Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
music_lover

I must have a Pentax K-7

I am by no means a newbie to Pentax Cameras, but I am a newbie to the forums.
I started with my very 1st Slr 27 or 28 years ago with a Canon AE-1, and still have it, and continued to use it for at least 6 or 7 years. Around 1992 got my 2nd Slr, a Minolta Maxxum 500si, loved it even better then the AE-1, and used it for a good 6- 8 years. Around 2001 or 02 Got my 1st DSLR a Pentax ist DL, kept it a year or so till the Nikon D40 came out and got it, still use it till this day, 6-6-10. My next Camera was a Canon XSI, and 2 or 3 months later got the Nikon D60, used both of thos for awhile till I decide to trade them in for a Nikon D90 (a Demo model) which over exposed somewhat badly, like it was defective, which were inside shots, but outside it HAD THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PICTURES I HAD EVER SEEN, regardless I wasn't happy as far inside shots go, and so got rid of it and othe Nikon stuff for $675. and my last Decision is to come right where I started from Pentax, and I made my rounds

In the next 6 months or so I will be getting me a Pentax K-7, all because of the impressive reviews I have seen. I was actually thinking about waiting to see the Canon 50D replacement which is the 60d (due somewhere in 3 months or so, as it is final stages of testing, and about to go into Production, or so I have read)
SO, ALL YOU LOVERS OF PENTAX GEAR, I AM HOME FOR NOW, trying to gather some moolah for my Pentax K-7, any Sugeest on the Kit I am hoping to eventually put together below:
Pentax K-7 Body
Pentax 16-50 F2.8 Lens
Pentax 50-200 or 50-300
Pentax 12-24
Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip
Pentax AF-540 Flash and maybe 2 of these for Wireless Flash
a Pentax off Camera Hot Shoe
a Pentax Connecting Cord for off Camera Flash
MicroFlip Flash Bracket (at BHPotoVideo)

Any Like or Dislike this Outfit or got suggestions.

Anybody got Pictures of their Pentax Equipment they want to share, please see my new thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/104276-anybody-have-p...ml#post1072144

Or how about any photos you have to share taken with your K Series Camera, please below
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/104278-anybody-want-s...ml#post1072150

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:32 PM.
06-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Way to go on coming around to a very wise decision. The K-7 is a great camera, and as soon as it's in your hands you'll never want to put it down.

As for your kit, I think it seems like a pretty well-rounded setup. I would only offer a few suggestions based on what you're looking at:

Get the DA 55-300 over the 50-200. The 55-300 is sharper and faster at all common focal lengths, and the extra length certainly doesn't hurt.

Don't bother with a second AF-540 flash if you're only wanting wireless control. The K-7's pop-up flash will serve as a wireless master, and can be configured to contribute to the photo's illumination or not. Sure, a second shoe-mounted flash is good for creating "better" light from the front sector, but it's not necessary for doing wireless.

Consider at least one of the spectacular Limited primes. A smallish, well-built, and solid body like the K-7 deserves a small, well-built lens to go with it. Pick a focal length you might like to have as a small, portable kit and get the Limited that comes closest. Maybe a 15mm or 21mm for wide angle landscapes and streetscapes? Maybe a 35mm for a normal perspective and the occasional macro. Or maybe a 70mm for unobtrusive candids and portraits? No matter what, you can't go wrong. And no matter what, once you buy one Limited, you'll eventually own them all given enough time.
06-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Nubi

Well, 6 months from now, there will probably a new model that replaces k-7, so you might be able to get one pretty cheap there.

Seems like what you are planning is thoughtful, and cover a wide range of focal lengths.

I say this a lot, but it depends on what kind of photography you do.

I for one is not a big fan of zoom lenses. The only one I own is DA*50-135 with a busted SDM. I use this, almost like a prime lens, exclusively at 135mm, because the IQ of this lens is outstanding, and i cannot afford A* 135. I manual focus a lot, so it does not bother me. DA*16-50 has had very well publicized SDM/AF problem. Personally, I will never ever buy another pentax lens with SDM again.

I also suggest looking at older lenses. One of the biggest advantage of pentax camera is the backward lens compatibility.

Good luck with your endeavor!!
06-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
music_lover

Uh, Yeah, I actually forgot to mention maybe a 50mm in either a F1.4 or 2.8 whichever is better.
And thanks for the good Comments!

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:31 PM.
06-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Well, 6 months from now, there will probably a new model that replaces k-7, so you might be able to get one pretty cheap there.

Seems like what you are planning is thoughtful, and cover a wide range of focal lengths.

I say this a lot, but it depends on what kind of photography you do.

I for one is not a big fan of zoom lenses. The only one I own is DA*50-135 with a busted SDM. I use this, almost like a prime lens, exclusively at 135mm, because the IQ of this lens is outstanding, and i cannot afford A* 135. I manual focus a lot, so it does not bother me. DA*16-50 has had very well publicized SDM/AF problem. Personally, I will never ever buy another pentax lens with SDM again.

I also suggest looking at older lenses. One of the biggest advantage of pentax camera is the backward lens compatibility.

Good luck with your endeavor!!

