Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Canada's East coast!

I'm a relatively new member...I've spent a little while browsing some of the forum boards looking for some information before getting around to introducing myself, and have found some GREAT tidbits!

I got into photography a few years back with the Pentax MZ-7 SLR, but drifted away from the hooby due to work and family life. I'm now back into it again recently with the purchase of the k-x with the 18-55 & 300mm telephoto lens kit. I'm really enjoying playing with the camera and getting back to the hobby.

I'm located in a community close to St. John's, in Newfoundland, Canada.

08-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new camera.
08-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
rhe

Photos: Albums
Welcome to a fellow Canuck!

You are fortunate to live in such a unique part of Canada. We spent a very enjoyable vacation in and around St.John's in July 2009. The Military Tattoo re-enactment at Signal Hill should not be missed.
08-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome. I'm from Quebec. Enjoy your Pentax and share views from your area!

08-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PlannermanNL Quote
Welcome to the forum new Pentaxian. NL is a photographers wetland imo.
Which is most likely the reason I haven't left yet

Did you happen to catch Busker street festival this past weekend?
One of the many pleasures of shooting down town SJ's

Placentia Bay, NL 2008

Don't be a stranger
08-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, as you can see, there's a few other Canadian folk around in here.
08-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all for the welcome!

Johnbee, I absolutley LOVE that photo from Placentia Bay. I did not get to attend the buskers as I was travelling.
08-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PlannermanNL Quote
I'm a relatively new member...I've spent a little while browsing some of the forum boards looking for some information before getting around to introducing myself, and have found some GREAT tidbits!

I got into photography a few years back with the Pentax MZ-7 SLR, but drifted away from the hooby due to work and family life. I'm now back into it again recently with the purchase of the k-x with the 18-55 & 300mm telephoto lens kit. I'm really enjoying playing with the camera and getting back to the hobby.

What's a "hooby", is that Newfie slang for "hobby".....eh?

Haven't been out to the maritimes yet, but it's on our to do list.

By your username I think we may have a similar career, fire me a PM on what you do and we might be able to compare notes (if you are what I think you are then the initials "MCIP" would be meaningful to you)

Welcome aboard.

08-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Leaf Fan. Since we're checking spelling and such. Newfoundland is not in the Maritimes. It's in Atlantic Canada, eh! You'd only know that if you lived in this region though.

Welcome to the forums PlannermanNL. I've been lucky enough to visit the "Rock" around 40 times (work) and it's a wonderful place for a photographer. What community are you in? There are some incredible seascapes and landscapes to shoot all over the island.
08-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
What community are you in? There are some incredible seascapes and landscapes to shoot all over the island.
St. Phillip's, just outside of St. John's. Most of the photoscapes that I like to experiment with are further afield, though. Mostly around the southern Avalon (where my wife is from) or from my hometown.
08-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
What's a "hooby", is that Newfie slang for "hobby".....eh?

Haven't been out to the maritimes yet, but it's on our to do list.

By your username I think we may have a similar career, fire me a PM on what you do and we might be able to compare notes (if you are what I think you are then the initials "MCIP" would be meaningful to you)
I've responded with a PM.

A "hooby" is what a hobby becomes when a cat is walking across a laptop balanced on a crossed leg!

I strong suggest a visit to the East Coast...all four of the Atlantic provinces, or all three of the Maritimes provinces, have fantastic sights to see (not unlike the rest of this great country!), and I think that you will find the air completely different from what you are used to!
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Hey Leaf Fan. Since we're checking spelling and such. Newfoundland is not in the Maritimes. It's in Atlantic Canada, eh! You'd only know that if you lived in this region though.
My apologies. Frankly, due to my own ignorance, anything east of Quebec is the Maritimes....