Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Hello from California

Hello everyone! I just joined here last night and have been reading many posts; I appreciate that you all are here.

Short intro: I'm a real newbie. Used to shoot many years ago with a Nikon SLR that had auto and manual modes; gave it up due to the expense of film and processing after using my camera for about two years, so I never learned a whole lot, but still managed to get some decent shots with it.

Fast forward about thirty years and I've been searching for a new hobby, remember my old Nikon and decide to look into getting a DSLR. Read a bunch of reviews and purchased the Pentax k-x a few weeks ago. Still working out how to get it to do what I want and I'll be looking for some advice over the next few weeks on lenses, tripods, and technique. My main interest is nature photography, and I like to frame unusual shots, sometimes with extreme close-ups of small things, like insects.

So there you have it. A real newbie, and very glad to be here.

05-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by laura Quote
Hello everyone! I just joined here last night and have been reading many posts; I appreciate that you all are here.

Short intro: I'm a real newbie. Used to shoot many years ago with a Nikon SLR that had auto and manual modes; gave it up due to the expense of film and processing after using my camera for about two years, so I never learned a whole lot, but still managed to get some decent shots with it.

Fast forward about thirty years and I've been searching for a new hobby, remember my old Nikon and decide to look into getting a DSLR. Read a bunch of reviews and purchased the Pentax k-x a few weeks ago. Still working out how to get it to do what I want and I'll be looking for some advice over the next few weeks on lenses, tripods, and technique. My main interest is nature photography, and I like to frame unusual shots, sometimes with extreme close-ups of small things, like insects.

So there you have it. A real newbie, and very glad to be here.

Hi, there.

I am also from California! Welcome to the forum. I am sure that you will find much of what you are looking for. Many members here are just outstanding, and this is really a good knowledge base for sure.
05-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome! I forgot to add that I've been working with digital graphics and image manipulation for the past 11 years, mainly in Photoshop, so I won't have such a steep learning curve in the processing area. However, my goal for now is to create photos that require as little processing as possible.
05-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us, please enjoy your stay.

05-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, Laura! I'm betting you'll enjoy the forum. Lots of very helpful, pleasant folks here. Like you, I love nature photography and am always looking for unusual ways to show the usual. And like you, I once was an avid film photographer (Nikon Fm, then an Olympus OM-1) but had to pretty much give it up due to the cost of film. Discovering digital a couple years back really encouraged me and I'll never go back to the tyranny of film.

I love California, and look forward to seeing your photos. Please consider posting regularly to the weekly "Photo of the Week" over in "Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories" -- nothing special, just photos from the period stipulated in the posts. It's fun to see what others are up to in their part of the world.
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks; I just posted a picture there. I know I have a lot to learn, but am very eager to do so. I've only been in California for a few years but, aside from the bankrupt state government, it's not a bad place to be. Lots of interesting things to shoot here.
05-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by laura Quote
Thanks; I just posted a picture there. I know I have a lot to learn, but am very eager to do so. I've only been in California for a few years but, aside from the bankrupt state government, it's not a bad place to be. Lots of interesting things to shoot here.
Just saw and commented on your photo, Laura. Lovely! I'm betting you'll pick up on digital very quickly, especially with so many appealing subjects to draw the eye.