Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Canon 50D to Pentax K20D convert.

Hi Guys and Gals.
I'm Netta and i'm glad to be a new member of the pentax family. I consider myself an amateur hobbyist. I recently (about 6 months ago) switched from my trusted canon 50D to a K20D and I've never looked back. My canon has definitely served me well. Funny enough, the main reason for my switch had to do with weather sealing (or lack thereof) on the 50D. I just couldn't justify any further investment in costly lenses that brought uncertainty out there in the field as far as protection goes.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my change. My new kit includes a 16-50 DA*, 50-135 DA*, and a Tamron 90mm macro (the best macro IMHO), pentax grip, plus other minor accessories.

Anyways, hope to learn quite a few tricks from all you seasoned (an not so seasoned) pentaxians.

Cheers!

06-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Bionetta Quote
Hi Guys and Gals.
I'm Netta and i'm glad to be a new member of the pentax family. I consider myself an amateur hobbyist. I recently (about 6 months ago) switched from my trusted canon 50D to a K20D and I've never looked back. My canon has definitely served me well. Funny enough, the main reason for my switch had to do with weather sealing (or lack thereof) on the 50D. I just couldn't justify any further investment in costly lenses that brought uncertainty out there in the field as far as protection goes.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my change. My new kit includes a 16-50 DA*, 50-135 DA*, and a Tamron 90mm macro (the best macro IMHO), pentax grip, plus other minor accessories.

Anyways, hope to learn quite a few tricks from all you seasoned (an not so seasoned) pentaxians.

Cheers!
Curious as to how do you compare the Pictures from both Cameras? Is one better then the other? or about the same?

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.
06-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome, and I am adding to your Rep. Why? Night Rider. Awesomeness.
06-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
As far as which camera takes "better" pictures, that's hard to say since it depends on the lens more than the body. I would have to say the k20d takes better photos simply because I'm using high end glass and can tweak that sucker to my hearts content. I've noticed the colors really "pop" (in a good way) wheras on the canon the colors were more subdued (as in slightly washed out) which may or may not be a bad thing. Prior to my canon, I've used an Olympus E420 and a nikon D3000 before that.

If I took four different photos of different scenes with each camera and showed them to you, I doubt you could tell Which cameras they came from. However, four different shots of the same scene and you can easily tell that some (canon) are slightly natural/subdued, others (pentax) are more color rich while maintaining detail, and others still have their own unique characteristics (Olympus and nikon). So I guess my point is, pixel peeping can really make one lose sleep.

Now as for lenses, that's a whole new ball game.

06-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
pixel peeping can really make one lose sleep
Amen.

Welcome to the family! You've got good lenses already. Now you will start to lust after older glass, just for the sake of it. Limiteds will also sing their song to you. You'll need "just another lens" to balance your kit. Your significant other will start frowning, unitl you get a second camera so you can share