Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #1

I'm a new member... and guidance needed...

Hello !
I'm happy to have happened onto this website recently, and plunked down my membership deposit this AM (just kidding - but I will donate).
I've been salivating at the prospect of buying a Kx plus lenses for some time, and have saved up sufficient pennies to do so that I'm ready to take the plunge. I want to get into HDR - that's one reason; another is I've always been partial to Pentax, I like the size and ergonomics and the non-snobbery of the Pentax world (which of course is being a snob in a contrarian way)...

So - here's the guidance and suggestions I would like:

1) Kx body, w/ the following lens options:
2) I would be willing to spend the extra $ on what seems to be a great walk-around lens - the DA* 16-50, assuming the quality assurance issues that have plagued it have been resolved. The forum postings here have been very helpful today in giving me confidence that they have been addressed, altho i sent Pentax an email message today asking them for that reassurance.
3) Originally I was interested in the DA 17-70 lens b/c i "live" in the 'translated' 24 - 105 range -- but what i have read of the DA*16-50 in quality comparison justifies the cost difference in my mind. (If the 17-70 was of DA* quality, that would be my probable choice b/c of the extended range.)
4) I also am interested in the DA 55-300 lens; here too the reviews and comments by members here have been very helpful, i understand the compromises, and the cost factor (it seems to be lots of lens for the price).
Thoughts ?
Thank you !

06-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #2

welcome to the forums (and thanks for the welcoming earlier !)

I own a K-x and you really can't go wrong with it, definitely one of the best if not the best entry level's out there.

I haven't been shooting for all that long but I think it's wise to put off buying lenses for a little while to get an idea for what sort of lens you would "need"

The kit lens is pretty good as far as kit lens go, and should give you a good range to start with.
If you find you have a hard time fitting your subject into the frame, a wide angle lens is a good starting point.
If you feel you need more range, then telephoto.
If you end up needing more speed, than a nice fast prime.

Basically what I did is buy myself some old pentax manual lenses.
and it gave me a good starting point to figure out what lenses I use the most.
Lenses are expensive so you want to make sure you'll use them.
Bought the old k-mounts for about 20$ each, and the optics are pretty good too.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to your photography.
06-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to our community!

I personally think your choices are well thought out. The DA 16-50 is not only of high quality, it is also a faster lens, offering better control over where you place your focus, through its shallower depth of field. And then it will provide some increased margin for low light level shooting. My own copy needed repair during its warranty period, but is optically a fine performer. Just be aware, that it is a much bigger lens, than the kit lens.

About the 55-300 I have read only good things, but as I don't have one myself, I cannot comment.

Ben
06-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't overlook the Tammy 28-75, since that also matches your dream range as you described it.

Don't have one, so I'm not recommending it for self-confirmation purposes.

06-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Don't overlook the Tammy 28-75, since that also matches your dream range as you described it.

Don't have one, so I'm not recommending it for self-confirmation purposes.
The 28mm corresponds to a "normal" lens for APS-C and the 28-75 (though a useful range on its own) lacks the wide angle part completely.

Ben
06-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the DA*, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a great lens. Although it's not weather sealed like the DA, it does provide surprisingly good IQ.

Some people are not interested in third party lenses at all, but there are some good lenses to be had at reasonable prices.

All the best & welcome in.