Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi from NZ

Howdy all
I am a wannabe Kx or K7 user. Previous cameras include Minolta SRT 101, Canon new F1 (tank), Panasonic KZ7 and about to jump into DSLR.
I Like to travel, hike, ski, climb with camera, hence size and weight are factors. Also like to take landscape, street and sports type pictures eg ski-racing.
Originally considered Canikons for AF Speed but put off by bulk. I Really like the idea of Kx kit for travel and found a Sigma APO 100-300 f4 (non DG) which seems to have the fast AF (as per the Utube video) and IQ I want for sports but I could leave its1400g behind for travel.
Q 1. would the Sigma work well on the Kx considering the bulk difference?
Q2. Should I go the whole hog and get the K7 kit? In NZ there is equivalent of US $600 or more in price and I would rather spend that on more glass or travel unless:
a) the Kx really won't like the odd bit of damp
b) the AF speed is better on the K7

That is a lot for an intro I realise but I have spent a long time searching forums without finding definitive answers to these

05-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Kiwi.
I can't see there being any problem with the K-x and Sigma 100-300 combination - a few users here have shown the pair to produce great results.
There are many discussions on this forum comparing the K-7 and K-x - do a search and see the differences that are pertinent to your needs.
05-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Kiwi.
05-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pity about NZ pricing. The wholesaler is greedy.
Buy from Aussie and more than pay the airfare out of the difference .
And get a genuine Pentax International warranty unlike Electron world and their ilk.

My daughter has a K-x and had a lot of fun with my sigma 70-300.
Good light camera for getting out and about.
With the DA40 ltd, it is so pocketable.
Pete

05-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greetings from across the ditch. I don't see any real reason the K-x & Sigma 100-300mm wouldn't be a good pairing. The largest/heaviest lens I have is the DA* 50-135mm which is only about half the size of the Sigma but have no problems with it. For hiking & skiing I'd be considering the K-7 (particularly with the NZ weather). I haven't seriously tested the K-x's cold/wet weather abilities but I'd be nervous about taking into these sorts of conditions. For travel though, it's size & weight is great - particularly paired with DA Limited lenses.
05-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome Kiwi from another Kiwi!
I am currently in Oz though originally from Wellington.
I too am jumping on the Pentax band wagon soon. My Camera will be a K7. I am coming from an Olympus Superzoom and got turned onto DSLR when I used to work at Sony Style in Auckland. I was close to pulling the trigger on a A550 then found out about K7 (higher features than an A700 but better $).
Enjoy your time here, there is a Kiwi group here too if you haven't found it already.
05-31-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
G'day & welcome in Kiwi. Good luck with your decision.

05-31-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank GB
I would be nervous with Kx in the weather too. It would be good to hear from anyone who has wet their Kx, so to speak, and how it stood up.
05-31-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for the welcome and advice.
Transit - does this mean going to Aus to purchase is better than PI and or on TM?
where would you purchase?
I might ask this on the Kiwi group!