Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick hello from a new member here

Hey folks.. I've been lurking for a while and just started posting some and figured I should at least introduce myself.

My name is Tom and I live in New Jersey. I've been interested in photography for quite some time now, close to 20 years or so. I had always shot 35mm film with either Olympus or Pentax cameras. After a while, maybe 10 years ago, the cost of developing was really starting to piss me off so I just gave it up...

Then, things went digital. When I hit the digital era I started out with a Casio (max res was 640x480). Not impressed with the results, I bought an Olympus P&S 35mm film camera as I had already sold long ago my slr gear. After a while I decided to try digital again and purchased a Kodak EasyShare something or other, I still have it but, the photos are marginal at best so, I kept that Olympus P&S around some more..

Finally, after a few years I decided it was time to try digital yet again and I purchased a Canon PowerShot A520... This is the camera that changed my attitude towards digital photography. That Canon repeatedly, and still does, take amazing photos. When people ask, what P&S should I buy? I always recommend the Canon PowerShot series..

After using the Canon for a year or so I did recognize it's limitations as well as where I wanted to be when it came to digital photography.. I read every review, asked thousands of questions it seemed, and thought for sure, that I would buy the Canon EOS 5D or 30D, or, possibly even the XTi. I even considered the Nikon D200 fairly seriously there for a while.. Then of course the Pentax K10D hit the scene.. I waited, and waited some more.. Finally people started talking about them on the net, people actually owned them! I waited a little while longer still yet and, it became apparent that the K10D was a monster of a dSLR.. That was the one for me!

I've owned the K10D now for 3 months, have taken 10,700 photos with it, and my total investment to date in camera, gear, etc is about $3000. Not only have I dipped my toe back into photography a little bit, I'm soaking wet!

So, what do I photograph? Well, mostly anything. My absolute favorite would be landscape with architecture a not so close second. Though, I'm interested in wildlife and macro as well and am looking forward to some new lens purchases to aid me in that area.

So, how do you take 10,700 photos in 3 months or so? Spend a month traveling in England, Wales and Spain.. I took about 3600 photos on that trip alone. The other 7100 photos were 'test' shots, or, getting-to-know-my-gear shots, to make sure I didn't screw up the photos from my trip

Well, that's all I got. Later.

08-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum (from a South Jersey member).

I'm had my K10D just about as long as you have had yours but I'm still in that "testing" phase. I think I'm just under 4,000.

So, with all that travel and all those photos you should have a few good ones to post. Lets see 'em.....
08-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sure.. Here's one..

Took this in Wales about three weeks ago.

K10D / DA 16-45 w/ NDG .04

Last edited by Tom M; 09-15-2007 at 07:24 AM.