Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #1

Not quite a Pentaxian yet

Hi. I've posted in a couple of threads, and even bought a teleconverter here, but I haven't introduced myself yet, and I supposed I should.

Thus far I've shot Canon manual-focus equipment that's nearly as old as I am. I started with a TLb, which is closely equivalent to the K1000. Since Canon hasn't been as good as Pentax about maintaining backwards compatibility, I was able to obtain some good lenses dirt cheap, even while I was an astrophysics grad student.

During that period, I helped characterize a new CCD camera at a major observatory (48 megapixels in 1999--woot!), did a great deal of scientific image processing, and taught some optics labs. So I'm something of a geek and enjoy thinking about things like improvements to Bayer matrix demosaicing. I now work for a non-profit R&D firm.

I'm planning to get a K10D for my anniversarbirthchristmasday, probably in September. My main photographic interests are birds and landscapes. If I've figured out the attachment procedure, you can see a few of my personal favorite shots.

Attached Images

08-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the colors in your images!

Syb
08-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like them all, in different ways. Very different, a bit funny and good captures. The last one is a bit grey here but maybe that is intentional (I'm not sure about the message if there is anything else but a fun act).

The FD system... yeah, I liked it and used it for several years. But in the end one has to admit that changing the mount was a clever thing by Canon. Now they and Olympus are the two cameras that can use a lot of lenses.

Looking forward to September I guess?!

regards,
08-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
mph

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
I like the colors in your images!
Thanks! The second one was on Mauna Kea, Hawai'i, at over 14,000 feet (4,250+ metres), and the sky really is that blue at that elevation. It seemed unreal.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B:
I like them all, in different ways. Very different, a bit funny and good captures. The last one is a bit grey here but maybe that is intentional (I'm not sure about the message if there is anything else but a fun act).
Yeah, that's a fair point about the last one. There are true blacks and whites, I think, but most of the scene is mid-tones and could probably use some punching up with the curves tool. The piece was an assignment for a class, and I made a decent 11x14 print of it for class, but I confess that this file is the result of less than 5 minutes' work on a straight negative scan. I should dig out my prints sometime and try to match them a bit better.

The assignment for that image was something like "mediocre superheroes", so I created "The Human Chameleon".

I am indeed looking forward to September! I get zoom lenses(!), autofocus, digital, and shake reduction all for the first time (in an SLR). Should be exciting.