Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New to Pentax

My name is Sean Kelley. I've always dreamed of becoming a good photographer, though, I have never really had the equipment to pursue that dream. Over the past 15 years I have drown myself in a sea of mediocre 'point and shoot' cameras. The affordability of good DSLR's have always been out of range for me considering my other hobbies can be expensive and have always taken precedence. Recently, with the help of my girlfriend, god bless her, I've realized that in order to fill the creative void left by years of 'Auto' settings, I needed to 'buck-up' and spring for an nice camera. This Monday I received, via UPS, a new Pentax K10D w/ 18-55mm kit lens. Expecting that three years of photography classes I took 15 years ago would suddenly manifest itself into my photos, I immediately ran out back and started snapping shots... of everything, much to the amusement of my girlfriend. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed with most of the shots. Over all, I felt the camera preformed exactly as it should, I just have a lot to learn about photography! (Which is why I am here.) I was hoping that this forum would help me to I learn and grow as an amateur photog. Please feel free to give me constructive criticism when I post photos, however, considering my total lack of experience, I don't feel that I am qualified to return the favor. Here are a few pics that I took after setting up the custom settings and shooting in aperture priority / depth of field on the first night. A bit under exposed and slightly out of focus (should have used manual focus).

08-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats on your K10D. It's a great camera.

Your photos did not post correctly, or there were not available while I was looking at your post. FYI
08-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmmmm....
I think the site was just busy. I checked them from another computer and they poped up. Maybe hit refresh? I dun-no? Thanks for the 'Congrats'... I'm super stoked on the 10d. Now I just need to invest in some nice lenses!
08-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #4

I dunno, those turned out pretty well. That first flower is nice and sharp with great colours. I think you'll do well with that camera if your results continue like that. I know the DSLR is a steep learning curve. I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Welcome.

08-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Your photos are loading now. Not sure why there was a problem.

I really like the first one. I cant explain why. I just know what I like.

The other two look a bit soft. I am no expert. It just seems to me that they are a bit out of focus. Getting the dogs eyes in sharp focus would have greatly improved the third one.
08-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Iron Lion and welcome.
I was looking evrywhere but didn't find your pics.

Flickr: Photos from jpmb76
Flickr: Just PENTAX!