Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #17386
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Some monos produced from today's lunchtime walk
K-3ii with FA 31mm Limited
Good stuff! Love that first one - I like trying to shoot indigent/people living in the street. Not for fun, but because it is very powerful. I see them and realize I am very lucky, even though they might be happier than me in actuality.

03-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #17387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice work, Charlie. How's that 31 working out for you?

DA18-55 on *ist D:
Loving it...thanks Paul
03-28-2019, 05:34 PM - 4 Likes   #17388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Good stuff! Love that first one - I like trying to shoot indigent/people living in the street. Not for fun, but because it is very powerful. I see them and realize I am very lucky, even though they might be happier than me in actuality.
Thanks Ed. I asked this guys permission before I took his picture and then had a nice chat with him about his dogs. And I gave him $5; for the dogs of course.
03-28-2019, 05:55 PM - 7 Likes   #17389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Experiments with a single OCF, in a room with tons of ambient light (middle of a sunny afternoon), "Low Key" technique. K3ii + 18-135 WR:

This one was an experiment using just natural light, no flash. B&W compliments of Nik SilverFX:

This one was the most challenging! Tons of sunshine into my dining room, a black oil lamp, lit, on the dining room table. One OCF on a tripod.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 06:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
DA16-85WR
Nice shot! This one held my attention for an usually long amount of time. Where was this?

03-29-2019, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #17390
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
Nice shot! This one held my attention for an usually long amount of time. Where was this?
Thanks,it's off the west coast of Norway.
03-29-2019, 01:40 AM - 4 Likes   #17391
Pentaxian

Tropical squall over the northern Gulf of Carpentaria. K3 DA21 Silver Effex

03-29-2019, 02:02 AM   #17392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Tropical squall over the northern Gulf of Carpentaria. K3 DA21 Silver Effex
Nice PP with Silver Efex, Arjay. You've had a fair bit of rain up your way lately. That's probably an understatement.

03-29-2019, 02:21 AM   #17393
Pentaxian

Hi Ray - thank you for the comment, yep we've had rain almost every day since late November - one of the best 'wets' in living memory. But this squall was like that image - so dark with a patch of sun on the pergola and out to sea a bit. Very striking!
03-29-2019, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #17394
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote

w/ GR III
Fantastic...I do love B&W when trekking in the mountains. Back in the film days.....
03-29-2019, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #17395
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
Experiments with a single OCF, in a room with tons of ambient light (middle of a sunny afternoon), "Low Key" technique. K3ii + 18-135 WR:

This one was an experiment using just natural light, no flash. B&W compliments of Nik SilverFX:

This one was the most challenging! Tons of sunshine into my dining room, a black oil lamp, lit, on the dining room table. One OCF on a tripod.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 06:22 PM ----------

Cool shots! Actually, my profile picture is one of my first and only experiments with OCF. The next rainy day I should do this again.
03-29-2019, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #17396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
+1. I often wonder about their story, because it could be very interesting. But I am not sure how to ask, "so how did you become poor and homeless" I'm sure there is a way to engage people in conversation and get them to talk about themselves, but that is not one of my gifts.
03-29-2019, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #17397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
+1. I often wonder about their story, because it could be very interesting. But I am not sure how to ask, "so how did you become poor and homeless" I'm sure there is a way to engage people in conversation and get them to talk about themselves, but that is not one of my gifts.
I have spoken to a few but I usually do not barge right in and ask them how they ended up on the street. Like the guy yesterday, I simply asked him about his dogs that he obviously loved and then I could not shut him up.
03-29-2019, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #17398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Homelessness

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote

My best friend is a social activist who advocates for the homeless, the mentally ill, those with addictions and animal rights and rescue. Mental illness and Addiction often go hand in hand with homelessness but not always.

In Louisville the city is in the process of evicting residents of the most visible homeless camp downtown because of the Kentucky Derby Festival. Out of sight, out of mind. In addition to that, because of a huge budget shortfall many organizations that provide shelter and support will lose funding. I do not have an answer.

I have had opportunities to accompany Tara Bassett and members of homeless outreach organizations to shelters, public awareness rallies and ad hoc camps to provide still photographs in support of her social media outlets. Thanks to her, I had the opportunity to do the photography for her 10 page article on homelessness in a local glossy mag. They used 8 of my photos in the article including a full page portrait and a two page full bleed spread. I was pleased and depressed at the same time.

I have several hundred photographs taken at camps, shelters, and on the streets that do not have a single appropriate place to post here. Eventually they will Go into a Flickr album but not soon.

The difference between traditional street photography like above and what I’ve done is, I’ve always been accompanied by my activist friend and outreach people. They tend to draw attention away from the man with the camera. In addition to that, I often use less conspicuous gear like a K-01 with a prime lens or recently Q7s, instead of my dog park rig of a K-3II with Battery grip and a 16-85.

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 03-29-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: There, but for the grace of God, go I.
03-29-2019, 07:34 AM - 4 Likes   #17399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another problem that confronts many homeless people is they are unaware of all the organizations and services that could provide help due information isolation or due to their mental illness or addiction, are incapable of initiating the help process.

I was going to tell a true story but it’d take up way too time. I’ll ask that any reader of this niche post, in a niche thread, in a niche website contact a homeless out reach organization in your town and do something. I’ve donated old but clean blue jeans, outerwear, six packs of dollar store tube socks. The smallest kindness can make a diference.
03-29-2019, 08:36 AM - 4 Likes   #17400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Another problem that confronts many homeless people is they are unaware of all the organizations and services that could provide help due information isolation or due to their mental illness or addiction, are incapable of initiating the help process.

I was going to tell a true story but it’d take up way too time. I’ll ask that any reader of this niche post, in a niche thread, in a niche website contact a homeless out reach organization in your town and do something. I’ve donated old but clean blue jeans, outerwear, six packs of dollar store tube socks. The smallest kindness can make a diference.
It used to be that homelessness in Toronto would be people with mental health and/or addiction issues, lately though there are large numbers of homeless driven there by massive rents and being renovicted so landlords could make an Airbnb. it is a huge issue here that has impacted many, living in the core I deal with it daily, I talk with homeless guys regularly and many fit the old model but increasingly when I talk with friends who work in the shelters I here the other side. I know people living in cars in Toronto who lost their apartments and couldn't afford the massive increase but need to stay here for their work. affordability isn't the only issue, the sheer lack of available units is a huge problem. but condo towers are full of shadow hotels owned by corporations who operate condos as airbnb units ...but don't contribute back to the community the way hotels due through employment and taxes structures. ( I will add I myself went through a homeless phase at 20, I spent a winter on the street...still employed but struggling to get by... resolved it and was in a great loft only to lose it because the guy we sublet the space from didn't pay the landlord (who happened to be mafia....and it was classed commercial space as many artist lofts were back then) we had to kick a wall down to retrieve our possessions ....fortunately I had another place to move at that point as I was dating the woman who later became Mrs Eddie, one of the other guys ended back on the street for a few months while he recovered the funds needed to get a loft space