What do you recomend in the 16-50's place?

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:30 PM.
06-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Nubi

I would get a DA 15 ltd, and FA 50, and use your footwork.

I am a huge proponent of prime lenses. You will "see" more when you move around.

Sorry, this is probably not what you had in mind.

But, this is what I have within 15-50 range (at the moment):

DA 15 ltd
DA 21 ltd
FA 31 ltd
DA 35 ltd macro
DA 40 ltd
Zeiss zk 50 (used to have FA 50 - dropped it and died)

Yes yes yes I know this is going to cost a fortune. But you see, I have an addiction . . . .
06-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
music_lover

I would get a DA 15 ltd, and FA 50, and use your footwork.

I am a huge proponent of prime lenses. You will "see" more when you move around.

Sorry, this is probably not what you had in mind.

But, this is what I have within 15-50 range (at the moment):

DA 15 ltd
DA 21 ltd
FA 31 ltd
DA 35 ltd macro
DA 40 ltd
Zeiss zk 50 (used to have FA 50 - dropped it and died)

Yes yes yes I know this is going to cost a fortune. But you see, I have an addiction . . . .

...and you say you hate Photography? but you have an addiction?

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:30 PM.
06-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
music_lover

Oh, and I have got a good one for anybody who really love their K-7
I was reading a PopPhoto.com Article regarding a K-7 Test comparing it to the Canon 7D!
Guess which won out in Color Reproduction?
The Canon had something like a 7.7 and the Pentax had a 8.4, which was said to be better. From Images I have seen look good
The 3 or 4 Cameras I have looked at and thought about Buying were: Canon 7D, Canon 50D or it's Replacement the 60D with 18MP Coming soon, Canon T2I and the Pentax K-7
I AM GOING TO BUY A K-7, But i may wish I had waited to see the Canon 60D, as it has been said it will have 18mp and that will make it scrunched in between the T2I and 7D
I need a K-7 for it's weather Seals as I like being Outdoors

The above may explain why Pentax is talking about updating their K-7 and/or coming out with a Full Frame Camera so as to Compete with Canon, and Nikon, as Nikon is going to Replace the D90 with maybe D7000 or D8000 a step above the D5000, of course those are rumours being spread on Nikon's Forum

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:29 PM.
06-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
...and you say you hate Photography? but you have an addiction?
Well, it is a love-hate relationship. I did not reveal the other half of it, I guess. Thank you for tuning in though.

Oh, as for my addiction, you will be pressed to find that my symptoms are very very minor. As you meet more folks out here, you will find that there are some people who may well be at the end stage of their diseases, with their inventory well over a hundred . . . .

Last edited by Nubi; 06-07-2010 at 07:55 AM.
06-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What do you recomend in the 16-50's place?
Take a look at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8.

The DA* 16-50 has documented complaints of SDM failure and front/back focus issues. However, with the K-7 you can compensate for FF/BF. I own the Pentax 16-50 - had to return the 1st lens - the 2nd is fantastic. Wouldn't get rid of it...
06-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
music_lover

Well, it is a love-hate relationship. I did not reveal the other half of it, I guess. Thank you for tuning in though.

Oh, as for my addiction, you will be pressed to find that my symptoms are very very minor. As you meet more folks out here, you will find that there are some people who may well be at the end stage of their diseases, with their inventory well over a hundred . . . .

Uh-Hum, I was refering to your blog Sorry!

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:28 PM.
06-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Nubi

Uh-Hum, I was refering to your blog Sorry!
Oh, I meant, thank you for tuning onto my blog!!
06-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kricha,

You've got a pretty good line up there. Nubi is right about the DA*16-50's past problems. I can however give a testimonial that mine has worked well for me during a year of use. It has become my workhorse lens, and I value it most for its weather sealing and silent focus. Its high image quality is sort of a bonus.

On your list I'd go for the 55-300 over the 50-200 if you can afford it. Also, you could consider the newish Pentax D-FA 100 mm f/2.8 WR (weather resistant) macro lens. This would fill the telephoto prime hole in your lineup for portraits and candid shots, and also give you macro capability.
06-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Kricha,

You've got a pretty good line up there. Nubi is right about the DA*16-50's past problems. I can however give a testimonial that mine has worked well for me during a year of use. It has become my workhorse lens, and I value it most for its weather sealing and silent focus. Its high image quality is sort of a bonus.

On your list I'd go for the 55-300 over the 50-200 if you can afford it. Also, you could consider the newish Pentax D-FA 100 mm f/2.8 WR (weather resistant) macro lens. This would fill the telephoto prime hole in your lineup for portraits and candid shots, and also give you macro capability.

I am curious as to where you bought your 16-50 Lens?
I am asking for the reasoning as I hear places like amazon.com are selling bad copies, bhphotovideo. com has had a few bad copies

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:27 PM.
06-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am curious as to where you bought your 16-50 Lens?
I am asking for the reasoning as I hear places like amazon.com are selling bad copies, bhphotovideo. com has had a few bad copies
Bad in what way? And where did you hear this one from?

Also, Amazon doesn't sell anything--they represent thousands of resellers--so that's kind of a non-starter there.