Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a great find, and my Rip Van Winkle experience

What a great forum to find.

I've been using Pentax cameras on and off since about 1979 or 1980 when I volunteered to be a photographer for the school yearbook and was issued a KX-1000 and sent off to some seminars for training. There are a lot grainy b&w photos in the ancient archives of some midwestern middle and secondary schools thanks to that. I also did most of my own processing from then until about 1989 when my free/cheap darkroom access ended. I lost my personal camera equipment in a weird accident in Lisbon about 1994, and made do with inferior, non SLR stuff until about 2005/6. At that time a friend had a istD that was sitting neglected and I was loaned that and a pair of middling zoom AF lenses. I have been playing with that kit intermittently the last few years. What a great camera. Having basically "taken a little nap" from my photography hobby, what a shock it is to effectively jump from SF10-type technology c. 1993 to then picking up an istD in 2005. A bit like Rip Van Winkle.

She's finally reclaiming the istD, so I did some noodling and bought a istDS myself this week, and some various lenses and a quality flash to go with it. Lurking on here for the last two weeks has really helped me find a huge wealth of technical opinions to help me fix some of the consistent problems I was having with IQ on the istD (short answer - junk the mid-level zooms and get a better flash!). I had some reasons for wanting to stay with the istD/DS platform for now, then jump to the newer K types in about two years.

Last edited by Oro; 08-10-2010 at 12:57 AM.
08-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Welcome! I'm glad you've found the site so helpful

The *istD and DS have have one thing that the K's don't, and that's TTL flash. Isn't it be great to be able to leave your flash in auto mode with manual lenses?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Oro

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam:
Isn't it be great to be able to leave your flash in auto mode with manual lenses?
Yes it is. That was one of the big reasons with wanting to stay in the D/DS realm for a little while longer. Thanks for the welcome.
08-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to photography.