Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Howdy from Texas!

So glad To have heard about this forum, so now it's time to stop lurking and make it official.

A little about me. I'm a Pentax SLR user from 20 years ago, but shelved it when the world went digital. Now I'm back with my recently purchased k-x, and loving every single minute of it. (Well, except for the rare chromatic aberration, lol.) I love the challenge of shooting wide open with manual focus, but I'm wondering if my eyes are just not up to the task, now that they are pushing 40. Still, it's fun. I decided to make a focused effort to improve my snapshot photography so that my scrapbooks would really shine. Now that my photos are better, I don't have the time to scrapbook - all I want to do is take portraits!

Thanks for making this such a great site!

05-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

I have been manually-focusing only for a month or so thanks to getting an old 800mm f8-32 bazooka and a 500mm mirror. Both are fun, but both have a low keeper count due to focusing error on my part...
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us.
05-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hey, thanks!

SpecialK, you and I are singing the same story. My troubles are compounded by some hand instability, as well as the eyes. I'm working on holding my camera better to help that. It's a pita when you've become accustomed to those featherlite PASs.

Last edited by kmwsbabe; 05-14-2010 at 10:03 PM.
05-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Fortunately we have AF to fall back on. One thing that really helped me out was getting one of the many after-market split-prism focusing screens (I have a Katz-eye). They're rather pricey but for me they've been well worth it.

Welcome and we look forward to seeing your shots on the forum.
05-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Oooooh Mel, thanks bunches for that info! Dh has been looking at those (we had one built in on our old school Pentaxes). I can imagine it would certainly be helpful!
05-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome in & we look forward to seeing some of your portraits.