Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Lovn' it in Oregon

This forum looks like it will be very helpful and informative.
I left the film era behind (I still miss that good old Canon AE-1), moved on to a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and now have a K100D Super with the standard kit lens and a Tamron 18-300 zoom.

I'm loving digital but there is a lot to learn. I just started shooting in RAW, for instance, and now I find my photos are PEF files and am having issues using or even opening them. I must be missing something simple, as I had no issues until I switched to the RAW setting.

Looking forward to sharing and learning with this forum

08-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I don't shoot Raw, so I can't help you with your question, but someone will definitely answer your question.
08-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Forum Member

Not sure if you are a Windows or Mac user but if you use windows try downloading the "Free" Windows Live Photo Gallery software or Picasa if you dont have the software that came with the camera anymore.
08-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm using a PC with Win 7 and I have been using Live Photo Gallery for a while. But now I get a message that says, "Photo Gallery can't open this photo. The file may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted". I only run into issues when trying to work with pics taken in RAW.

A recent photo class had encouraged using RAW.

08-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome fellow Oregonian.
With RAW files you need to "develop" them. There some programs that will let you view them but don't give much processing option. Picasa is one of these. I use Picasa to view them and then edit them using Photoshop Elements. In PSE 6 I can set various parameters like exposure, white balance sharpening, etc. Then I can save as a TIF or JPEG. Your camera does all this for you when you shoot Jpegs. There is a free program called RAW Therapee that works pretty good but last time I used it it was having trouble with PEFs. The beauty of shooting RAW is that it gives you more flexibility in how the final print/jpeg turns out.
I am sure some others will chime in with better answers.
08-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to follow up with some more investigations of Live Photo Gallery and will also try a live chat with Pentax Support later this week.
08-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like the software your using is not PEF friendly.

Find some other software to use as RAW files allow you to do so much more with your photography.