Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from Mississippi

Just got a white K-x and am very happy. <--- this.
Very new to photography in actual practice, learning quickly the technical stuff and mixing that with what I can remember over the years. I got the K-x mainly for video. I plan to make many vids for YouTube, both extremely stupid comedy stuff as well as some music and more serious looking stuff. Have fiddled with audio for years and collected equipment gradually and now adding the video side so still learning Final Cut Express, etc.

Would like to report that just what few test shots I've done, iMovie and Final Cut Express have happily accepted my K-x footage. I think I read from somewhere else that what the programs do with the 24fps footage is duplicate every 5th frame so it adds up to 30fps. After stepping through frames in the software I'm pretty sure that's spot on. So I'm very thankful that it works so well in that regard.

The sound of course is not real good and I plan on using good mics with an external recorder anyway. There is definitely some strange mechanical noise that is constant when in movie mode and I have read up and tried the AE-lock and turning the shake reduction off and there's something else going on in there. No matter though, external is the way to go for "film type" stuff anyway.

I hope to share what I can as I learn things whether from just shooting green screen or editing and effects, etc. There's not much new here and no K-x work yet, but here's my channel for future reference: http://www.youtube.com/TheStringbox#p/a

Pleased to meet you.

08-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome- whenever you want to share your youtube vids here, just paste the link and the player will embed itself automatically
09-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #3

Hi from mississippi as well. What part are you from? I'm from West Point.

I'd love to see your k-x work, and here your experience with using it for film production. I'm about to shoot a short film on mine this coming weekend. I've been using the k-x for photogrpahy for a while but haven't had much chance to use the video function. So i'm a bit nervous about how the k-x will work out.
09-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey, I'm central. I've just a very small sample of some video here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/111925-k-x-sample-pics-clips-video.html

I've been away from messing with video recently but ready to start tinkering again. I do it just for enjoyment, but still plan on getting the best shots I can. Still new to DSLR's but I have learned that for video on the K-x it does help to switch the AE-L button to function as auto exposure lock. Then in the video mode I just aim at say a dark area or wherever I might wan the exposure to be balanced on then lock it so it's not changing while shooting. That's a preference of course. Might not always be necessary.

I really wish it had an ext mic input, but I'll be syncing up music and such in software later most of the time so recording audio separately is just something I'll have to get used to.

Besides the audio, if your software setup is good, the camera takes excellent video. I love it.