sign would be a bit small for that aircraft model.

In any case, you are not welcome.
Interesting. The Posted sign on the right was printed where I work. The one on the left is from our main competitor. Also, in the last picture you posted, the "No Hunting" signs are ours, the "Posted" ones are not. People have no loyalty anymore.

It's funny how the company's products are so visible across the U.S. and Canada, yet I'd never heard of them until I got a job there three years ago. You know those kiosks where you can engrave your own pet tags at the front of Walmart? We make those right here, too. Ditto for key duplication kiosks. It's one of those ubiquitous companies no one has ever heard of.
09-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #5639
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 2,333
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Interesting. The Posted sign on the right was printed where I work. The one on the left is from our main competitor. Also, in the last picture you posted, the "No Hunting" signs are ours, the "Posted" ones are not. People have no loyalty anymore.

It's funny how the company's products are so visible across the U.S. and Canada, yet I'd never heard of them until I got a job there three years ago. You know those kiosks where you can engrave your own pet tags at the front of Walmart? We make those right here, too. Ditto for key duplication kiosks. It's one of those ubiquitous companies no one has ever heard of.
Yea, loyalty isn't what it used to be.
09-12-2020, 04:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5640
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,355
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auckland, boat, body, business, changes, cove, day, drivers, father, flickr, highway, jason, k-x, limit, pentax, pentax-m, phones, post, restaurant, richard, sale, sign, signs, supermarket, test, time, vehicle, wall, water, yacht
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night The sign of Come Fly Away JSJ Post Your Photos! 9 07-12-2018 06:42 AM
Misc Sign :) OrenMc Post Your Photos! 2 08-20-2010 02:42 AM
Question Plus sign after usernames Ash Site Suggestions and Help 9 01-27-2010 09:11 AM
A Sign of Spring Sailor Post Your Photos! 14 02-21-2007 05:27 PM
Fun sign mingdie Post Your Photos! 2 02-04-2007 01:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top