Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Farewell

Well I suppose if this is the arrival lounge then it must also be considered the departure gate.

I shall be packing my bags and going alas but I would wish all those that I have come to know and respect the best of luck with all their endeavours in photography and life generally.

Their are two basic reasons why I have decided to leave these pastures. The first is that I feel that here the technology comes before the photography and to me it is the end product that matters not the process of getting there, an old fashioned, even snobbish sentiment I know, but that's the way it is and I am perfectly well aware that it does not fit in with any commercial interests that may permeate or support this forum.

Secondly I fear that that a Euro centric liberal is ill suited to a predominantly US based and populated forum. It's not just the Politics thread but a whole ethos that gently hums in the background as I read through the postings in all sections. I will admit though that Parallax's moderation of my last thread really was the limit. My view is to be respected but not published apparently. I sobbed with both laughter and sadness upon reading that especially as no hint, let alone sensible explanation was offered for this ludicrous state of affairs.

So goodbye and good luck to all.

Justin.

07-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't really see why you need to leave heck I know that the overall tone of things here might be American centric but if we loss the voices from around the world does it do anything to make this place a better site to hang out ?
I know that your recent experience in the P&R section may have tainted your view of our little slice of the net but for the most part many of us here are harmless.
07-12-2010, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I don't really see why you need to leave heck I know that the overall tone of things here might be American centric but if we loss the voices from around the world does it do anything to make this place a better site to hang out ?
I know that your recent experience in the P&R section may have tainted your view of our little slice of the net but for the most part many of us here are harmless.
Nice of you to say so Gokenin but it's not just the US v The rest of the world angle that got to me in the end it's more this general clean up being undertaken before the boss comes round, the boss being commercial interests. I know that the mods will be keen to deny this but consider the presence of the B&H thread, (a company that means nothing to anybody this side of the pond BTW), and the recent admission that Pentax are regular visitors to this site. If they want to use it as a market research tool then they should do so honestly and openly, and pay for it, not scurry around behind the bushes pretending it's nothing to do with them.

There is also an air of condescension where posters are looked upon as naughty little boys and girls who need to be kept in check by their elders and betters. The Greetings post in the P&R section was an absolute master class in talking down to people in a chummy sort of way and then to cap it all we are not allowed to chat about it!! Honestly, the irony of it, I really didn't know whether to laugh at or pity the poor mod who was told to take that line. But there you go, I'm not one to be herded so I'll leave the flock and if that makes it slightly less cosmopolitan as you kindly suggest then I'm genuinely sorry but look to the way the site is run for remedial action.

Sorry, forgot to add that there are a great deal of posters here who are not just harmless but are both intelligent and helpful and I thank them sincerely for the advice given.
07-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Funny, I've been feeling the same about photoforum.com. - appears to be populated by those to the east of us. A bit cliquish. I'll leave you a thumbs up for at least saying goodbye and being sophisticated in your remarks. Good Luck and Happy Trekking.

07-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I guess you mistook this forum for a politics forum. We're here to discuss Pentax. If you want politics, there are lots of other forums for that.
07-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got here so, it is very premature of me to get in to this sort of discussions.
I have been a photographer, a decent one if I am permitted to say so, and having the means, collected all sort of gears and taken images which were displayed in local galleries but, never been accepted as one of their own. I gave it up and am in persuit of my own satisfaction and that is what I discovered for myself. You do not give up what you beleive in because of others but, you do it because you want it.
What ever is your calling go for it. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Harish
07-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dragonfly

Well yes indeed I have discussed Pentax many times and fallen out over that also having been told what I'm meant to be thinking. I read many of the threads but only really got involved with the politics from then on as a divergence of views was expected, there would be no such thing as politics otherwise.

Harish.

