Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from Florida

Hello all,

Semi-new Dslr user. Bought a K20 2 years ago with simple 18-55 kit lens...quickly added the smcp 50mm f/1.4 (love this lens). Just bought a k7 a few weeks ago (gonna convert k20 for dedicated IR), DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR and today a DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL (IF) from the market forum here. I have recently had the time to begin to experiment with manual controls and am eager to learn as much as possible from all you experienced users. Thanks.

08-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Welcome! How do you plan on converting the K20?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Hooray! Another Floridian!

What part?

Be sure to join our social group, except we ain't done much socializing yet:

PentaxForums.com - Florida Pentaxians

Once you join, it will appear as a new Forum at the bottom of your main Forums window.
08-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome! How do you plan on converting the K20?
Going to have either a 665nm amplified IR filter or 830nm B&W IR filter installed...haven't decided yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Hooray! Another Floridian!

What part?

Be sure to join our social group, except we ain't done much socializing yet:

PentaxForums.com - Florida Pentaxians

Once you join, it will appear as a new Forum at the bottom of your main Forums window.
Tampa Bay area...I'll check out the social group soon...thanks. Where you at?

Never mind I see you're from Coral Springs...I just moved here from Southern California so not too familiar where everythings at yet.

Last edited by gda13; 08-13-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: correction
08-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

If someone suggests Coral Springs for a future travel itinerary, don't bother. Pure, boring suburbia.

Have you checked out the dining in Ybor City yet?
08-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok...I wont save any memory card space for coral springs...however my wife and i did get to check out Ybor City, at least walking around. haven't eaten there yet but open to recommendations...the "farmers market" there wasn't very impressive however...any good recs?
08-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Going to have either a 665nm amplified IR filter or 830nm B&W IR filter installed...haven't decided yet.

Tampa Bay area...I'll check out the social group soon...thanks. Where you at?

Never mind I see you're from Coral Springs...I just moved here from Southern California so not too familiar where everythings at yet.
I moved here from SoCal 6 years ago. However, I'm originally from Florida. Enjoy the "wet heat."

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Ok...I wont save any memory card space for coral springs...however my wife and i did get to check out Ybor City, at least walking around. haven't eaten there yet but open to recommendations...the "farmers market" there wasn't very impressive however...any good recs?
You just moved here from the most agricultural state in the U.S. so Farmer's markets are a tough comparison.
08-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I moved here from SoCal 6 years ago. However, I'm originally from Florida. Enjoy the "wet heat."

You just moved here from the most agricultural state in the U.S. so Farmer's markets are a tough comparison.

You're not kidding...this humidity is crazy especially for someone like me who was used to working in a laboratory environment. However my wife being from vietnam loves it.

Perhaps, but I've been to a flea market down in St Petersburg that has a pretty impressive array of produce...just have to make sure and get there early before the heat takes its toll on the goods.

Last edited by gda13; 08-13-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
08-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome from a Fl. Gulfer I'm up around the big bend from you. about 60 miles south of Blue.
08-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

I don't know Ybor City very well. I've been in FL about 16 years (originally from Brooklyn), and I've been to the Tampa Area only once, to spend a weekend in Clearwater Beach.

And boy--was that a stupid drive to make. It's like the beaches down here, except on the wrong side.

There's a huge old place in Ybor that takes up a whole city block (Portuguese/seafood) that used to be a cigar factory. There's also an incredibly famous steakhouse near/in Tampa that everyone knows about, with a huge wine cellar.

As far as produce goes in the state, it won't compare to CA. Hell, even the Florida oranges you dream about aren't here--the ones they grow in FL are for juice, and the good eating ones come from CA.

At least up in Tampa, you can drive out of the state. Down where I am, it's a real PITA to go anywhere. We're going to The Keys on Tuesday for a few days (Marathon and south to Key West), and I really love it there. However, I wanted to drive up to New Orleans for the first time, but it's just too dang far.
08-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm looking forward to gettin down to the keys sometime too. Well I guess we're situated in a pretty decent spot as far as traveling goes...so far siesta key beach in sarasota has been my favorite. clearwaters ok but seems more like a tourist trap kind of place, fort de soto was pretty cool also. one thing produce wise that i like from here are the honey tangerines...they import them from here back in california but as far as other citrus california is definitely the way to go.
08-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. I look forward to seeing some of your IR shots.