Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
I am curious as to where you bought your 16-50 Lens?
I am asking for the reasoning as I hear places like amazon.com are selling bad copies, bhphotovideo. com has had a few bad copies
I bought mine through Amazon last July. Actually I think whichever seller it was was trying to clear out its inventory at the time, as the lens I bought was being sold for just over $600. If anything, this makes it sound more dubious than it would be if you bought from a B&H or other reliable vendor, but I guess I've lucked out so far.

06-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Also, Amazon doesn't sell anything--they represent thousands of resellers--so that's kind of a non-starter there.
That is absolutely not true. Amazon does actually warehouse and sell countless thousands of different products directly. Yes, they also serve as a middleman for third-party sellers in a variety of ways, from simply providing a listing and payment service to actually fulfilling orders using their warehouses and shipping. In that latter case, the third-party sellers will send whole pallets of their goods to Amazon to handle the distribution of the individual items. That way, the sellers can keep shipping costs down by relying on Amazon's logistics...or it could be that those marketplace sellers don't have the infrastructure to handle high-volume shipping at any price. These purchases are clearly identified as "Fulfilled by Amazon", as opposed to "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com"

But in all cases, you know whether you're buying something directly from Amazon.com or from someone else. And rest assured, Amazon is directly selling millions of items a year...(just to my doorstep alone, or so it sometimes seems).
06-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
That is absolutely not true. Amazon does actually warehouse and sell countless thousands of different products directly. Yes, they also serve as a middleman for third-party sellers in a variety of ways, from simply providing a listing and payment service to actually fulfilling orders using their warehouses and shipping. In that latter case, the third-party sellers will send whole pallets of their goods to Amazon to handle the distribution of the individual items. That way, the sellers can keep shipping costs down by relying on Amazon's logistics...or it could be that those marketplace sellers don't have the infrastructure to handle high-volume shipping at any price. These purchases are clearly identified as "Fulfilled by Amazon", as opposed to "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com"

But in all cases, you know whether you're buying something directly from Amazon.com or from someone else. And rest assured, Amazon is directly selling millions of items a year...(just to my doorstep alone, or so it sometimes seems).
I stand corrected, but of the 10 items total that I've bought from Amazon in my life, all 10 were bought from other sellers.
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Bad in what way? And where did you hear this one from?

Also, Amazon doesn't sell anything--they represent thousands of resellers--so that's kind of a non-starter there.

Thousands of Reseller's! NOW we're getting somewhere!!! People selling their non working lens right back out there so some else can buy the same non working lens

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:26 PM.
06-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Not to derail the discussion of the DA*16-50, but I would 2nd (or fifth, I think now) purchasing the DA 55-300 over the DA 50-200. I've never owned the 55-300, however did own the 50-200 and found it to be quite "ordinary". I've heard wonderful things about the 55-300mm and the only reason I don't own one is that I rarely if ever shoot longer than 77mm.

Welcome back to Pentax...and don't forget to share your pics with us!!

c[_]
06-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #21
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Not to derail the discussion of the DA*16-50, but I would 2nd (or fifth, I think now) purchasing the DA 55-300 over the DA 50-200. I've never owned the 55-300, however did own the 50-200 and found it to be quite "ordinary". I've heard wonderful things about the 55-300mm and the only reason I don't own one is that I rarely if ever shoot longer than 77mm.

Welcome back to Pentax...and don't forget to share your pics with us!!

c[_]

Hey, coffee_ip, Do you mind if i ask a Question?
Do you use K-7 and K-10 in the studio? And do you use a wireless flash or Studio lighs for lighting? And I like your website!
I have fancy to start a Studio myself

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:25 PM.
06-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Thanks for the kind words ....and you can ask as many questions as you like...

My wife and I don't shoot in a studio - everything is on location, and up until recently has all been shot with natural lighting (or bounced flash). I'm just starting to experiment with off camera flash that I'm wirelessly triggering with a Cactus V4 and a Sigma 500 Super flash (nothing fancy). I haven't posted any of this on our blogsite yet though...so what you've seen is all natural light.

I'd love to get a studio up and running and do have an interest in strobe work, but to be honest I haven't really found a need for it for what we shoot and we are fairly busy doing what we do already. I'm wanting/like to take things to the next level on a creativity level, but it always needs to weighed against running the business (and my wife and I having careers as well) - so it's baby steps for us at this point in that regards.

I hope this info helps...

c[_]
06-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
music_lover

I found this Comparison if anyone is interested:

Important Differences

Nikon D90

Pentax K-7

AnnouncedAug 27, 2008vsMay 20, 2009The Pentax K-7 is 8 months newerContinuous Shooting4.5 fpsvs5.2 fpsThe Pentax K-7 shoots 16% fasterSize132 x 103 x 77 mmvs131 x 97 x 73 mmThe Pentax K-7 is about 11% smallerMegapixels12.3 megapixelsvs14.6 megapixelsThe Pentax K-7 takes higher resolution photos by 16%Important Similarities

Nikon D90

Pentax K-7

Movie capabilityHD (720p/24fps)vsHD (720p/30fps)The Pentax K-7 records at a slightly higher frame rateBuilt in FlashYesvsYesBoth cameras have a built in flashFull FrameNovsNoNeither camera has a full frame 35mm sensorLight Sensitivity (Boost)6,400 ISOvs6,400 ISOThey have the same max boost light sensitivityLCD Display3.0", 920k dotsvs3.0", 921k dotsThe Pentax K-7 has a marginally higher resolution screenPrice$850vs$816The best price we've seen for the Pentax K-7 is $33 lessWeight703 gvs750 gThe Nikon D90 weighs 6% less

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:23 PM.
06-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #24
music_lover

And heres a good article comparing images of the Pentax K-7 to it's competitors:

DSLR group test Digital SLR Review

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:22 PM.
06-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

My wife has a D90 and, while it is nice, I can attest that the K-7 is clearly a superior camera (she agrees). The K-7's true competitors were the D300 and 50D. However, refreshes from those competitors (D300s and 7D) have surpassed the K-7. Being a long time Pentax user I've been tempted by the fruits of Canikon but can't stomach their lens costs.

