Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But that's what makes it fun to watch (not the pedophile part). The absolute stupidity of it.

Sorry to HJ your thread Pete.

06-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Sorry to HJ your thread Pete.
I don't mind at all, and this could be interesting anyway. I've been in and out of various chatrooms for about 15 years, way back to when IRC was all you could find. I've seen so many threads go off in weird tangents you would be amazed, some get really interesting, some fizzle off into the ozone.

Ira - Yeah I know how tacky the props were. Wheels from grocery carts, peices of props from other projects, rejects from other movies, you name it. I have some old Buck Rogers movies on DVD. You think Lost In Space was tacky...Quite often when they show a spaceship landing - vertically - it's obvious it's a 10 inch tall plastic model on a miniature set, you can even see the wires sometimes. Buzz Corbett Space Cadet...Ooooh Yeah....Star Trek was pretty lame in the props department at times too.
06-13-2010, 02:42 AM   #18
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
You make me feel great cos I'm not the oldest on here.

But I'm not far away from you, but if I catch you up I'll let you know

BTW welcome to the forum.
06-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks...I think...

We need a bald smilie with a grey beard.

Just got my lenses, left them when I went to Oklahoma, thought they wouldn't really be needed while I learned the camera...WRONG...

Anyway I'm now swapping between the kit lens and SMC Pentax A 1:1.4 50mm and Auto Makinon MC 135mm 1:2.8 with/without Panagor 2x converter. Don't know why the Mak says auto, it's manual everything and no green A. But it's a nice lens. Got a couple of shots with it but nothing all that good, I'll keep trying. Planninig to be out watching the bird feeders in a half hour or so. Sparrows, Cardinals, a Red Bellied Woodpecker hangs around, Tufted Titmouse and a few others. PLus the usual Texas wildflowers too, and no telling what else I might find.

No problems getting it working, once I remembered I had to set the camera to ignore the missing A. Av mode seems to be working well, it's the only one I've tried so far. Went to the Blueberry festival in Nacogdoches Texas yesterday (yes that's teh correct spelling) but opted for the kit lens, I didn't want to be experimenting in a situation where I might lose a great shot because I didn't know what I was doing.

Got a few nice shots of the buildings in the oldest town in Texas, they still have the original brick streets, and some shots of the blueberry orchard, dragonfly and a few flowers in their flower beds. And the people of course. Trying to decide now if anything is worth posting...Some cool architecture there, and got a lot of B&W of the buildings.

One thing I noticed, I put a UV filter on the kit lens, and it seems the loros are a lot deeper now, or it may be the "Bright" setting. Going to try "Normal" today and see how it goes. Still not sure which will work better for me. Not sure if "vibrant" is useful or not...

06-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Is the Mak K or m42?
06-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Welcome Paleo Pete! It's nice to see you young guys hanging around here. Today is my 70th birthday, I find that it's never too late to learn new stuff.
06-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #22
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Welcome Paleo Pete! It's nice to see you young guys hanging around here. Today is my 70th birthday, I find that it's never too late to learn new stuff.
Happy Birthday to you (repeat twice) happy birthday dear jimH, happy birthday to you.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-15-2010 at 03:15 PM.
06-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Happy Birthday to you (repeat twice) happy bithday dear jimH, happy birthday to you.
Thank you, thank you very much!

06-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jim - Happy birthday from me too, that surprised me. Not many people call me a young guy...I'm not exactly a spring chicken any more...although my mother does have a half dozen spring chickens about to go in a coop outside.

But thanks for the welcome.

Looking at your avatar I thought you might be interested to find out I took some pictures of a couple of butterflies today, one a black swallowtail, I'm not sure which one, and a Buckeye. Not sure if any are good enough to post, but I've posted a couple of Hairstreaks already, and may have a yellow swallowtail good enough for public consumption.

Ira - all my lenses are K mounts. so far working great, I'm getting the feel of the manual focus again, it's been a while, and getting some nice shots. I think I have a couple edited and ready to post. Either tonight or tomorrow I should have some new pictures up.

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 06-14-2010 at 08:52 PM.
06-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #25
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
...although my mother does have a half dozen spring chickens about to go in a coop outside.
I always wanted chickens as a kid, but Brooklyn wasn't zoned for them.

Only rats.