Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #1

Hello from Chicago!

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a little while (especially a lot more over the last couple of weeks). I had been researching which dslr camera I wanted to start with and it came down to either the Canon T1i or the Pentax K-x. I ended up choosing the K-x and so far I've been very happy with it. The only problems I've had so far are all my fault for not knowing what I should be doing to setup a shot.

I'm most excited about the marketplace since I only have the two kit lenses and a 50mm f/1.4 on the way I still have a couple gaps I would like filled but I'm not sure with what yet (like the best way to get macro shots).

Ive only had the camera for two days and have logged a 100+ shots a day trying to get used to it and I'm about to head out again today so I'll see you guys later

Current gear (not much):
K-x
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED
and I just bought an Asahi Pentax K2 w/50mm SMC f/1.4 Lens (for the lens) off of ebay then realized there was probably a marketplace here I could have gotten it from, oh well.

-Jacob

07-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! As indicated in my PM- I hope you enjoy the site, and I'm confident you'll find a lot of great resources here!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hello Jacob and welcome,

I have owned several manual focus Pentax lenses and enjoy using them. Regarding Macro, you will find a lot of options from modern autofocus lenses to used solutions.

I use manual focus lenses and a bellows. Actual enlarging lenses on a Asahi Pentax Autobellows, although they could be mounted on inexpensive tubes.

I mention this since you are already working with manual focus with you 50 1.4 lens.

Macro photography is manual focus for the most part and if you can work with stop down aperture setting on a manual focus lens then your options expand into older lenses or enlarging lenses.

I have an article located here if there is an interest.

http://sites.google.com/site/inexpensivemacrophotography/
07-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, enjoy both your new camera and the forum.

08-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.

Stover: I will have to look into bellows. I haven't quite figured out stop down photography with manual lenses yet but I'll get there. I'm also finding I'm having problems white balancing and my images are coming out blue.

I've have already briefly skimmed your site and it looks like exactly what I need to get my bearings straight for macro photography. Maybe when things are a little less hectic this weekend I can devout more time to it and picking out new gear to put on my wish list.

In other news I unfortunately ran into a problem with my 55-300mm lens having two 1mm+ chips in the front lens coating and a blemish or something inside or on the rear glass because whenever I take an picture with it I get a very ugly line.

I'm attempting to see if I can just swap out lenses because I don't want to give up this K-x and 18-55mm which are both in mint condition despite being used (I got the kit off of Amazon).

(I believe I'm following the rules correctly with these images if not please let me know - on the same note what is the best format to upload because my DNGs look so much nicer than these jpgs which are at photoshop's highest quality under save for web)

Name:  original.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  arrows.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  115.7 KB

Last edited by valuesize; 08-04-2010 at 12:27 AM.
08-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #6

Good luck with your lens chip. I am guess that you put the lens on a tripod for the the city shot. It looks like you took it near the Shedd Aquarium or in the area of the old Meggs Field. I lived in Chicago and the area for 15 years, love the city. I now live in the Pacific Northwest.

If you find that you do landscapes, you can get manual focus takumar lenses very inexpensively. I have a 200mm smc takumar f4 that cost about $80 and it has wonderful quality and build. I also own a smc 35 lens that is outstanding (all of them are). If your subject is not moving or moving slowly this is an easy way to get top quality lenses.

I think if you are starting out with macro, you may want to try inexpensive M42 tubes with a manual focus lens before bellows. Easier to find the tubes and less cost.

Steve
08-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #7

Hi Jacob, I'm also in Chicago and a Pentaxian. I've got the K-7 and the 35mm DA Macro Limited lens and it's a great combo for closeup photography. The lens focuses down to roughly 6", which is good for most of my macro subjects (plants, flowers, jewelry). If you need more working distance, I've rented the 100 macro and it's a super lens.
« Hi! | French member »