Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #1

Pentax musings in Burlington, Ontario, Canada...

Greetings my fellow Pentaxians!

After 21 years of dedicated K1000 use, I have joined the new world order and purchased a delightful K10D.

Why Pentax? To list a few…
  • Because my K1000's (both of them) have not let me down – hence brand loyalty.
  • Because in the myriad of marketing and techno hype, the K10D hits the mark as a serious, pro, leave-the-rest-behind, DSLR.
  • Because I appreciate Pentax engineering the image stabilization in the camera body, instead of in each lens – hence keeping lens prices down.
  • Because of backward compatibility with all my old glass, I am not forced to buy a whole new suite of lenses right away.
Why now?
I have been waiting for the marketplace to settle a bit – if that is at all possible, whilst balancing impending old age, LOL, before taking the plunge. I was quite frustrated with the fast and furious product releases from C&N. Pentax has put thought into its products and product releases. The post by Katsura on 03-12-2007 about the PMA Pentax Interview confirmed this – confirmed that Pentax is the right choice.

And so far…
I have only purchased the DA fisheye, but expect to add the DA* zooms in the next year. In the past two months I have struggled with focusing using my old manual focus lenses. I tried the LI-80 Scale Matte focusing screen but it didn’t provide any advantage over the stock screen. Then (based on another post) I purchased the Katz Eye split image focusing screen. Wow – what a difference! It feels like the good ol’ days with the K1000. Predictable, precise, and reproducible focus. It has been interesting to observe how the camera’s focus indicator correlates to the split image focus. In many cases the focus indicator is very good. But in low light situations, or for macro photography, or with the aperture wide open, the split image focus makes all the difference.

Anyway, this is my intro from the Toronto suburb of Burlington. I look forward to sharing & dialoging with you here at PentaxForums.com…

Last edited by WaterDog; 07-27-2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typo & clarification
07-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings from the opposite end of the county...shooting with Pentax in the Hills. Welcome Arthur. Al