Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #10021
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarity Quote
I think this thread is absolutely incredible, a lot of stunning images.
But I can't help but notice too many folks damaging their beautiful photo's by over-sharpening; i.e. using to much artificial sharpening. That creates harsh/ugly fringes and artifacts. It might be when exporting or scaling photoshop/lightroom is set to 'bicubic sharpening' and over-sharpen the picture that way. Please keep in mind that artificial sharpening is basically a local, edge detection contrast boost and clarity is a high radius sharpening. Combining a lot of 'clarity', with contrast might be a little bit too much.
Photoshop users I suggest to use 'smart sharpening', use 'remove lens blur' for better effect (it's a newer algorithm than the more commonly used 'unsharp mask'). Also consider fading the highlights when using smart-sharpen using the 'advanced mode' as explained in this video, that gets rid of fringing as well.
I hope I don't sound overly critically its meant constructively/positively.

Ah een fietspomp
Speaking of over sharpening, when I upload on flickr it seem too sharpen my pictures a lot. I dont have that problem with 500px or PPG

08-28-2015, 03:04 AM   #10022
Forum Member

I don't get the same sharpening problems unless I use the tool from Flickr itself. I upload from within Lightroom using the Flickr Plugin. So I am controlling the end result.
There are other plugins you can use that give even more control.
This site will down-sample pictures when you load them. I notice that they don't always come out great as a result. So if you can upload a file from your PC that is already in the correct dimensions, the uploader doesn't have to amend it, and you will hopefully end up with a decent result.
08-28-2015, 03:25 AM - 8 Likes   #10023
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarity Quote
I think this thread is absolutely incredible, a lot of stunning images.
But I can't help but notice too many folks damaging their beautiful photo's by over-sharpening; i.e. using to much artificial sharpening. That creates harsh/ugly fringes and artifacts. It might be when exporting or scaling photoshop/lightroom is set to 'bicubic sharpening' and over-sharpen the picture that way. Please keep in mind that artificial sharpening is basically a local, edge detection contrast boost and clarity is a high radius sharpening. Combining a lot of 'clarity', with contrast might be a little bit too much.
Photoshop users I suggest to use 'smart sharpening', use 'remove lens blur' for better effect (it's a newer algorithm than the more commonly used 'unsharp mask'). Also consider fading the highlights when using smart-sharpen using the 'advanced mode' as explained in this video, that gets rid of fringing as well.
I hope I don't sound overly critically its meant constructively/positively.

Ah een fietspomp
It is probably a question of whether or not you see the sharpening artifacts or the HDR halos or things like that. I think a lot of people just don't really see them when they are editing. I created an adjustment brush in Lightroom that knocks clarity down by 10 and decreases highlights a little and it is quite effective at getting rid of halos on edges of things, but certainly the best thing is just not to be too aggressive in the first place.

Barn and Tree.

08-28-2015, 07:20 AM - 3 Likes   #10024
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

08-28-2015, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #10025
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cow versus Tree
08-28-2015, 05:45 PM - 4 Likes   #10026
Pentaxian

08-28-2015, 08:57 PM - 8 Likes   #10027
Veteran Member

Finally got all my pentax "K" lenses silvered by "Dcshooter".... K30/2.8, K50/1.2 and K85/1.8. Life is good.

Manual Kit.jpg
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

08-28-2015, 10:53 PM - 12 Likes   #10028
Veteran Member

Shadow and Light

A cactus wrapped in shadow and light ...

08-29-2015, 02:55 AM - 6 Likes   #10029
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunrise.

08-29-2015, 03:02 AM   #10030
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sunrise.

Hi Vincent,

This is so pleasing in a very understated way. Do you use Lightroom or Photoshop? I cannot come close to this and your other monochromes using Elements 8.

Regards,

Charlie
08-29-2015, 05:32 AM   #10031
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
That's really nice!
08-29-2015, 05:55 AM   #10032
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Vincent,

This is so pleasing in a very understated way. Do you use Lightroom or Photoshop? I cannot come close to this and your other monochromes using Elements 8.

Regards,

Charlie
I use a combination of Lightroom 5 and Silver Efex from nik effects. In this photo, I bumped shadows and exposure and then used an adjustment brush on the sky to bring down the highlights in Lightroom. Then I brought the image over to Silver Efex and applied the fine art preset to it and I think that was it.

Elements is OK, but it is a little bit of a crude tool for working with RAW images -- I used to use for RAW development and I found it better for working with jpegs.
08-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #10033
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

08-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #10034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice!
08-29-2015, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #10035
Pentaxian

Just for fun ... this goofing around in Lr4. Really need to get more serious with my post in B&W ...