I know exactly where you are coming from there and I must admit to being a little jaded myself. I was asked to cover an 80th party in April, I took a small deposit on the promise of further print sales. I then sweated my b8lls off for an hour and a half and got the pictures she wanted. Not a peep from her since and this is not an isolated case. I've been thinking along the lines you took (metaphorically at least), bin the digital and return to the darkroom

EyeSpy

Thank you for your kind words, with the advent of Twitter, Facebook etc I think that forums are changing generally. It was sad to watch the demise of the British Journal of Photography forum as that was an early and completely open site, it just ran into the sands as it's members got bored with the constant yap of technology rather than the considered debate of the craft and I see this happening elsewhere. IT people do tend to be a bit cliquey and it's noticeable here to a certain extent but there are still some good people around.

Last edited by justinr; 07-13-2010 at 04:44 AM.
07-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

With film, you discuss the technology of the darkroom. How you use different chemicals and techniques to create different effects. With DSLRs, you do it via the sensor, and post production. Basically a different kind of technology.

If you're talking about critiquing each other's photos as to bokeh, DOF, edge sharpness, that doesn't sound like all that much fun to me, and I know it's not to the majority of people.

The Politics and Religion forums are a different story, and I would dump those in a HEARTBEAT. I don't think they have a place here...there are members who ONLY spend their time there...and it just creates friction and problems.
07-13-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
With film, you discuss the technology of the darkroom. How you use different chemicals and techniques to create different effects. With DSLRs, you do it via the sensor, and post production. Basically a different kind of technology.

If you're talking about critiquing each other's photos as to bokeh, DOF, edge sharpness, that doesn't sound like all that much fun to me, and I know it's not to the majority of people.

The Politics and Religion forums are a different story, and I would dump those in a HEARTBEAT. I don't think they have a place here...there are members who ONLY spend their time there...and it just creates friction and problems.
This is turning into a long goodbye.

I would disagree to an extent with your first point. Certainly chemical/paper/film combinations were discussed before digital but only as a periphery to the central intention of creating images, and this only with B&W as colour was nearly always the preserve of the lab. Bokeh is a term I never heard until recently, the term DoF served perfectly well, but it was the content, the narrative or the impression conveyed by an image that excited me and like minded souls when I first got involved with the craft. Clinically perfect pictures of seagulls may nice to glance at but what do they add to the sum of human understanding and interpretation of the world?

As I politely pointed out in another post (now erased) having a section where members can blow there tops probably helps prevent strong language elsewhere. Having said that I do wonder that if instead of expressing our passions in political threads we channelled them via the camera to inject some feeling into our pictures the craft, rather than just the technique of recording scenes, of photography may once again be appreciated for what it was.

Last edited by justinr; 07-13-2010 at 05:33 AM.
07-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
Secondly I fear that that a Euro centric liberal is ill suited to a predominantly US based and populated forum. It's not just the Politics thread but a whole ethos that gently hums in the background as I read through the postings in all sections.
You mean to tell me this site isn't run by Canadians! (shocked emoticon)

Call me insensitive, but these types of threads almost always come across as a violin drama cliche type of event. I guess it happens so often, that it's hard to take it to heart anymore.
07-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You mean to tell me this site isn't run by Canadians! (shocked emoticon)

Call me insensitive, but these types of threads almost always come across as a violin drama cliche type of event. I guess it happens so often, that it's hard to take it to heart anymore.
Hell,,, I thought the FINN`S were in charge.
Don`t like it, leave it.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-13-2010 at 04:37 PM.
07-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

I do wonder that if instead of expressing our passions in political threads we channelled them via the camera...
No, you should run for office and see if you can do a better job. Seriously.
07-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter

It sounds like your major problem is that you spend too much time in the Pol/Rel Forum and not the one of the Photo Sharing and Galleries forums such as "Post Your Photo," "Photo Critque," or "Mini-Challenges and Games" . . .

Edit: Some of us are here for imagery AND gear including collecting vintage Pentax gear. Also, I haven't been in there since all the threads were moved to that Forum. I have found things 100x better.

Last edited by Blue; 07-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.
07-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Inactive Account

So long Sporty!!

07-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote

Secondly I fear that that a Euro centric liberal is ill suited to a predominantly US based and populated forum.

Justin.
Hmmm. Must just be the befuddled American in me talking, but where I come from any mindset with "-centric" as a suffix is the antithesis of "liberal".