Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New around here

Hello Everyone. I'm a proud owner of a K10D after coming from Nikon (Film) and Canon (Digital). Finally I went to the manufacturer that I wanted back in 1978. Allow me to tell my story. And please forgive me if is too long.

Back in 78 I went to New Yord with my parents and my brother, sadly they all passed away. I was 13 years old and I planned to buy an LX. I already studied every possible option in those days, and the LX met and succeeded my expectations. My brother, hard core Nikon user (and freak) told me: What? A Pentax? no no no no... Get what the REAL photographers are getting. Get a Nikon. Well, what else can I say. I was young and my brother was my hero, so I forgot about Pentax and came out of Adorama with a brand new FE. What I didn't realized, but until a few hours later, is that he didn't had where to put his old 28mm and Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm, so he told me: "See? Now you have the camera plus two lenses"... I said, ok well.

After I was robbed in 1990 my FE served me well, but a teardrop rolled down my cheeks every time I saw an LX in Modern Photography. Got married in 1991, and replaced the stolen FE with an AF body, a 6006. Purchased a 35-135mm and a Tamron 90-300mm. But my outfit was never completely satisfying. I don't know why. Got a few bunch of keepers with it, but film and processing costs forced me to abandon photography almost completely until 2001. One day at home I went looking for my 6006, and guess what. One of my small kids punched the shutter with a finger. The back was already open and couldn't close it. Cameraless again That year my brother went to Miami for a medical treatment, and I told him to get me a N80, then I purchased a used F100 locally. Also bought a 18-35mm. Back in business

In 2003 I was without a job and five kids to feed, so I started selling things. Sadly I couldn't save my photography equipment. Sold the N80, the 18-35 a flash, and kept the F100. A few days later the F100 failed completely. Took it to Panama with a friend, and asked for a quote for fixing it: 600$ WHAT!!! Not in a million years. Again without a camera.

In 2005 I had the chance to get a digital body with a friend in New York. Since I didn't have enough Nikon lenses to justify my loyalty, I said: Now is the time to switch. Quickly researching the market I realized the Canon Digital Rebel was the best (and cheapest) DSLR around, so I ordered one. I also bought a fine 70-200 f:4 L lens. Great lens indeed.

We are now in 2007. I've been watching Pentax resurrect from the dead and come up with outstanding models. When I saw the K10D I thought: "My Goodness, what a fine piece of equipment". Silently waited, and waited, until the time was right. Last Friday I ordered my K10D with the kit, the grip and a cheap lens, the 75-300mm J FA. Soon I will get better glass, but right now I need to make the jump FAST!

The camera will be in my hands, hopefully by the end of the month, since I still need to figure out how to ship it from a friend's house in Miami to my hands in Venezuela, without costing me too much.

So finally, at last I got my Pentax I'm so thrilled.

Thanks for reading my story, I hope it wasn't bothersome.

08-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a story !

Welcome to the forum !
08-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great story! welcome to the fold!
08-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome aboard. After reading your story all I can say is it's about time. Enjoy the K10 and post lot's of shots.

08-16-2007, 04:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. Sometimes it takes people a lifetime before they see the light.
08-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all your comments. And here is the first image. Taken by my friend in Miami this morning. WOOHOO!!!
Attached Images