Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5205 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2019, 03:49 AM   #4756
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Has the reservoir been tested for mercury levels?
Quabbin is the major water source for Boston and some 47 small towns between the reservoir and that city. Although I don't have exact data, I suspect that the water is tested at multiple locations multiple times per year. It has been said flippantly, but with some truth, that when it comes to soluble toxic material "the solution is dilution." Quabbin reservoir is very large, over 400 billion gallons, and mercury, although more soluble than many metallic substances, is not highly miscible with water. The EPA determined permissible mercury level in drinking water is two parts per billion. If you do the math, even if the mercury dump exists, it would have to contain an enormous amount from a local small-town hat maker before it could cause red flag pollution to the reservoir.

04-06-2019, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #4757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Quabbin is the major water source for Boston and some 47 small towns between the reservoir and that city. Although I don't have exact data, I suspect that the water is tested at multiple locations multiple times per year. It has been said flippantly, but with some truth, that when it comes to soluble toxic material "the solution is dilution." Quabbin reservoir is very large, over 400 billion gallons, and mercury, although more soluble than many metallic substances, is not highly miscible with water. The EPA determined permissible mercury level in drinking water is two parts per billion. If you do the math, even if the mercury dump exists, it would have to contain an enormous amount from a local small-town hat maker before it could cause red flag pollution to the reservoir.
Not to minimize the risks in any way, but I suspect that I might have gotten a bigger dose of mercury from any one of these three things:
-- touching the mercury from a broken thermometer when I was a kid,
-- breathing in my high school chemistry classroom, when my teacher heated an orange compound long enough for some mercury droplets to form on it,
-- breathing downwind of a coal-fired power plant.
04-06-2019, 05:46 AM   #4758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Not to minimize the risks in any way, but I suspect that I might have gotten a bigger dose of mercury from any one of these three things:
-- touching the mercury from a broken thermometer when I was a kid,
-- breathing in my high school chemistry classroom, when my teacher heated an orange compound long enough for some mercury droplets to form on it,
-- breathing downwind of a coal-fired power plant.
Of those potential dangers, the breathing of fumes from a power plant over several years is probably the greatest danger. Mercury is a cumulative poison in organisms. Once it's in, there's no biological-physiological way to get it out, so tiny amounts inhaled over a prolonged time will remain in your system. This is why some fish species are monitored regularly for mercury. The amount in the oceans is vanishingly small, algae collect more, the tiny invertebrates collected from hundreds of algae, small fish concentration from thousands of invertebrates, larger fish from thousands of smaller fish. When to get to a big tuna, the mercury concentration can be frighteningly higher than it is in sea water.
04-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #4759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of those potential dangers, the breathing of fumes from a power plant over several years is probably the greatest danger. Mercury is a cumulative poison in organisms. Once it's in, there's no biological-physiological way to get it out, so tiny amounts inhaled over a prolonged time will remain in your system. This is why some fish species are monitored regularly for mercury. The amount in the oceans is vanishingly small, algae collect more, the tiny invertebrates collected from hundreds of algae, small fish concentration from thousands of invertebrates, larger fish from thousands of smaller fish. When to get to a big tuna, the mercury concentration can be frighteningly higher than it is in sea water.
Yes, to avoid the concentration levels in top predators it is better to eat lower on the food chain. I'm thinking of a nice algae sandwich for lunch today!

04-06-2019, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #4760
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And then there are the side effects of coffee; coffee containing caffeine can cause insomnia, nervousness and restlessness, stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, increased heart and breathing rate, and other side effects. But, I love having a couple of cups every morning! And unlike mercury, the effects do not linger; however I seem to keep coming back for more.
Anyway, here's a coffee sign.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #4761
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
And then there are the side effects of coffee; coffee containing caffeine can cause insomnia, nervousness and restlessness, stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, increased heart and breathing rate, and other side effects. But, I love having a couple of cups every morning! And unlike mercury, the effects do not linger; however I seem to keep coming back for more.
Anyway, here's a coffee sign.

Coffee is something people have worked very hard to find evidence that it is bad for you, and failed. I had a small kidney stone, the common type made of calcium oxalate. The urologist advised me to go on a low oxalate diet and queried particularly whether I drank coffee, and urged me to switch to herbal tea (his favorite drink). Turns that that a recent long-term study of people who had had kidney stones found that the coffee drinkers among them had a 10% reduction in recurrence when corrected for other factors. BTW: Oxalate is generated biologically only in plants, and is present in huge variety of fruits & vegetables that are supposed to be good for you including all forms of berries, citrus fruits, all forms of beans, carrots, celery, spinach, kale, lettuce, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, radish, beets, all forms of potatoes, sweet potatoes, chocolate (), the list goes on and on.
04-06-2019, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #4762
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Coffee is something people have worked very hard to find evidence that it is bad for you, and failed. I had a small kidney stone, the common type made of calcium oxalate. The urologist advised me to go on a low oxalate diet and queried particularly whether I drank coffee, and urged me to switch to herbal tea (his favorite drink). Turns that that a recent long-term study of people who had had kidney stones found that the coffee drinkers among them had a 10% reduction in recurrence when corrected for other factors. BTW: Oxalate is generated biologically only in plants, and is present in huge variety of fruits & vegetables that are supposed to be good for you including all forms of berries, citrus fruits, all forms of beans, carrots, celery, spinach, kale, lettuce, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, radish, beets, all forms of potatoes, sweet potatoes, chocolate (), the list goes on and on.
A guy just can't win.

Exercise, eat right, don't eat too much, except have plenty of all that stuff you mention, if you do consume alcohol or other stuff, do so in strict moderation, don't smoke.

Die anyway.

04-06-2019, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #4763
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A guy just can't win.

Exercise, eat right, don't eat too much, except have plenty of all that stuff you mention, if you do consume alcohol or other stuff, do so in strict moderation, don't smoke.

Die anyway.
which is why i ignore it all

04-06-2019, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #4764
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A guy just can't win.

Die anyway.
Well, if you survive life, lemme know!
04-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #4765
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With all the money we give the government, they should long since have developed a pill for aging, but they only thing they've been really good at is developing ways to end life sooner.
04-07-2019, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #4766
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Well, if you survive life, lemme know!
So far...(sorta)...
04-07-2019, 05:46 AM   #4767
Pentaxian

Coffee is something people have worked very hard to find evidence that it is bad for you, and failed. I had a small kidney stone, the common type made of calcium oxalate. The urologist advised me to go on a low oxalate diet and queried particularly whether I drank coffee, and urged me to switch to herbal tea (his favorite drink).
Unfortunately, most doctors are just as bad at practicing gimmick medicine as Nauturaopaths and Herbalists.
04-07-2019, 05:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is truth in the tiresome "everything in moderation," but that doesn't apply to the basic food groups = sugar, salt, grease, artificial ingredients, garlic, chocolate, and caffeine. Always get your MDR and then some.
04-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #4769
Pentaxian

With all the money we give the government, they should long since have developed a pill for aging, but they only thing they've been really good at is developing ways to end life sooner.
Yes - also - they're really good at keeping you sick enough to need chemicals that cost an arm and a leg. They don't cure you, yet don't let you die.
04-07-2019, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #4770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every day it's just breathe, breathe, breathe....

And take pictures if you can