08-04-2018, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #4411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

08-04-2018, 07:49 AM - 5 Likes   #4412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Akin to the signpost posted by henrikpedersen33 above (post #4411), from this spot in the Azores you can get to all the other places in the Azores. Must be one of those "hubs" the airline people talk about. Turns out you can get to anywhere in the world as well. I'll scrounge out the image of that nearby signpost and put up an image later.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-06-2018 at 04:37 AM.
08-04-2018, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #4413
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

informative
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-04-2018, 11:25 AM - 6 Likes   #4414
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are the places you can get to that are outside of the Azores if you start on this spot in the Azores.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-04-2018, 11:28 AM - 7 Likes   #4415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And here are some of the places you can get to from Key West, Florida, another hub. But it doesn't appear possible to go to or from the Azores to or from Key West. For that connection I guess you'd need a third hub. Via London (Londres) perhaps? Hopefully NOT via Melbourne.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
08-05-2018, 11:30 PM - 3 Likes   #4416
Pentaxian

There is a lot of funny stuff in this forum, I like it. Here's one from the freeway the other day.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
08-09-2018, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #4417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love those sign posts with the world city names on them. There is a sign post I've seen that might at first look like it is one of those, but it isn't. Sadly, I didn't have a camera with me, but I'll tell you about it.

The sign is on Illinois State Highway Route 1, south of Paris in southern Illinois. Route 1 goes up the east side of the state all the way to Chicago. I don't remember the exact miles figures on the sign but it says something like:

PARIS.............6

CHICAGO....184

... seeming to cinch the world a bit closer together!

08-10-2018, 03:31 AM   #4418
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the very bad experience of borrowing and driving a dangerously under powered VW mini-van. It was literally a matter of flooring the accelerator then waiting for something to happen.
08-10-2018, 04:12 AM   #4419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
It was literally a matter of flooring the accelerator then waiting for something to happen.
And, most of the time, something did--eventually.
08-10-2018, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #4420
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
And, most of the time, something did--eventually.
Yes, but I could accelerate faster on my bicycle - - correction, my tricycle.
08-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #4421
Pentaxian

I had the very bad experience of borrowing and driving a dangerously under powered VW mini-van. It was literally a matter of flooring the accelerator then waiting for something to happen.
I've driven a few times the newer styled body version of the VW which still had the air cooled engine, and your words sum it up. Taking the thing, loaded up to full capacity, up to Tahoe was quite something. We made that trip routinely and only once got pulled over for driving too slow.

Last edited by pixie; 08-10-2018 at 10:31 PM.
08-11-2018, 03:48 AM   #4422
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixie Quote
I've driven a few times the newer styled body version of the VW which still had the air cooled engine, and your words sum it up. Taking the thing, loaded up to full capacity, up to Tahoe was quite something. We made that trip routinely and only once got pulled over for driving too slow.
The one I borrowed sometime in the late 1960's was already very old, probably dating from the mid 1950's(?). The engine was low horesepower when new, and with probably over 100,000 on the odo, it was more than showing its age. Like driving a lawnmower.
08-14-2018, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #4423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had 1977 VW (bus) Station Wagon It zipped around quite handily.

I don't know what model would be called a VW "mini-van"; that term hadn't been invented then. Whatever vehicle it was, if you pressed on the accelerator and little or nothing happened, it was obviously in serious need of some kind of repair or maintenance. Maybe it needed something replaced in the fuel system. Or if it had a carburetor, perhaps the choke wasn't operating properly.

Our VW would fall below the speed limit on very long, steep hills, because one would need to downshift. Still it had plenty of power in the correct gear for the task. For a couple of years, on vacations, we pulled a Boler travel trailer with it, had a canoe on top, and with the interior stuffed to the gills, we could still hit the speed limit (with it floored). It was kind of like having cruise control, an option not available. Nonetheless, we still got 20mpg or better when traveling with that load, which was excellent gas mileage for the time. We had very aggressive traction tread tires on it, and it never got stuck in snow. The interior heat in winter was terrible, of course, with the air-cooled engine. We had to finally get a gasoline heater put in it, but routed it's output into the vehicle's heat & defroster vents, instead of just into the cabin as was usually done. That lowered the mileage a tad in winter. After some more years, it had a lot of trouble with rust, and then started burning oil. But it was great fun those first several years. It never had that no-go problem when the accelerator was pressed.
08-14-2018, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #4424
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
We had 1977 VW (bus) Station Wagon It zipped around quite handily.

I don't know what model would be called a VW "mini-van"; that term hadn't been invented then. Whatever vehicle it was, if you pressed on the accelerator and little or nothing happened, it was obviously in serious need of some kind of repair or maintenance. Maybe it needed something replaced in the fuel system. Or if it had a carburetor, perhaps the choke wasn't operating properly.

The VW "bus" as it was called back then, had an engine that was pretty anemic when new, but was far past its useful life. It was owned by a fellow graduate student, and her father was scheduled to replace the engine entirely as efforts to get more pep from it had failed utterly. The only other car I can think of that approached it as a "dreadful drive" was a Nash Rambler wagon perhaps of early 50's vintage (?) that belonged to a fellow undergrad when I was at Berkeley. Aside from looking more like a refrigerator that had fallen on it's flat side, it had a vacuum-operated windshield wiper. The vacuum dropped when the accelerator was pressed, and consequently, when pulling out from a stop sign during a downpour, the wipers would actually stop moving so as you entered the intersection, you could barely see anything except the water on the glass. Not too bad if you were going straight across, but if you were making a left turn, it was extremely difficult to make out the lane of the side street you wanted enter. Criminally atrocious design.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-14-2018 at 09:46 AM.
08-14-2018, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #4425
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sign in Wallowa, Oregon. I found the color combo particularly eye catching. Unfortunately this was on a Sunday so it was closed. Distractions behind the sign forced the tight crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo