Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

New here, not new to photography

I have had some type of camera since the age of 5, including Kodak instamatic 126, 110 and super 8. Also Polaroids, a Minolta16mm still camera, various other garage sale and ebay purchases. My first 35mm still was a K1000, 1979 vintage, that I still have but does not work. I also have an SF1 with 35-70 and 80 - 200 lenses.

The only digital I have is an older Kodak. But I am ready to start using a DSLR. Someone on another type of forum suggested I consider a Pentax, as their is some sort of stabilizer built in to the body as opposed to the lens. I had been looking at Nikon as they seem to be everywhere.

Good to find this forum as I have been a Pentax guy for many years. Looking forward to some good, interesting info.

06-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board.
06-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here Bob.
If you haven't looked into Pentax much yet, consider the K-x - an excellent entry-level dSLR with advanced features you're not likely to grow out of for years to come.
06-15-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Hi, Bob.

You know that you can use old SLR Pentax lenses on the DSLR, right? Even M42 screw?

06-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Hi, Bob.

You know that you can use old SLR Pentax lenses on the DSLR, right? Even M42 screw?
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I am considering sticking with Pentax, might be able to buy one sooner since I could start with body only. One of my existing lenses is an SMC auto focus and another is a generic without, would both of these work?
06-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I am considering sticking with Pentax, might be able to buy one sooner since I could start with body only. One of my existing lenses is an SMC auto focus and another is a generic without, would both of these work?
I don't think the auto focus will work but I'm not sure. All my older lenses are old M42 screw-mount Takumars (or others), that don't have AF anyway.

Doesn't matter if it's Pentax brand or not, as long as it's a K mount, or an M42 and you get the M42 to K adapter for the body.

As far as metering, they all work, but it varies whether you're be able to use fully automatic metering, or whether you have to shoot aperture priority or manual.

And the thing about "manual" with the old lenses is that it's not really manual. You would set the aperture you want manually on the lens, and push a button which will automatically select the correct shutter speed for you.

It's real easy.

Another thing:

If you get the Kx, you basically HAVE to get it with the 18-55 kit lens, because there's hardly any savings to just getting the body.