Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5
Hello from Canada's East coast!

I'm a relatively new member...I've spent a little while browsing some of the forum boards looking for some information before getting around to introducing myself, and have found some GREAT tidbits!

I got into photography a few years back with the Pentax MZ-7 SLR, but drifted away from the hooby due to work and family life. I'm now back into it again recently with the purchase of the k-x with the 18-55 & 300mm telephoto lens kit. I'm really enjoying playing with the camera and getting back to the hobby.

I'm located in a community close to St. John's, in Newfoundland, Canada.

08-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Oldschool's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,276
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new camera.
08-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
rhe
Senior Member
rhe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 271
Welcome to a fellow Canuck!

You are fortunate to live in such a unique part of Canada. We spent a very enjoyable vacation in and around St.John's in July 2009. The Military Tattoo re-enactment at Signal Hill should not be missed.
08-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,890
Welcome. I'm from Quebec. Enjoy your Pentax and share views from your area!

08-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,630
QuoteOriginally posted by PlannermanNL Quote
I'm located in a community close to St. John's, in Newfoundland, Canada.
Welcome to the forum new Pentaxian. NL is a photographers wetland imo.
Which is most likely the reason I haven't left yet

Did you happen to catch Busker street festival this past weekend?
One of the many pleasures of shooting down town SJ's


Placentia Bay, NL 2008

Don't be a stranger
08-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33,354
Welcome to the forum, as you can see, there's a few other Canadian folk around in here.
08-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5
Original Poster
Thanks all for the welcome!

Johnbee, I absolutley LOVE that photo from Placentia Bay. I did not get to attend the buskers as I was travelling.
08-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada eh!
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
QuoteOriginally posted by PlannermanNL Quote
I'm a relatively new member...I've spent a little while browsing some of the forum boards looking for some information before getting around to introducing myself, and have found some GREAT tidbits!

I got into photography a few years back with the Pentax MZ-7 SLR, but drifted away from the hooby due to work and family life. I'm now back into it again recently with the purchase of the k-x with the 18-55 & 300mm telephoto lens kit. I'm really enjoying playing with the camera and getting back to the hobby.

I'm located in a community close to St. John's, in Newfoundland, Canada.
What's a "hooby", is that Newfie slang for "hobby".....eh?

Haven't been out to the maritimes yet, but it's on our to do list.

By your username I think we may have a similar career, fire me a PM on what you do and we might be able to compare notes (if you are what I think you are then the initials "MCIP" would be meaningful to you)

Welcome aboard.

08-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
Hey Leaf Fan. Since we're checking spelling and such. Newfoundland is not in the Maritimes. It's in Atlantic Canada, eh! You'd only know that if you lived in this region though.

Welcome to the forums PlannermanNL. I've been lucky enough to visit the "Rock" around 40 times (work) and it's a wonderful place for a photographer. What community are you in? There are some incredible seascapes and landscapes to shoot all over the island.
08-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
What community are you in? There are some incredible seascapes and landscapes to shoot all over the island.
St. Phillip's, just outside of St. John's. Most of the photoscapes that I like to experiment with are further afield, though. Mostly around the southern Avalon (where my wife is from) or from my hometown.
08-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
What's a "hooby", is that Newfie slang for "hobby".....eh?

Haven't been out to the maritimes yet, but it's on our to do list.

By your username I think we may have a similar career, fire me a PM on what you do and we might be able to compare notes (if you are what I think you are then the initials "MCIP" would be meaningful to you)
I've responded with a PM.

A "hooby" is what a hobby becomes when a cat is walking across a laptop balanced on a crossed leg!

I strong suggest a visit to the East Coast...all four of the Atlantic provinces, or all three of the Maritimes provinces, have fantastic sights to see (not unlike the rest of this great country!), and I think that you will find the air completely different from what you are used to!
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada eh!
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Hey Leaf Fan. Since we're checking spelling and such. Newfoundland is not in the Maritimes. It's in Atlantic Canada, eh! You'd only know that if you lived in this region though.
My apologies. Frankly, due to my own ignorance, anything east of Quebec is the Maritimes....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from the East Coast of MN burtom Welcomes and Introductions 8 03-16-2010 05:14 PM
Greetings from Canada's east coast! Relic Welcomes and Introductions 7 04-09-2009 08:21 AM
Hi from Canada's West Coast Island Wirehead Welcomes and Introductions 4 01-27-2008 07:26 AM
East Coast Road TrailSeeker Monthly Photo Contests 0 01-06-2007 10:38 AM
Sleeping @ east coast TrailSeeker Post Your Photos! 4 11-29-2006 09:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top