At any rate, just go and buy the K-7 body (skip the kit lens) with a good zoom - I recommend either the DA* 16-50/2.8 / Tamron 17-50/2.8 or DA 17-70/4 / Sigma 24-70/2.8. Or you can spend much more and buy a bunch of primes, run around your subjects, twist various focal lengths on and off your camera, and spend countless hours cropping in PP (I like primes - just added this as flame-bait..).

I had the K-x and was holding out for the K-7 refresh (K-8?) but just had to get the K-7 once it dropped below $850. I am very glad I did. I love the K-7.
06-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #26
Pentaxian

my $0.02

I like my K-7 a lot and I'd be thrilled with the kit you describe. My $0.02:
- All of my lenses are primes which is an occasional pain but I generally prefer. The ones that get the most use are my 24mm, my 50mm and my 135mm.
- Most of these lenses are older manuals (Ks, Ms, and As). They're a pleasure to shoot with (and will be an even greater pleasure when I replace my focusing screen with a split prism) and yield stellar results. If only for the joy and practice involved, I'd get a least one lens like this (maybe a fast 50, like the A 1.4 or 1.7?). For the price of one of those zooms you could add some sweet vintage primes (if that's your thing).
- The one modern AF lens I have is the DA 35 macro. It kicks ass, plain and simple.
- As far as flashes go, I'm totally satisfied with a pair of old Sunpak 383s (got each for around $50) and a cheap version of a Pocket Wizard wireless unit (which was, like $25 or something on ebay). Plenty of power, never had a misfire yet. You need to pay a little more attention to your distances, etc. but again, it's great for learning.
- I have the battery grip too and dig it, both for the balance and the seemingly endless power supply.
06-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #27
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
My wife has a D90 and, while it is nice, I can attest that the K-7 is clearly a superior camera (she agrees). The K-7's true competitors were the D300 and 50D. However, refreshes from those competitors (D300s and 7D) have surpassed the K-7. Being a long time Pentax user I've been tempted by the fruits of Canikon but can't stomach their lens costs.

At any rate, just go and buy the K-7 body (skip the kit lens) with a good zoom - I recommend either the DA* 16-50/2.8 / Tamron 17-50/2.8 or DA 17-70/4 / Sigma 24-70/2.8. Or you can spend much more and buy a bunch of primes, run around your subjects, twist various focal lengths on and off your camera, and spend countless hours cropping in PP (I like primes - just added this as flame-bait..).

I had the K-x and was holding out for the K-7 refresh (K-8?) but just had to get the K-7 once it dropped below $850. I am very glad I did. I love the K-7.
Curious as to where you got your 16-50, as i have been told by others there is problems with this particular lens

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:22 PM.
06-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I don't think in all the discussion about the 16-50, anyone has ever drawn a good correlation between the seller and any SDM problems. If anything it's an issue of old vs. new lenses. Your best bet is to buy somewhere that sells a decent volume so they turn over their stock frequently...that way you're getting a lens of recent manufacture. Your local camera shop may have had the same 16-50 collecting dust since 2007.

I got my two DA* zooms (16-50 and 50-135) from Amazon, and have had no signs of SDM problems with either. Amazon is a high-volume seller, and I'm pretty confident that their stock is always fresh. I would also recommend B&H and Adorama. All three places should be selling newer lenses, and all three stand by their products with excellent return policies.

Again, there's never been a sign that Pentax engaged in some conspiracy to send the crappy lenses to particular retailers. It was always the luck of the draw, but it could be mitigated by dealing with companies who are more likely to send you newer stock, since the quality control issues seem to have improved over time.
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
Curious as to where you got your 16-50, as i have been told by others there is problems with this particular lens
I agree with Aerodave that a connection between sellers and defective units is mere conjecture. I've read posts where folks speculate that returned lenses get resold without repair. Only proof would be a known defective serial # that has been recycled.

That said, I purchased both my DA* 16-50s from B&H - first one had focus issues and the second is just plain awesome. I admit to being extremely annoyed by the 1st unit - even considered returning and opting for the Tammy 17-50. But I gave it one more go and am happy with the decision. B&H gives you 15 days to return an item in new condition. I think I filled out my RMA at midnight on the 15th day. No problems. Great company...
06-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #30
Nubi

I agree that by and large I am sure that SDM works just fine. Many of members here have many copies without problems. It may well be that it is blown out of proportion. That being said, I have a bad copy of 50-135, which is not all that famous for SDM failure. No matter how rare those incidence maybe, but if it happened to you after spending a considerable amount of money, having to deal with it will very much be a complete nuisance. For me I don't use AF that much, so I never sent it in for a repair, and I don't plan on doing that. But, like I said, I won't buy another SDM equipped lenses ever again, largely because there are so many other options.