10-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
10-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
Hands Georg's camera a banana...
It's a jungle out there but not that much a jungle. OTOH in many ways this city is run like a banana republic .-)

10-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #233
Veteran Member

shadow stripes
10-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #234
Pentaxian

Gettysburg door.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-05-2010 at 10:04 AM.
10-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #235
Veteran Member

10-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Javier, I like that photo better than any 50 of your random street shots.

EDIT: That might sound harsher than I mean it to. I just think you can be a lot more selective about which "cute chick" shots you post and come across as a much better photographer... which you seem to be!

EDIT AGAIN: OK, so I can't find a good way to say this.

Last edited by rparmar; 10-17-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: inability to convey what I really mean
10-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Javier, I like that photo better than any 50 of your random street shots.

EDIT: That might sound harsher than I mean it to. I just think you can be a lot more selective about which "cute chick" shots you post and come across as a much better photographer... which you seem to be!

EDIT AGAIN: OK, so I can't find a good way to say this.
Robin. To be honest, I do not consider my self a photographer. Never have and never will. I am 100% happy with my snap shots and shoot for myself. While you may not like them, there are many who do and many more who really don't care for them. Either way, I really don't care....The same can be said of your images. There is nothing really special about most of them. For most of your images it is a matter of finding some door or window to shoot and by the time you have done your PP that is usually over sharpened and over saturated, it is no longer a photograph anyway. Of course that is how ''I'' see it and I am sure many will feel the exact opposite. But don't kid your self and think you are more of a photographer than you really are.. Me, I am happy with being a snap shooter.
10-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
The same can be said of your images. There is nothing really special about most of them. For most of your images it is a matter of finding some door or window to shoot and by the time you have done your PP that is usually over sharpened and over saturated, it is no longer a photograph anyway.
I guess you are used to being fed a diet of nothing but platitudes. That's not how anyone grows so thank God I have people to critique my stuff with more honesty. I am always looking for more critics and so welcome your feedback despite the obvious hostility. But I must correct you on a couple of factual points.

All digital images need sharpening and I generally only apply the smallest amount needed. And I do not as a rule pump colour, so what you see is what was shot. If you think the images are saturated it's because that's how I find them. There are also times I do stuff for effect, if it suits the subject. If you'd like to point out some specific images you think are over-hyped, I would love to see them. My earlier PP work was poorer than what I do now, largely due to a weak monitor, so maybe I can go back and make them better.

Saying something is "no longer a photograph" is a cop out. I guess film that clips highlights and adds grain means the shot is no longer a photograph? I guess Kodachrome that adds orange to everything means the shot is no longer a photograph? I guess Zeiss lenses and their cold cast cannot take photographs? Give me a break! Most of my shots have less PP than one or another of those effects would add.

On top of that I have a few standard workflows that involve significantly more processing, I would not deny it. But nothing as extreme as certain classic darkroom techniques admired the world over.

I am 100% happy with my snap shots and shoot for myself.
Who are you kidding? You wouldn't post the images here and there on the internet if you were shooting them only for yourself. I too shoot snapshots but don't imagine anyone else would want to see them, so I keep them on Flickr and tell the subjects and interested parties to find them there. I do not post them all in various threads on this or other forums. I save that for shots I think people might, for one reason or another, take an interest in. I presume you post for the same reason -- to share with those who may be interested.

There is nothing really special about most of them. For most of your images it is a matter of finding some door or window to shoot
Or person or animal or street or landscape or insect or flower or architectural detail or... Yep, you are right, it is a matter of finding a worthy subject. Not such an easy task most days.

But don't kid your self and think you are more of a photographer than you really are.. Me, I am happy with being a snap shooter.
I know exactly how much of a photographer I am. I know my strengths and am hyper-aware of my limitations, which is why I am not standing still, but rather have gone from nothing to where I am now in three years.

If you can hold yourself back from making wrong-headed assumptions about my character and intent, your comments and criticism are welcome on any photo I post.
10-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #239
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK here let's play nice... Glad you 2 are talking hope you both listen. All is illusion...
10-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
OK here let's play nice... Glad you 2 are talking hope you both listen. All is illusion...
Mark, I was not going to say anything but frankly, I am tired of people like him putting down what the majority of folks here are in my opinion. People who love to shoot pictures and share what they saw. Personally, I love looking at everyday things...Life in general

I personally believe the contributors are few in these theme threads because there are a few people here who are plain rude. People who critique with out the constructive part. I believe many folks are afraid of showing their pictures for that reason.

Personally, I will not criticize a picture with out offering a way that ''i'' feel will make it better. Now I am not saying that my way is right because it may not be. It will only be the way I like it. We all see pictures differently. I often will like a picture that others will not and visa versa.

However, I believe we do the photographer or in my case a snap shooter a great injustice when we see things that are obvious mistakes like chopped limbs or a total disregard for the rule of thirds in everything and not say something. Most people and myself included would appreciate constructive criticism. But that does not happen here very often. People get criticized and they leave because their is no constructive part...I have taken to PM to offer suggestions and find that to be most pleasant.

This is just my own observation.