Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #4081
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Montana's Interstates are now 80 MPH with no night time restrictions, trucks go at 65 MPH.
Is it even 80 through the cities like Billings, Butte and Bozeman?

01-06-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #4082
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Is it even 80 through the cities like Billings, Butte and Bozeman?
No, "urban" areas are 65 MPH.
01-07-2018, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #4083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But the distance is the same.

I'm ambidextrous.

I should do well if I ever drive where they sit on the other side and drive on the left.

I drove a truck once that had operating controls the right side. It was a chassis cab destined to be a refuse truck. Kinda of like this one:
Staying on the correct side is typically not/doesn't feel like a problem (except in parking lots and when overtaking).
The weird part for me is the vehicle control; canver on the road means that the approach/line to the corners is completely opposite as the mass of the vehicle/width of the vehicle is opposite to what you think.

I also have issues with looking the wrong way in the rear-view mirror (not an issue if you are used to trucks anyway), and the big one for me; mashing the incorrect hand against the side of the car when changing gears. Everything else is pretty good after ~280K on each side of the road.
My solution - when driving on the left = use manual/stick. When right, don't.

Given that most trucks are going to electronic/auto gearboxes anyway, you should be fine!
01-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #4084
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Montana's Interstates are now 80 MPH with no night time restrictions, trucks go at 65 MPH. Two lanes are 70 MPH day, 65 MPH night, trucks 60 and 55. The night limits are to protect nocturnal wildlife.
not sure about Europe or Britain or even other parts of the US

but around here on highway/interstate if the posted speed limit is X most people drive between 5 - 10 mph over

so the Kansas Turnpike

Kansas Turnpike Authority

is 75 MPH [ 120.7008 KPH ] and most folks drive between 80 and 85 MPH

01-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #4085
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Because kissing is fun and I'll make any excuse to lock lips with a member of the opposite gender?
Obviously, but the question is, why particularly under mistletoe and at Christmas? The origin of the tradition is not clear,
01-07-2018, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #4086
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A sign at a reserve in Kenya. BTW: "Baraka" roughly translates as "the one who is (or brings) a blessing."
Attached Images

01-07-2018, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #4087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

but around here on highway/interstate if the posted speed limit is X most people drive between 5 - 10 mph over

so the Kansas Turnpike

Kansas Turnpike Authority

is 75 MPH [ 120.7008 KPH ] and most folks drive between 80 and 85 MPH
Oh yeah, same here. 90 is not uncommon as the fine is only $40.00 and no points are issued up to 10 over.

Of course, then there are those who are feeling "lucky" today.

01-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #4088
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
British speed limits are the same night and day.
01-09-2018, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #4089
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

90 is not uncommon

That's fine. Dozens and dozens of Darwin Awards at the ready.
01-09-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #4090
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's fine. Dozens and dozens of Darwin Awards at the ready.
Some people can't stand the idea of being later for their own funeral.
01-10-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #4091
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In MA and IL 90 MPH would be ridiculous. Out here with wide open spaces and little traffic it's no big deal. Well, at least until the Easterners bring out their motor homes.
01-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #4092
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

01-18-2018, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #4093
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Staying on the correct side is typically not/doesn't feel like a problem (except in parking lots and when overtaking).
The weird part for me is the vehicle control; canver on the road means that the approach/line to the corners is completely opposite as the mass of the vehicle/width of the vehicle is opposite to what you think.

I also have issues with looking the wrong way in the rear-view mirror (not an issue if you are used to trucks anyway), and the big one for me; mashing the incorrect hand against the side of the car when changing gears. Everything else is pretty good after ~280K on each side of the road.
My solution - when driving on the left = use manual/stick. When right, don't.

Given that most trucks are going to electronic/auto gearboxes anyway, you should be fine!
Yeah, I've done the hand mashing from time to time, but not too often. Our recent trip to South Africa is the first time I've driven an automatic on the "wrong" side. As at home automatic is a blessing in the cities, but I'm not too fond of it on steep and winding roads. With a very few exceptions I find automatic gear shifting way too sluggish. "Yes, yes, I know you're putting your foot down. You want me to go faster? You do? Really? Ok, then.... Let's... GOOOOO!!!"

When going to places where you need 4x4 and high ground clearance I find manual/stick shift an absolute must.
01-18-2018, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #4094
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
On my first trip to North America, a friend picked me up at the airport. I automatically went to the left hand side of the car, but found a steering wheel there! She said, "You driving?"

I always do that the first couple of times I approach a vehicle after having newly arrived somewhere "leftist".

this article says it was the teamsters in the US

no not the Union Teamsters, before that group

Why Some Countries Drive on the Right and Some Countries Drive on the Left

and possibly Napoleon in other parts of the world
Interesting. A couple more "useless facts"; Sweden switched to keep-right as late as 1967, although they had prepared for quite a while and most vehicles had the steering wheel on the left already (despite a referendum in 1955 where the vote was overwhelmingly to stick to keep left). And Mozambique keeps to the left even though being a former Portuguese colony. I assume it's because all the surrounding countries all are keep-left.

Samoa switched to keep-left in 2008 to ease the use of cheap second-hand imports from Japan.

In the United States Virgin Islands they keep to the left, while the British territory of Gibraltar keeps to the right.
01-18-2018, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #4095
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
When going to places where you need 4x4 and high ground clearance I find manual/stick shift an absolute must.
I'm the opposite. I've driven manual vehicles most of my life, including the Suzuki 4WD pictured above. I love the control a stick shift gives on windy roads. But I find the automatic transmission on our current 4WD better to drive off road - auto is better in steep ascents, or river crossings, or in soft sand, and you can go dead slow without stalling. The only disadvantage is in steep descents - but left foot braking and driving through the transmission deals with that. Automatic Driving