Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Good day

Hello,
Joined up a few days ago with the intent of lurking and learning, but I just couldn't help myself posting in a bird photography shot. So I might as well do the proper thing and post here.

Right. I'm a biologist/musician from Amsterdam. I tend to flip between periods of intense music writing and bad photography, and at present it's the latter. I've been doing this since I was a kid, and I've been using Pentax pretty much the whole time (started with my dad's ME, still have his MX). My main subjects are wildlife and bands.

So far, photography has mostly been about documenting for me. I can still be extremely ecstatic with a blurry pic showing just enough detail to allow for proper identification of some weird bird flying over. But since I went digital maybe four years ago, I've been realising that with a big memory card I can now afford to take so many pictures in a row that I can actually spend some time on the composition of a few of them. New phase, and that's why I'm here, really.

I'll probably mostly be absorbing knowledge, limiting myself to comments on wildlife pics. I hope that's OK.

Oh, my kit. Eh, it's in my profile. These days I pretty much exclusively use my k100D in combination with a cheap f=5.5-5.6 Tamron 80-200 mm AF lens or my ancient Novoflex Noflexar f=8/600 mm manual fast-focusing lens.

I've read the rules, but that won't mean I make any accidental slip-ups. I take very well to being corrected, so knock yourself out .

Orang

06-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. Looks like the Photolady has some competition in the Avatar. I'm actually going to have to look at the name from now on..

The first correction I would make, since you indicated you are open to it, is you don't have enough lenses. How can you take pictures without a big bag of lenses? (I hope the sarcasm translates into your language)..

06-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board.
06-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Welcome aboard. Looks like the Photolady has some competition in the Avatar. I'm actually going to have to look at the name from now on..
Just spotted that, yeah. Hers is a Red-Tailed Hawk, mine is a Hobby, a small Eurasian falcon. How could you possibly confuse them?

QuoteQuote:
The first correction I would make, since you indicated you are open to it, is you don't have enough lenses. How can you take pictures without a big bag of lenses? (I hope the sarcasm translates into your language)..

Unfortuately the sarcasm translates all to well, which probably is why I have 15-or-so guitars ;D. I try to better myself when it comes to photo gear. Like the majority of the people in my city I've never felt the need to learn how to drive, so carrying tonnes on my bike isn't really something I look forward to.

Thanks for the welcome .

06-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
Just spotted that, yeah. Hers is a Red-Tailed Hawk, mine is a Hobby, a small Eurasian falcon. How could you possibly confuse them?

Unfortuately the sarcasm translates all to well, which probably is why I have 15-or-so guitars ;D. I try to better myself when it comes to photo gear. Like the majority of the people in my city I've never felt the need to learn how to drive, so carrying tonnes on my bike isn't really something I look forward to.

Thanks for the welcome .

I'm at 12 and if I ever find the Rickenbacker I'm looking for at a price I'm willing to pay, it will be 13.

06-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
Oh dear ;D.

So, is it called GAS in the photography world as well?

(As in Gear Acquisition Syndrome,a disease known to many musicians)
06-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Inactive Account

If it's lenses, it's commonly referred to as LBA, Lens Buying Addiction. An offshoot is CBA, Camera Buying Addiction. There are many musicians here so GAS probably fits quite well.

06-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
Heheheh. Figures.

I must say, I rarely suffer from either (I wanted that Novoflex for about 20 years, then finally got it 6 years ago... it's only now I'm finally trying it properly). I am lusting after the K-7, tbh, but I don't photograph enough to justify buying one. We'll see .
06-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Sometimes controlling that lust is the best thing to do as well as the hardest. For probably the last 20 years, I wanted a Gretsch (GAS).. Last year I wound up with no less than 4, beginning with this one...

Quickly followed by this one..

Naturally you can't play guitars like those through a garbage solid state amp so the Vox pictured behind them was part of the same GAS session.

Of course, never being satisfied, for at least as long I also always wanted a Martin HD-28 (sold my Gibson songwriter to get it)..

My addictions go in phases. Never combined but one always right behind the other. Don't get me started on a buying addiction I finally beat 6 years ago, TBA, Train Buying Addiction.

06-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
Nice! Oddly enough I did most of my guitar buying in the early 90s.. I've only acquired two since. But yeah, dangle a nice Gretsch in front of me and it does trigger some reflexes, yes ;D.

Guitar photography is an art by itself, BTW...

Last edited by OJGoreng; 06-27-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Bad typography
06-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
Don't get me started on a buying addiction I finally beat 6 years ago, TBA, Train Buying Addiction.

I'm not even gonna ask if it's model trains. The mental image of someone having a back yard full of actual trains is too precious to ruin.

I noticed another similarity with the used instruments market here, BTW... the liberal misuse of the term "mint" (i.e., "never touched by a human") ;D.
06-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
I'm not even gonna ask if it's model trains. The mental image of someone having a back yard full of actual trains is too precious to ruin.

I noticed another similarity with the used instruments market here, BTW... the liberal misuse of the term "mint" (i.e., "never touched by a human") ;D.
Ok, I'll let you keep that image for awhile

I never use it myself but I've run across the Mint moniker in all of my buying fetishes. Another favorite is Like New. New comes from the factory (via a store), in a new box, includes a warranty, and there is opportunity for exchange if something isn't right.

If pictures are included, the moderators here try to keep the descriptions realistic by asking the seller to make a necessary adjustment if needed.

01-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #13

Original Poster
If it's lenses, it's commonly referred to as LBA, Lens Buying Addiction. An offshoot is CBA, Camera Buying Addiction. There are many musicians here so GAS probably fits quite well.

Upon which I foolishly wrote: " Heheheh. Figures.

I must say, I rarely suffer from either (I wanted that Novoflex for about 20 years, then finally got it 6 years ago... it's only now I'm finally trying it properly). I am lusting after the K-7, tbh, but I don't photograph enough to justify buying one. We'll see ."

I take it back ;D. In the mean time I got a new Tamron 70-300 (to replace my 70-200) and with a bit of luck, next week I might very well be able to afford a k-5. I'm also adding to my Novoflex system, though part of me thinks I should grow up and ditch the luddite in me. Maybe I should just join the herd and save up for a Bigma for my bird photography addiction.

And because I have nothing useful to say, here's one of the first (lucky) shots I took with this lens (the new Tamron, that is). From a technical point of view it's barely a photograph, but from a "these sparrowhaws tend to be impossibly fast and are always slightly out-of-focus when I use manual focus" perspective, I'm very happy. It does show the rather unpleasant CA of the lens, and I'm wondering if part of the weirdness in the background is the image stabilizer having difficulty with the fast pulling movement of the lens.

And to balance that out, a photo of another sparrowhawk, taken with my beloved Novoflex 600 mm. Somehow everything comes out looking somewhat warm with that lens. I do so hope focusing is a bit easier with the k-5's viewfinder; this demonstrates exactly what I meant above, and the bird is actually sitting still....

Both images somewhat cropped for composition.

As you were .
01-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

Only 8 guitars here, but nothing off the charts expensive.

I can live with a MIM Telecaster.
01-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I don't know how the Tamron 70-300 will behave on the K5, I think I actually sold mine before I bought the camera. It's one of those lenses however that's just prone to that kind of thing (PF). There are very easy ways to fix it in post processing but the scenes you show, it will almost always be there. I can show it with more expensive lenses too to I don't think it's just a function of the lens.

I've shown these a number of times before. .

With PF..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4461130910_691f28d55e_o.jpg

Fixed.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4461762122_70913a773f_o.jpg

Getting the White balance correct goes a long way in preventing PF but in some cases, it's just unavoidable.